Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I got an IPAD for my birthday, what can I use it for?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got an IPAD for my birthday, what can I use it for?

I mean is there any chance at all of making it collaborate with any of my open source based archives of pictures, videos, music?

Anyone here having fun with an IPAD without letting apple run their lives?

It's a walled garden, designed to run your wallet. I have an iPod 4th Gen that I keep around for my grandson to play games on. And, I take the occasional picture or video. I transfer them to my Acer by plugging the iPod into a USB port, and when the dialog opens up I choose Dolphin, navigate to the DCIM folder, and drag and drop the jpgs and mov's that I want to save to my laptop. I never delete using Dolphin, I leave that task to iOS.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by heinkel_111 View Post
      I mean is there any chance at all of making it collaborate with any of my open source based archives of pictures, videos, music?

Anyone here having fun with an IPAD without letting apple run their lives?
      While not open source, the iPad is very good at what it does do. I'd suggest you just enjoy it and use it.

Comment

Well, Happy birthday!:grin:

I just got a new smart phone and am trying to figure out what to do with it.
        There is a thread on that.

Ken.
        Opinions are like rear-ends, everybody has one. Here's mine. (|)

Comment

Originally posted by lcorken View Post
          Well, Happy birthday!:grin:

I just got a new smart phone and am trying to figure out what to do with it.
          There is a thread on that.

Ken.
          IDK ..........make smart calls ......... LOL

what do you want to do with it ?

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

@ VINNY IDK ..........make smart calls ......... LOL

what do you want to do with it ?

I don't know anything smart. I don't know! My wife made me buy it!

Ken.
            Opinions are like rear-ends, everybody has one. Here's mine. (|)

Comment

Some ideas off the top of my head:

Door stop
              Shim for table with one short leg
              Small serving platter for appetizers

Personally I would use an iPad for any of these things before I turned it on. Apple makes MS look like Mother Theresa.

Comment

Originally posted by eggbert View Post
                Some ideas off the top of my head:

Door stop
                Shim for table with one short leg
                Small serving platter for appetizers

Personally I would use an iPad for any of these things before I turned it on. Apple makes MS look like Mother Theresa.
                Funny that, I was just musing to myself fairly recently that with companies like Apple and Oracle around, Microsoft has pretty much lost its boogeyman status
                sigpic
                "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
                -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Sell it and buy something nice... and from a company that supports linux or open source...

Please Read Me

Comment

read books from Project Gutenberg instead of paying Apple.

woodsmoke

Comment

The ipad is a lovely gadget. I use it all the time to read the news, check the weather, play bridge, log into Google mail, Check out Picasa, Blog on my numerous Google blogs, read all the Kubuntu documents, watch You Tube, etc. etc.
                      I use Dropbox from my Kubuntu desktop to move files to and from the ipad. I use Keepass on the ipad to manage my passwords --the same data file used by Keepass on the Kubuntu desktop.

The clarity of the ipad3 is wonderful. Yes I have spent a little bit of money on a few apps which I downloaded, but I have not spent $30 yet. Oh I forgot to tell you all the free books and free apps that are available.

I think it was a better buy than a Linux laptop that would have cost me twice as much.
                      "forgiveness is a gift to yourself"

Comment

There many free apps for the iPad. I've had mine nearly two years and still haven't paid Apple a dime (I won it in a raffle). My favorite app is Tagesschau, which allows me to watch the same news programs that Germans see on TV. The tablet format is sometimes just too convenient (e.g., surfing the web in bed). If I were to buy one, of course, it wouldn't be an Apple product.

Comment

I think it's a great tool to help you fix Kubuntu when it fails. This happened to me a number of times, but on the ipad I can access all my blog notes, as well as doing any other searches for answers....
                          "forgiveness is a gift to yourself"

Comment

you can aparently blend it .. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAl28d6tbko
                            Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                            (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48 View Post
                              you can aparently blend it .. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAl28d6tbko
                              Hilarious! Now that's what I call Apple juice
                              sigpic
                              "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
                              -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Working...
                              X