Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't know if woodsmoke did that, but you can turn off feedback icons under Help --> Show Feedback Icons.
    Regarding version - i think Amarok devs don't bump version in git, only on released tarball, ie. they only tag it in git, but don't change it in CMakeLists.txt.
    sigpic

Comment

I quite like the simplicity of Dragon Player however, as I watch videos from DVD's and Dragon Player does view DVD's when I've installed the codecs, I have to alter the video settings every time I play a new DVD. Couldn't there be a way of storing the video settings in a file stored in home for DVD use? The last time I used KDE I installed SMplayer which I found a very good video player for all types of videos.

Comment

Originally posted by nickstonefan View Post
        The last time I used KDE I installed SMplayer which I found a very good video player for all types of videos.
        Yes, it's ability to resume playing a video from the position where it was left off is a feature missing in VLC and perhaps all other players. +1
        Ok, got it: Ashes come from burning.

Comment

Hi Batty, Sumski, Nick and rms.

You guys are so smart!

As to the feedback, I didn't turn anything off, it is pretty stock, like I think that the average new person to Linux would use it.

I'll check though.

As to the git thing, I'll try that also.

woodsmoke

Comment

Strong dislike for Amarok since I first met it on Mepis. I install both banshee and Rhythmbox, either is good with me. VLC is awesome, plays everything.

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
              Yes, a CERTAIN OTHER PERSON here at the foums did that and .....ahem....SAID that he was going to give a writeup on it......his name shall remain DISCREETLY unstated! lol, naaah, he just forgot, he's a busy guy...
              Naw, he hasn't forgotten, he's just busy working for minimum wage and physically exhausted at the moment. And he became distracted by testing screen recording software as well as attempting to fix a free but broken printer using super glue until said printer ran out of magenta ink. Assuming we are speaking of the same person, that is

Comment

LOL
                My lips are permanently sealed by super glue! lol

woodsmoke

Comment

no one else likes Bangarang ?

VINNY
                  i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                  16GB RAM
                  Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I just don't care for it. If "it would just work", I'd use Amarok. That it doesn't, then my next choice would likely be xmms2.
                    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Going back to the OP here for a second

We pick one completely working "music player" that will play a music cd when popped in.
                      We pick one completely working "video player" that will play a DVD when popped in.

The above given that there would also a simple package of codecs etc. that can be downloaded for folks who need them so that new folks don't have to go on a safari to a dark jungle to find them, beating off large reptiles and other assorted carnivora.
                      How does each of our choices fit the above? That is the useful information needed, I think. Aside from the DVD decryption and some codecs not necessarily being legal that is. How do these tools help provide the most use for the most people in most cases and (hopefully) fit in with a KDE desktop?

Comment

As far as *buntu Linux is concerned, the best that can be said about the packaging decisions for what is or is not included in any .iso is simply this:

"They can please some of the people all the time, and all the people some of the time, but it is impossible to please all the people all the time."

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                          As far as *buntu Linux is concerned, the best that can be said about the packaging decisions for what is or is not included in any .iso is simply this:

"They can please some of the people all the time, and all the people some of the time, but it is impossible to please all the people all the time."
                          Must an iso fit on a CD or can't there be 2 versions, a full featured DVD and a trimmed down CD version? Most people have DVD burners now, myself, personally, will probably be looking to upgrade to a Blu-ray burner soon. Some distros have even abandoned i386, seriously folks, TWO sizes fits all now, lol. There are others like me that have a fast connection and a DVD burner, we are in the majority.

Comment

I'll say it again. There simply will never be a "one size fits all solution". It is an impossibility to please everyone.

Comment

To the several learned posters prior to this.

Yes, I agree COMPLETELY that there will never be one size fits all; but the direction that I was coming from was that it seems as if, now that Amarok plays cds, also provides the streaming media, and the lyrics and the wikipedia information, etc. etc. it is the most complete of the bunch "out of the box".

And people can choose not to use any/many of those functions for it to be "minimal".

Me, myself, I prefer the old XMMS and have so written in an article at Linux Forums, and it has SKINS....gazillions of them...

It also hooks nicely into gKrellm, which, ahem, also has gazillions of skins..

When running full blown Conky I prefer mpd because Conky has a "natural scripting" for it of some kind.

In terms of a close analog to XMMS there are a couple of players, Audacious, being one of them that can use the skins.

But, I have basically stayed out of this thread because I wanted the developers to have a way to get a sense of what the community likes.

I would ASSUME. ....that the devs might go with Amarok for the people who want a full featured player, especially the NEW to Linux people, and also another that can be minimal for the folks who do not like "bloatware"....

In that way they can provide for two disparate audiences.

Of course, then one also needs to consider the size of the cd/dvd.

So.....to the gentle readers....KEEP YOUR COMMENTS COMING...I am sure that the devs are interested, because...well......they SAID that they are interested!! lol

woodsmoke

Comment

...now that Amarok plays cds, ...
                                Really? Does it in fact recognize when an audio CD is insterted, mount it, read and display the album tracks, and allow one to start playing 'immediately'? If it does, then I may give the current version a try -- I have not as of yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X