Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wow, Microsoft has some nerve! Removing DVD playback...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, Microsoft has some nerve! Removing DVD playback...

in Windows 8, or pay more for the 'Pro' edition, and then pay even more to install their 'media pack'. Thank you for driving more PC users to Linux and Apple! You can read this ZDnet blog about this here... http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/n...onfusion/20181

Just a sub-note...this is exactly why XP Home was my LAST Microslop garbage to run on my machine(s). You can watch this video on the subject here (LinuxFanboy is me, the video is kind of old but on subject)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtQU-Cd0mEQ&feature=plcp

Edit: I was prompted in XP to download the 'digital' copy of Dark Knight but of course, it didn't work.
    Last edited by tek_heretik; May 09, 2012, 09:37 AM. Reason: Added new detail

A reasonable argument can be made about whether multimedia functions even belong in the core operating system. While this is likely to irrirate many folks, workarounds do exist.

And remember, it takes a bit of effort to get DVDs to play in *buntu, too. Either download and install a player with a built-in decoder (such as VLC) or do this:
    Code:
    sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh
    which works only after you install libdvdread4, either manually or by installing *-restricted-extras and then visiting a wiki page.

Comment

Hi all...

From the zdnet article.....

"I feel that Microsoft is making a big mistake here. While Apple has a streamlined one-size-fits-all OS X edition that contains everything users needs, Microsoft is once again juggling features in order to make the higher-priced edition of Windows more superior and desirable than the cheaper option, while at the same time giving OEMs yet more reason to install third-party crapware onto new systems."

I agree and I find this approach "disagreeable." Apparently, Microsoft isn't the only one. Apple has done the same thing. However, there are and, Lord willing, will be free alternatives such as VLC that include the decoder (libdvdcss) necessary to read DVD's.

Regards...
      Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
      How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
      PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

Originally posted by tek_heretik View Post
        in Windows 8, or pay more for the 'Pro' edition, and then pay even more to install their 'media pack'. Thank you for driving more PC users to Linux and Apple! You can read this ZDnet blog about this here... http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/n...onfusion/20181

Just a sub-note...this is exactly why XP Home was my LAST Microslop garbage to run on my machine(s). You can watch this video on the subject here (LinuxFanboy is me, the video is kind of old but on subject)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtQU-Cd0mEQ&feature=plcp
        Unlike previous versions of Windows, Microsoft said that the DVD playback can be added for just a few dollars instead of a major upgrade. I would imagine that computers shipped with a DVD drive will have it included and those without won't (ie. would a tablet need dvd playback without a dvd drive?).

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
          A reasonable argument can be made about whether multimedia functions even belong in the core operating system. While this is likely to irrirate many folks, workarounds do exist.

And remember, it takes a bit of effort to get DVDs to play in *buntu, too. Either download and install a player with a built-in decoder (such as VLC) or do this:
          Code:
          sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh
          which works only after you install libdvdread4, either manually or by installing *-restricted-extras and then visiting a wiki page.
          With all do respect Steve, have to disagree with you here, MOST distros will play a DVD 'out of the box'. And even if they don't, a simple 'fix' is FREE and most likely automatically prompted.

Comment

Originally posted by vw72 View Post
            Unlike previous versions of Windows, Microsoft said that the DVD playback can be added for just a few dollars instead of a major upgrade. I would imagine that computers shipped with a DVD drive will have it included and those without won't (ie. would a tablet need dvd playback without a dvd drive?).
            Hi vw...

In your mind, can this be compared to when Microsoft, starting with XP, stopped including Java, forcing the user to download and install the software for him/her self?

The exception here is that particular change didn't include a change in the price, something was traditionally free. It's the same way with DVD playback but now users are asked to pay for something that, previously, was free also.

It seems that the trend is going towards not only having to pay a tidy sum for the basic, core OS but also paying for everything else that is needed on top of it. I think it's reasonable to expect that users have a set of functions, including CD/DVD playback, that come included with the initial price of the computer (pre-installed) or a retail copy of Windows.

Regards...
            Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
            How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
            PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

Originally posted by ardvark71 View Post
              Hi vw...

In your mind, can this be compared to when Microsoft, starting with XP, stopped including Java, forcing the user to download and install the software for him/her self?

The exception here is that particular change didn't include a change in the price, something was traditionally free. It's the same way with DVD playback but now users are asked to pay for something that, previously, was free also.

It seems that the trend is going towards not only having to pay a tidy sum for the basic, core OS but also paying for everything else that is needed on top of it. I think it's reasonable to expect that users have a set of functions, including CD/DVD playback, that come included with the initial price of the computer (pre-installed) or a retail copy of Windows.

Regards...
              I don't think it is the same. I think MS (and Apple) is banking on that the DVD is dead and future content will be downloaded. Tablets don't include dvd drives and already laptops are being shipped without them. I think it is more like when most computers came with a CD-ROM and if you purchased a DVD drive, it came with the software to watch DVDs.

I do agree that MS and Apple would like to charge for a basic OS and then sell add-ons. MS, anyway, always wanted to go with a subscription type service, for their software. The fact that XP is still the most popular OS is not anything to brag about for MS because they aren't making any money from it.

