This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mageia 2 RC

I downloaded the live iso's of Mageia 2 (release candidate) one using KDE and the other using Gnome. When I booted the KDE disk I was quite impressed in how it looked. The interface was clean and "pretty" and discovered that they had used version 4.8.2 on the disk.

As it was a live cd and a release candidate I was surprised to discover that it had included audio and video codecs enabling me to play mp3's and other video formats that are not OGG Theora.

I was also a bit surprised that on the taskbar it displayed icons of running apps just like Windows 7. If I didn't know I was running KDE I would have thought it was Windows 7.

Overall the KDE variant was very stable and pleasant to work with. I may install this when the stable version is released on 22 May.

I also tried the Gnome variant and it too was quite pleasant to work with. I am going to have a tough decision to make as to which variant I will install.

I can confirm that Mageia 2 RC KDE has good quality. Even my broadcom wifi started working at once.
    But Mageia 1 or 2 has problem with my mobile internet (huawei e1750 usb modem) due to using already a bit outdated drakxtools, where some tools do not have quality of original kde tools, according me.
    Here is example how this is solved in ROSA http://wiki.rosalab.ru/en/index.php/...s_Replacements

Even on this basis, I decided to migrate on Kubuntu.
    And I am quite satisfied so far. :-)

Comment

Mageia only has one issue for me, is that its very small and doesnt have a lot of packages for it.
      Its not like say PClinux which was spun off from Mandriva but retained compatibility with it and has its own package maintainers.

Comment

Originally posted by dancingmadrb3 View Post
        Mageia only has one issue for me, is that its very small and doesnt have a lot of packages for it.
        I was running Mageia 1 from January to last week. But I did not feel this.
        But I must agree that Kubuntu is better not only in this.

And I must add that I feel more comfortably in Kubuntu than in Mageia.

Comment

Originally posted by ferri View Post
          I was running Mageia 1 from January to last week. But I did not feel this.
          But I must agree that Kubuntu is better not only in this.

And I must add that I feel more comfortably in Kubuntu than in Mageia.
          Well it depends on what you want and or need, and Mageia did not do neither for me.
          Still its a promising young distro, its got to mature a little thats all and attract more developers.

Comment

For me ROSA 2012 is more innovative than Mageia 2.
            Mageia 2 seems to me like Mandriva 2010 with KDE 4.8 and Mageia wallpaper. That's all new on it.

At present I am very curious what will be with original Mandriva, because they try to rise from the ashes.
            Last edited by ferri; May 22, 2012, 08:38 AM.

Comment

At present I am very curious what will be with original Mandriva, because they try to rise from the ashes.
              Loved the distro but they seem to be forever lost in financial hell.
              Ok, got it: Ashes come from burning.

Comment

Originally posted by rms View Post
                Loved the distro but they seem to be forever lost in financial hell.
                We will see. http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Mandriva...12_Development

Comment

We will see.
                  Eh, ferri, true we will see but do you know that even Germ left them(Mandriva) recently? Que sera, sera... I wish the best of luck to Mageia team & community.
                  Ok, got it: Ashes come from burning.

Comment

The availability of software & the fact that FGLRX releases are almost in-sync with ubuntu are the main reasons I stick with Kubuntu. I have 2 HDD;S though, and might gine this another try...
                    Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Working...
                    X