This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
    Next week we'll be on the road - RV vacation. Maybe I'll post a "Linux from the Road" thread...
    Yeah! Our very own Oshun Kerouac

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
      ....Code Red...
      A lot of folks don't realize it, but while CodeRed was infecting millions of PC per hour, in the former Eastern Block countries a certain Linux distro, advertising itself as a Windows look & run-a-like, resulted in an infection of some 25,000 Linux boxes because that distro set the user up to run as root, to make things easier. The name of the Linux virus escapes me, but "Slapper" or "Slammer" (a variant of one which you mention?) comes to mind.

Here is an animated gif showing over a 14 hour period how explosive the growth of CodeRed infections were:
      http://www.caida.org/research/securi...-small-log.gif
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
        The name of the Linux virus escapes me, but "Slapper" or "Slammer" (a variant of one which you mention?) comes to mind.
        "Slammer" is SQL Slammer, one of the most devastating worms to hit the wild. To varying degrees, organizations such as airlines and power companies experienced costly service disruptions.
        Last edited by SteveRiley; Jun 28, 2012, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X