X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Galaxy S II LTE (aka 4G)

phone/text
    NO facebook! hate farcebook (or twitter or yahoo, do those from home)
    news/weather
    browser (mostly search something)
    pictures (8MP/1080p video)
    games
    research words/calculator
    view bus schedules (local and long distance)
    view bank account/carrier account
    a few shopping apps
    I prefer to 'do' email from my PC
    Last edited by tek_heretik; Jun 30, 2012, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
      I believe that’s what Mr woodsmoke sead .............I will confirm when it arrives ........and I would love to get some guidance from you when it dose as I think you posted you do a lot of ROM switching around late at night with a gin and tonic or 2 ......LOL
      Haha, you pay too close attention

I actually have one of those G1 things. Haven't touched it since I got the G2 a year and a half ago. Let me take a look at what's new on the XDA-Developers forum for that phone.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
        Haha, you pay too close attention

I actually have one of those G1 things. Haven't touched it since I got the G2 a year and a half ago. Let me take a look at what's new on the XDA-Developers forum for that phone.
        OK so the woodsmokesgiftforgeeks came in today 8) and it is indeed the G1 ..........hears some info from "About phone"

Model number=T-mobile G1
        Firmware version=1.6
        Baseband version=62.50SC.20.17H_2.22.23.02
        Kernel version=2.6.29-00479-g3c7df37
        Build number=DMD64

after charging it up it seems to work vary nice and snapy .....it's hooked to my WPA wireless net now and I'm browsing the forum on it as I type this

sooooooo OK Mr. SteveRiley awaiting your guidance before I do anything to it .....LOL

VINNY

O and their is allso a Samsung Black Jack to play with ......
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
          sooooooo OK Mr. SteveRiley awaiting your guidance before I do anything to it .....LOL

O and their is allso a Samsung Black Jack to play with ......
          Alrighty...give me a day or so to find out what's new.

Woody sent you two phones?

Comment

Alrighty...give me a day or so to find out what's new.

Woody sent you two phones?
            he shure did ...... love ya woody .

will be waiting with itchy fingers (wanting to hack away) ..........LOL

VINNY
            16GB RAM

Comment

OK @SteveRiley point me to a good method to root and rom

I did a factory reset to it to wipe all woody's data ......now I cant get to the home screen because theirs no service to load my google acct. info and I cant get to the wireless settings until I can get to the home screen ........LOL catch 22

VINNY
              16GB RAM

Comment

so it has come to my attention that I will be needing the android-SDK and the SDK Platform-tools .......it's installed and currently DLing and updating the Android platform and the latest SDK Platform-tools to have the ADB and force the phone to open the wireless settings..............it seems LOL

VINNY
                16GB RAM

Comment

Yep... I haven't had an opportunity to engage in some research yet. I will on Saturday, and then I can recommend a ROM to use.

Comment

Hi guys
                    Vinny, the data transfer cable works fine, so you can load anything you need using that, I would ASSUME.

Also, I used the method of removing the card, although it is a great PAIN to do so the first few times, but the card just reads like an external device, so, again, stuff can just be dragged onto it, etc.

I would imagine that if one uses the Knoppix live cd that one could do just about anything to it using Knoppix tools, but again that is just a supposition, because I have no clue.

The one thing that happened with it is that I called the fellow from whom I bought it origianlly and asked him to check the you-tube vides on putting Kubuntu on it and said I would pay to do it because I didn't want to mess up the original OS, which may be in hardware ROM and couldn't be messed up anyway, but he did not call back, so, I figured either he didn't think it could be done, or didn't want to go to the trouble, or didn't want to insult me with a sky high price.

So......guys go for it and I am sure that others, such as I, are looking forward to seeing Kubu on it.

AS A SUGGESTION, and only a suggestion, if it does indeed work well, you guys might start a new thread with an appropriate name.

woodsmoke

Comment

OK so far I have gotten thru ROOTING as it discribes @hear http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1098899 step-1 only so far, after part 1 of step-1 I dropped to the bypass google sine in (wifi) section and used the adb shell to force the phone to the wireless settings setup so I could setup the phone using wireless instead of a data plan 8)

vinny@Vinnys-HP-G62:~$ lsusb
                      Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0020 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
                      Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0020 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
                      Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
                      Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
                      Bus 001 Device 003: ID 093a:2510 Pixart Imaging, Inc. Optical Mouse
                      Bus 002 Device 008: ID 0bb4:0c02 High Tech Computer Corp. Dream / ADP1 / G1 / Magic / Tattoo (Debug)
                      Bus 002 Device 004: ID 064e:f203 Suyin Corp.
                      Code:
                      root@Vinnys-HP-G62:/opt/android-sdk-linux/platform-tools# ./adb devices
                      * daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
                      * daemon started successfully *
                      List of devices attached 
                      HT846GZ16245    device
                      Code:
                      root@Vinnys-HP-G62:/opt/android-sdk-linux/platform-tools# ./adb shell
                      $ am start -a android.intent.action.MAIN -n com.android.settings/.Settings
                      Starting: Intent { action=android.intent.action.MAIN comp={com.android.settings/com.android.settings.Settings} }
                      $ exit
                      then proceeded to part 2,3 and 4 of step-1 without wiping in part 2 .

NOW should I go through step-2 without wiping or should I wipe and if I do will I be able to get adb to re force the wireless screen (on the bypass google sine in)it sead you must be on the stock 1.0 .......I'm on the 1.5 now ?

guess I'll just try it without the wipe .......LOL

VINNY
                      16GB RAM

Comment

Vinny... I'll take a look at the forums and find out what people recommend for various G1 ROMs.

Are you planning to use this device without a SIM card -- that is, purely as a pocket computer?

Also... I'm not sure that running Kubuntu on a G1 is going to be a pleasant experience. The G1 is already constrained with a slow processor and little free memory. Running *buntu alongside Android might be too much for the little guy. (Remember, *buntu on Android is not an actual OS replacement, but instead is something akin to running a guest OS inside a VM.)

Comment

Vinny... I'll take a look at the forums and find out what people recommend for various G1 ROMs.
                          cool ......

Are you planning to use this device without a SIM card -- that is, purely as a pocket computer?
                          yes probably , or with and no service ....cant afford service at this time.

Also... I'm not sure that running Kubuntu on a G1 is going to be a pleasant experience. The G1 is already constrained with a slow processor and little free memory. Running *buntu alongside Android might be too much for the little guy. (Remember, *buntu on Android is not an actual OS replacement, but instead is something akin to running a guest OS inside a VM.)
                          I have come to the same conclusion after reading up on some of that ............but still wanted your advice

and should I go ahead with wiping in step-2 of the guide? or will I lose my google info!!

VINNY
                          16GB RAM

Comment

Yes, do exactly as it says: don't wipe, just apply the update.

Comment

I'm gonna go get my old G1 and follow along.

Comment

I'm gonna go get my old G1 and follow along.
                                LOL ......ok going to start DLing the next 3 files now then

VINNY
                                16GB RAM

Comment

Working...
                                X