This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For what do you use your smartphone? & noLED

Since not all users use an android, we might mention the phone in our posts.

Here are the "usual uses" of my Samsung Galaxy Android phone.

NOTE: there is no "led" on this phone for a notification, there is only a sound notification, I downloaded "noLED" and it puts a visual notice on the screen for texts, phone calls, etc.

I got THOROUGHLY tired of having to push that stupid button every time after I had left the phone for a while.

I, personally, think that they did this for two reasons: a) to get that phone TIED TO THE KID so that the kid HAS to HAVE IT NEAR....LIVE WITH IT, EAT, BREATH with it. b) make it wear out more rapidly so you gotta buy a new one.

a) "wrist watch"
    b) texting with relatives, some business, a few students(in a pinch). ( I do the voice texting, it works very well).
    c) e-mail from, mainly the college(updates, notices, etc.) and students(peaking around begin of semester, exam times, and end of semester) but a lot of people apologizing for not getting to class.... and they REALLY appreciate a prompt and friendly reply.

i) due to this I have the settings set to check things every five minutes so as to save battery life and have a "signature" to the effect of having the phone wait to save battery life and that I replied as soon as possible upon receipt.

d) calendar sync
    e) "backup" alarm clock
    f) Finding miscellaneous information when visiting with people.
    g) Tracking my walking/jogging, I use Google's "My Tracks" and do the calculations myself.
    h) travel routes or maps when going someplace new.
    i) taking pictures in class of laboratory activities and some stuff other than that but not much and almost never of "friends" etc. because I don't want them taking pictures of me to put on various social sites either.
    j) flashlight
    k) "Box" sync for some files

Surprisingly I have never listened to music on it, and watched only part of a Sherlock Holmes (Jeremy Brett) on it! The ONE thing you see the young and restless doing on the adverts! lol

So.... any takers on what you do on your phone?

Well, I just have a basic flip-phone; but I have a Samsung Galaxy Player 4 running Android 2.3

Note Taking*
    Angry Birds
    Youtube
    3 eMail accounts
    Address Book*
    Calendar*
    Box.net, Dropbox & Google Drive
    Tappatalk
    Google+ & FB

*Synced with Google
    Last edited by jpenguin; May 25, 2012, 01:50 PM.
    Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Email, texting and other instant messaging (WhatsApp, sometimes Skype, in the past Microsoft Lync with work colleagues)
      Calendar
      Contacts and addresses including things like "when does the library close on a Friday"
      Listening to music and audio books and podcasts - a lot
      Note taking using various apps
      Reminders and to-do lists using various apps, none of which I am very happy with
      Maps and in-car navigation
      Taking photos when I don't have another camera around
      Occasional web access

and, sometimes, PHONE CALLS

(HTC Desire - Android)
      I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

I have an extremely cheap flip phone. Its dumb as a brick. I use it to:
        a) text
        b) make calls
        c) set alarms
        d) check the time
        e) do math that Im too lazy to do

I have no idea what Id do with a smart phone. Everything you guys listed I either dont need to do or can do much easier by hand.

Comment

Woodsmoke:

Probably 'all of the above' and more.

I have a Motorola Milestone 3 (aka Droid 3 / XT860). I had a Milestone 1 before that. Man, do they ever go obsolete FAST!! This device is not even a year old yet....

I find that it is becoming a 'must have' in my day to day work / life. Besides the usual stuff (all the apps) it also serves me as an Internet connection when traveling. We live in Canada, so as soon as I cross the border, I buy an AT&T (same as Canadian frequencies) SIM card, and a 'pay as you go' plan. I just keep topping up the data plan as I use it up. Not as fast as our home broadband (cable), but certainly good enough.

My Milestone has a physical keyboard. I'm unwilling to go to a 'soft' keyboard at the moment, but may have to as they become increasingly uncommon. Should they disappear, then I'm going to need a bluetooth keyboard, or else just use my netbook linked to the phone over wifi.

The phone has made me as 'hooked' on the 'net and constant communication as any kid would be, I'm sad to admit, even though I'm very close to retirement. I don't do social networking in any form, but text messaging is becoming a bigger part of my life, even replacing email in many instances.

The smartphone will eventually rule the world.

Frank.
          Linux: Powerful, open, elegant. Its all I use.

Comment

MyTouch 4G with T-Mobile.

Calls (obviously)
            Some texting
            Occasional facebook
            Music player (when I don't feel like breaking out my Creative Zen)
            Camera to take random snapshots. Anything important I use Canon digital camera.
            Check in with FourSquare
            Geocaching
            Google Maps when I'm out of town
            Biggest use - use as a modem at work. Phone is connected to my notebook, and I do all of my email/surfing/streaming audio off of it.

NO GAMES!

Comment

One more thing I use my phone for is reading. I have a collection of books to which I like to return while stuck in traffic jams, traveling along well known routes, waiting in boring cues etc.
              Ok, got it: Ashes come from burning.

Comment

WOAH WHAT A CORNUCOPIA of STUFF!!!

KEEP POSTING FOLKS!!! KEEEP POSTING NEW POSTS....

ScottyK,

if you are ever in the "midwest"....I would rather like to sync with you on geocacheing at my Elks "gentleman's" club.....women welcome also!!! for the absolute NOT FINDABLE cache...near the building!! LOL

LAST HINT!! lol

KEEP THE POSTS GOING FOLKS!!

rms:

OK, just shows how GEEKY THE OLD WOODSMOKER IS...

duuuuhh....I have been listeneing,, as of late, .....to....

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight .....( GIRDLE!!!!! ) audio book from Project Gutenberg ....where do you get your books?

I MEAN.......JUST HOW EROTIC CAN ONE GET!!! . ..A GREEN GIRDLE]!!!

Oh and yes, I also use it as a telephone!!!

woodsmoke
                Last edited by woodsmoke; May 25, 2012, 10:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
                  Project Gutenberg is a marvelous source only I don't have a thing for audio books and like to keep radars(i.e. ears ) to scanning surrounding environment.
                  Ok, got it: Ashes come from burning.

Comment

-calls
                    -text
                    -music
                    -surfing the net
                    -alarm clock
                    -calendar
                    -photographs and videos
                    -games

Comment

I use my smartphone (BlackBerry Bold) issued to me from work for truly novel purposes: Phone calls and email (sometimes texting).
                      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

lol

woodsmoke

Comment

I have a basic Samsung flip phone. I use it to send and receive phone calls when I am not at home.
                          I occasionally use it to take a picture if I don't have my "real" camera with me.
                          I occasionally use it as an alarm clock.
                          I hate texting and don't do it.
                          I don't use my phone much. My battery charge will last a week.
                          I also quit wearing a wrist watch.
                          Last edited by Detonate; May 27, 2012, 08:12 AM.

Comment

After many blissful years of using an old flip phone I finally got a smart
                            phone. Samsung Galaxy Sii. Not the latest and greatest but Kubuntu does
                            communicate with it.

Decided to reread this thread so I can figure out what to do with it.

So far all I am doing is learning how to use the silly thing.

Ken.
                            Opinions are like rear-ends, everybody has one. Here's mine. (|)

Comment

HTC-3G Tmobile
                              no service-at the moment
                              checking e-mail (synced with my Gmail)
                              playing my 1 game (jewels)
                              mp3's
                              vid (3gp)and youtube
                              O and whipping people with that whip sound .........LOL

although I have no service it will still connect to my wireless

VINNY
                              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                              16GB RAM
                              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
                              X