X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yet Another evolution article on Slashdot

Debate Over Evolution Will Soon Be History, Says Leakey

Disclaimer, I accept evolution and am a Christian. I see no conflict between Christianity and evolution, except for those who want to make it so.
    The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Oh thee of stout heart!

I was considering posting this!

Ekkkktually....I was quite surprised a few years ago to learn that the Catholic Church(proper) accepts evolution.

I have been in several relatively mainline "liturgical" churches which kind of skirt around it but say that evidently the Big Bang happened and that whether He did it in 7 days or 7 million years doesn't make it any less of a feat.....considering! lol

However, there are a couple of top tier liturgical churchs and a lot of the "fundamentalist" that don't.

But, what all of the "shouters", on either side, forget, is one simple thing..... whether one believes in it or not, that the situation does not affect one's ability to turn on a light switch with confidence that the light will indeed....light up the room.

woodsmoke

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
      ....I was quite surprised a few years ago to learn that the Catholic Church(proper) accepts evolution.
      Since 1956, I'm told. Around 1900 it'd get you excommunicated.
      I'm a catholic, and to me it's like the fundamentalists (er, young earth creationists) don't believe in God. Now I surely accept that they do, I'm just baffled.
      I've always been a sucker for door knocking evangelists, Jehovah's Witnesses mostly, and in recent years there's been a change in their stance. They're a lot more reasonable, and are more respectful. They no longer refer to the King James bible, but use a version that is based on the NRSV, I think.
      Regards, John Little

Comment

I don't accept Evolution.

I much prefer Thunderbird.
        I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

I accept evolution but I don't accept Darwinian theory.

7 days are relative. Our 7 days represent unthinkable eternity on the level of electrons.
          Ok, got it: Ashes come from burning.

Comment

Originally posted by SecretCode View Post

Comment

Originally posted by SecretCode View Post

Wry chuckle. I came to this thread thinking it was about the gnome thing, like, why on a Kubuntu forum...?
              Regards, John Little

Comment

Why?

Become no topic is forbidden and the only rule is that you remain respectful of the opinion of others even if you disagree with them. (Ergo, personal attacks and insults will get you censured or banned faster than saying you do or don't believe in ... say ... AGW. So, calling any who doesn't a "denier" is not kosher around here. Neither is calling those who do accept AGW "Marxist dups".)

Capiche?
                Last edited by GreyGeek; May 30, 2012, 07:38 PM.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
                  Since 1956, I'm told. Around 1900 it'd get you excommunicated.
                  I'm a catholic, and to me it's like the fundamentalists (er, young earth creationists) don't believe in God. Now I surely accept that they do, I'm just baffled.
                  I've always been a sucker for door knocking evangelists, Jehovah's Witnesses mostly, and in recent years there's been a change in their stance. They're a lot more reasonable, and are more respectful. They no longer refer to the King James bible, but use a version that is based on the NRSV, I think.
                  It's called the NAB (New American Bible), but I think the Douay-Reims Version is still used, especially in English-speaking Catholic areas outside the U.S.

Also, the "Father" (love the double meaning here) of the Big Bang theory was a Catholic priest and anstronomer, Fr. Georges Lemaître of Belgium.
                  The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

I'm not Italian, GG, but the word is capisci.

Czy rozumiesz?
                    Last edited by bsniadajewski; May 30, 2012, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Also, the "Father" (love the double meaning here) of the Big Bang theory was a Catholic priest and anstronomer, Fr. Georges Lemaître of Belgium.
                      Ok......THAT is just stunning ..... I will immediately research that.... and if correct, then..... I will include it in my lectures along with the positively despicable treatment of:

Mendle(by the lefties and the righties)
                      Heselon Mukuri
                      Rosalind Franklin
                      Alfred Wegener

And the IGNORING by the elite book publishers of:

Aether
                      Cold Fusion
                      Lamark

The second two Archeoptryx fossils
                      Piltdown Man

etc.

AND.....

Allll because......the great, all knowing "father" of science can DO NO WRONG

I DO hold an earned MS in Plant Ecology.

A LOT of people are "told" by "anti-evolutionists" that this and that is a fraud, and then they go to the college and are told by the "pro-evolutionists" that if you don't BELIEVE(notice believe) evolution then you are a stupid bohunk who ought to have your female children aborted.

Those students ARE NOT STUPID

Thus....I actually include the frauds and the NEW EVIDENCE YEA or NAY..... and actually SAY TO THE STUDENTS.....YOU....form your own INFORMED opinions....

do not accept the screaming of somebody on this side or that side....

YOU(the student) are, by definition, somewhat more informed than the average person....so make YOUR OWN decisions....

Thank you very bsniadajewski much for that small sentence.

woodsmoke
                      Last edited by woodsmoke; May 30, 2012, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Ok, I have actually been to see the "Hubble stuff" and some of his equipment.

Just as with Mukuri, who has been ERASED from the internet by the lefty elites so that Leaky can get the glory...

READ THIS:

Monsignor Georges Henri Joseph Édouard Lemaître ( 17 July 1894 – 20 June 1966) was a Belgian priest, astronomer and professor of physics at the Catholic University of Leuven.

He was the first person to propose the theory of the expansion of the Universe, widely misattributed to Edwin Hubble. He was also the first to derive what is now known as the Hubble's law and made the first estimation of what is now called the Hubble constant which he published in 1927, two years before Hubble's article. Lemaître also proposed what became known as the Big Bang theory of the origin of the Universe, which he called his 'hypothesis of the primeval atom'. As he was a secular priest, he was called Abbé, then, after being made a canon, Monseigneur.
                        I will probably NEVER be hired on as a full time professor at the college whereat I teach because I INCLUDE this kind of stuff to show that "religious people" are not stupid bohunks.

When people ask for, and I proffer, my "card" which says....."Have Knowledge Will Travel"... I get nothing but blank stares from the professors at my college....

But then, I got the same blank stares at a major land grant university which did seminal work in atomic imagry....

Anybody got a good teaching job someplace where I can rent a place and walk out on the beach and into the surf?

woodcaptainronindisguisesmoke
                        Last edited by woodsmoke; May 30, 2012, 09:35 PM.

Comment

No problem, woodsmoke.

Comment

Originally posted by bsniadajewski View Post
                            I'm not Italian, GG, but the word is capisci.

Czy rozumiesz?
                            I didn't know how to spell it so I looked it up with Google.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=capiche
                            capiche
                            1940s slang, from It. capisci? "do you understand?" from capire "to understand," from L. capere "seize, grasp, take" (see capable). Also spelled as coppish, kabish, capeesh, etc.
                            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I just used Wiktionary to look up understand and go from there. I clicked on the Italian translation (capire) and then clicked to show the conjugation paradigm (one of my favorite features of Wiktionary, showing the inflected forms of a word within the entry itself.) I did the same with the Polish (understand is rozumieć, the czy is a marker for question).

Comment

Working...
                              X