This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fire! Fire! Pants on Fire!! lol

This is just a hilarious article, not very long...

a) what IS "sponaneous" combustion? Inquiring minds want to know!
    b) What are the consituent components of a match?
    c) How many times is it that constitutes "never having pants catch fire"?

Inquiring minds want to know!

FIRE! FIRE! PANTS ON FIRE!

woodsmoke

http://encyclopedia2.thefreedictiona...mical+element)
    Phosphorus exhibits
    allotropy
    (i.e., it has multiple forms in the same physical state); the physical constants given above are for the common white phosphorus. White phosphorus is an extremely poisonous, yellow to white, waxy, solid substance, nearly insoluble in water but very soluble in carbon disulfide. When exposed to air it ignites spontaneously, burning to form white fumes of phosphorus pentoxide, P
    O
    . Because of its toxicity and pyrophoric nature, phosphorus is stored underwater. Contact with the skin may cause burns. White phosphorus is phosphorescent (i.e., glows without emitting heat).

When white phosphorus is heated to about 250°C; in the absence of air, it changes into the more stable red phosphorus. This form appears as dull, reddish-brown cubic crystals or amorphous powder. Its specific gravity is 2.34. The red form is less dangerous than the white form, but should be handled with caution. It is insoluble in carbon disulfide and most other solvents. It does not ignite unless heated to about 200°C;, does not phosphoresce, and is not poisonous. Another form of phosphorus is black phosphorus, a crystalline electrically conductive material similar to graphite in appearance. It was first prepared by P. W. Bridgman by heating white phosphorus to 200°C; under a pressure of 12,000 atmospheres. Its specific gravity is 2.70.
    Because of its chemical activity phosphorus does not occur uncombined in nature
    There is no form of naturally occurring Phosphorus that will spontaneously ignite in the presence of Oxygen. For that to happen the element must be extracted from a phosphate compound by chemical means. Gibbs Free Energy calculations shows that such a conversion from a compound to an elemental form will not naturally occur in nature. If White Phosphorus is kept under water or oil, or coated with Vaseline or some other heavy grease it is isolated from Oxygen in the air. But, wipe part of off and expose a section and you'll have spontaneous combustion take place.

Ergo, the Phosphorus on those "rocks" must be man-made. Some might want to blame the US military because Trestles Beach is just a few miles north of Camp Pendleton. However, the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), and numerous state/local law enforcement authorities throughout the United States, have noted an alarming trend involving illicit methamphetamine production. Methamphetamine (AKA speed, crank or meth) is a major drug problem in the United States, including California. Red phosphorus, white phosphorus and hypophosphorous acid products are used by clandestine methamphetamine laboratory operators to make Meth. A drug sub may have supplied the Phosphorus but some escaped.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

GG as usual your post is very informative and filled with information to which was hinted in the post.

It did occur to me that if all of the appropriate materials for a "match head" were present, and since she had several of them and also that she might have been "leaning" on the sink, that body movements might have provided enough fiction.

woodsmoke

Comment

In my other life, when I was a Field Artillery Officer in the US Army, I used White Phosphorus very often. It was used for different purposes. It was originally used to lay down smoke screens. We also used it to mark targets and as an incendiary. Our nickname for a White Phosphorus shell was "Willy Peter".

Comment

:eek:This thread also reminds me of a time when I burned my self on the leg with something in my pocket. Never put a 9V battery in your pocket if you have loose change in that pocket.:eek:

Comment

Detonate,

Up ten, right ten, fire for effect!

woodsmoke

Comment

Working...
            X