This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange issue with my BIOS

Now since this has little to do with Kubuntu I guess I will place this here.
    You see lately my BIOS screen has a tendency to flicker as if it has an issue with the vertical hold or something, or not appear and my screen will flash "Not support!" while on a blue screen (though not the blue screen of death as my system still boots)
    I am not to sure if my BIOS is failing or something and its got me worried that something is wrong with my MOBO or something, though dont know how this computer is barely a year old.
    Your thoughts?

Oh I may add: No I did not change the graphics card, its the same in built one that came with my mobo.
    This computer is one I made myself, I got specs at the ready if you need em.

Does this happen before or after the POST beep?

Is there a jumper on your motherboard you can move and then replace to effect a BIOS reset?

Comment

flicker as if it has an issue with the vertical hold or something, or not appear and my screen will flash "Not support!" while on a blue screen
      I'll have to add that the only times I've seen issues on a monitor where it says Not Supported was an issue where the monitor could not display the resolution the display device was outputting. If this is a new occurrence then I'd have to lean towards something amiss with the display device. If not the case there, then maybe the monitor for some reason can no longer display that resolution? I'd be interested to see what a BIOS reset does for you as Steve mentions.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
        Does this happen before or after the POST beep?

Is there a jumper on your motherboard you can move and then replace to effect a BIOS reset?
        Yes there is a way to reset the BIOS via the jumpers on this MOBO, I may try that.

Originally posted by MoonRise View Post
        I'll have to add that the only times I've seen issues on a monitor where it says Not Supported was an issue where the monitor could not display the resolution the display device was outputting. If this is a new occurrence then I'd have to lean towards something amiss with the display device. If not the case there, then maybe the monitor for some reason can no longer display that resolution? I'd be interested to see what a BIOS reset does for you as Steve mentions.
        I dont see how this can be an issue with my monitor/display as its not a new display I hooked up yesterday or anything.
        Its a flatscreen TV with VGA support and it never had an issue like this before.
        Last edited by dancingmadrb3; May 19, 2012, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Just an avenue to explore. Some monitors can't display a certain resolution. I know yours may have not done that before and you get it now. So two things might be an issue, not saying it is. That being the monitor for some reason no longer displays the resolution that is used during/after POST or the for some reason the display card is now sending a resolution the monitor does not understand. Here is another thought. I've had this happen as well. The cable on this very machine I'm using went bad. Don't know how or why it just did but as soon as I replaced it, no issues. Now that was a VGA cable, don't now how your's is attached. Just thoughts to help.

Comment

Yes I use a VGA cable, though dont see the issue with it as the pins are not bent nor is it old.... I got it with my TV.
            Its just an odd issue as this BIOS worked pretty okay with my TV until now, but every so often my BIOS screen flickers now.
            Very odd indeed.
            But if you guys are saying it might be a connection issue I might see if replacing the cable will work, but I wont replace it right away until I rule anything else out.

Comment

Working...
            X