Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it's not going to let me pick the .zip files till I do the wipe I guess .............hummm going to do it and if I cant sine in again I'll just go back

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Quantal isn't recognizing my G1, weird. I get nothing when I run
      Code:
      ./adb devices

Comment

Ah, had to do it after sudo-ing to root.

Comment

It appears you do need some kind of SIM card in the thing. I'm trying it without one and can't get past the "emergency dial" bit. Never tried to it this way before...

Comment

So in Section 1 "Rooting," big-step 1 "Get to 1.5 stock and flash recovery," little-step 2, did you:

(a) reboot into recovery with Home+Power
            (b) press Alt+L
            (c) SKIP BIT ABOUT PRESSING ALT+W
            (d) press Alt+S

Comment

Regarding ROMs... Once you get to the point where you can flash one, some options for you.

CyanogenMod 6.1 (last release before they dropped support for the HTC Dream):
              http://download.cyanogenmod.com/get/...-DS-signed.zip

Probably the most-used CyanogenMod 7.2 kang:
              http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1185027

A more basic Gingerbread build:
              http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=882356

Comment

Man, this thread is turning into some kind of rooting travelog... a rootalog!

Vinny, if you have a Windows machine handy, looks like it's possible to shortcut a lot of the steps with SuperOneClick:
                http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=803682

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                  So in Section 1 "Rooting," big-step 1 "Get to 1.5 stock and flash recovery," little-step 2, did you:

(a) reboot into recovery with Home+Power
                  (b) press Alt+L
                  (c) SKIP BIT ABOUT PRESSING ALT+W
                  (d) press Alt+S
                  yes I got all the way through that section (but half to do the bypass googel sine in part after little step1 before little step2) it was the next section (big step 2)I was waiting on ......but tryed it and am locked out of the phone again ......gota do it all again to save googel info as adb wont work on the 1.5ver just the 1.0 .
                  down on big step 2 it wont see the .zip files for some reason ......maby I played with the phone to much .......had a bunch of .mp3's on it

am starting over

VINNY
                  16GB RAM

Comment

Man, this thread is turning into some kind of rooting travelog... a rootalog!
                    Hah, funny you should mention that, some forums are so anal about posting in the right place, not hijacking threads, etc. This one is actually pretty easy going.

Comment

Regarding ROMs... Once you get to the point where you can flash one, some options for you.

CyanogenMod 6.1 (last release before they dropped support for the HTC Dream):
                      http://download.cyanogenmod.com/get/...-DS-signed.zip

Probably the most-used CyanogenMod 7.2 kang:
                      http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1185027

A more basic Gingerbread build:
                      http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=882356
                      at what point can one flash a rom and how do you do it ..........is it the same as loading the DREAIMG.nbh ?

VINNY
                      16GB RAM

Comment

A little Android tutoring.

The green-bot phone can boot into "fastboot" (the eng bootloader), into "recovery" (the recovery loader), or into Android (normal reboot). To fully own one's phone requires replacing all these parts, and of course each phone is a little different.

Section 1 documents this process. Big-step 1 explains how to get the phone into such a mode as you can then have complete control. You need all four of those files on the microSD, and don't forget to rename the .apk and the .img files -- I noticed the downloads had version number stuff, just change their names to flashrec.apk and recovery.img.

* Little-step 1: boots into fastboot and eliminates everything on the phone by laying down the original 1.0 build of the G1's operating system, contained in the DREAIMG.nbh file. At this point, the phone is unrooted and pretty locked down.
                        * Little-step 2: boots into the default recovery so that you can update the OS to version 1.5. In your case, it requires a diversion into the means to sign into Google via Wi-Fi, which you should do before you begin little-step 2. After you finish that diversion, perform little-step 2, but omit the Alt+W portion.
                        * Little-step 3: takes you to the Market to download a file manager, which allows you to install a replacement recovery.
                        * Little-step 4: install the replacement recovery. Now you're root.

There's probably another way to do little-steps 3 and 4, which I'm checking into.

Big-step 2, which requires erasing the four files already on the microSD and copying three others, should proceed just fine. It replaces the eng boot/SPL and the device's radio with newer versions. I'm not sure why they're borking for you?

Big-step 3 is yet another update to eng boot/SPL and radio.

Once you complete big-step 3, you're done with the root process. You can now freely install any G1 build of Android that you like.

Comment

A little Android tutoring.

Once you complete big-step 3, you're done with the root process. You can now freely install any G1 build of Android that you like.
                          I get all that ..........but lets say I get thrugh it all .........and DL the CyanogenMod 6.1 .........how do I install that?
                          just place it on the sd and fastboot?

VINNY
                          16GB RAM

Comment

Hey, Vinny...

http://pktos.blogspot.com/2010/07/ro...d-install.html

Looks promising. Gonna try it.

(Sorry I feel like such a newbie here... doing this on a phone without a SIM is a challenge, it appears. And, alas, I don't have a spare SIM to try it with. I'm worried about what T-Mobile might do if I use the one from my G2. It's part of a four-line grandfathered family plan, and I really don't want to mess that up!)

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                              I get all that ..........but lets say I get thrugh it all .........and DL the CyanogenMod 6.1 .........how do I install that?
                              just place it on the sd and fastboot?
                              Once you get through all the rooting and boot/SPL/radio updates, installing a new Android is easy. You'll do that through the recovery mode (not through fastboot).

Comment

ok ......just made it thru big step 2

VINNY
                                16GB RAM

Comment

Working...
                                X