I don't think this will be as big as a deal as it might seem. Win8 seems to be emphasizing tablets, although it will be installed on may a laptop and desktop (if for no other reason that Win7 will be discontinued). Manufacturers selling desktops and laptops that have DVD drives will include the codecs to play DVDs and it will all be figured into the selling price. What it does, though, is for those devices they are banking on, that don't have DVDs, it allows them to be more price competitive than Apple.

Don't get me wrong, I am by no means a Microsoft fan. But in this case, their decision actually seems to make business sense other than squeezing out the competition.

Comment

tek_heretik, I tend to agree with your conclusion in post #5.

I'm (more) generally concerned about the trend in the USA. We no longer manufacture a quantity of hard stuff--durable, tangible products. We are heavy on service, software, bank-service products, customer service, intangibles. They DO certainly have value (financial and utility). However, we seem to be taking product differentiation to an extreme undreamed of during our manufacturing era. Open a checking account, you have a dozen different levels of product to select from--some free, some not free. Software as marketed by M$ is, of course, another good example. We are squeezing nickels and dimes out of tight spots. We are inventing horse-sh* "value" by infinitely grading levels of product differentiation. I know, some of you will say this trend offers consumers more choices. Well, I wasn't born yesterday. I think I know value when I see it, when I feel it.

Now you guys can get back to the technical aspects of software marketing ...
                An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I don't think it is the same. I think MS (and Apple) is banking on that the DVD is dead and future content will be downloaded. Tablets don't include dvd drives and already laptops are being shipped without them. I think it is more like when most computers came with a CD-ROM and if you purchased a DVD drive, it came with the software to watch DVDs.

I do agree that MS and Apple would like to charge for a basic OS and then sell add-ons. MS, anyway, always wanted to go with a subscription type service, for their software. The fact that XP is still the most popular OS is not anything to brag about for MS because they aren't making any money from it.

I don't think this will be as big as a deal as it might seem. Win8 seems to be emphasizing tablets, although it will be installed on may a laptop and desktop (if for no other reason that Win7 will be discontinued). Manufacturers selling desktops and laptops that have DVD drives will include the codecs to play DVDs and it will all be figured into the selling price. What it does, though, is for those devices they are banking on, that don't have DVDs, it allows them to be more price competitive than Apple.

Don't get me wrong, I am by no means a Microsoft fan. But in this case, their decision actually seems to make business sense other than squeezing out the competition.
                  Why is everybody banking on the death of the PC? They aren't going away anytime soon, and every new PC pretty much comes with a Blu-Ray drive now, this is just another money saving tactic along with distancing themselves from DRM issues, once again putting the onus on the user. Microsoft has a history of breaking laws and at the same time, having legal fortress walls to absolve itself of any liabilities whatsoever. Want a steady well paying job? Join the Microsoft legal team, lol, you will NEVER be out of work!

This is an OS issue, NOT a hardware issue.
                  Last edited by tek_heretik; May 09, 2012, 11:41 AM. Reason: made one last point, lol

Comment

Tablets don't include dvd drives and already laptops are being shipped without them. I think it is more like when most computers came with a CD-ROM and if you purchased a DVD drive, it came with the software to watch DVDs.
                    Hi vw...

Thank you for your reply.

I take it that thumb drives are the new way to install an OS.

Regards....

Comment

Originally posted by tek_heretik View Post
                      Why is everybody banking on the death of the PC? They aren't going away anytime soon, and every new PC pretty much comes with a Blu-Ray drive now, this is just another money saving tactic along with distancing themselves from DRM issues, once again putting the onus on the user. Microsoft has a history of breaking laws and at the same time, having legal fortress walls to absolve itself of any liabilities whatsoever. Want a steady well paying job? Join the Microsoft legal team, lol, you will NEVER be out of work!

This is an OS issue, NOT a hardware issue.
                      I agree that the PC isn't going away anytime soon. However, the PC market is no longer a growth market. It costs just as much to develop a product for a niche market, a commodity market (like PCs) and a growth market. However, when it comes to profits, a growth market wins, hands down. Microsoft is in the business to seek profits. In the US, pretty much most people have PCs so the market is left to replacing aging equipment. There aren't enough sales in that market to sustain Microsoft. That is why, like Apple and even Ubuntu, they are pursuing tablets, phones and TV -- because that is where the money is to be made.

Look at stand alone dvd/blue ray sales, they are dropping. Why? Because of on-line services. Netbooks and Ultrabooks already dropped DVD players as standard equipment. If new hardware is not going to include a dvd drive (tablets, phones, tv, ultrabooks, etc.), why license the codecs for it? Instead, do what Linux does, those who want them, install them. Of course, unlike Linux, they won't be free (but they are rumored to only be $9).

Comment

Originally posted by ardvark71 View Post
                        Hi vw...

Thank you for your reply.

I take it that thumb drives are the new way to install an OS.

Regards....
                        That's how I install all of my operating systems, even if I have a CD/DVD drive. Then again, you can probably guess what kind of systems let you install from thumb drives!

Comment

I really don't see any problem with that decision. Think about it, when was, he last time u played a dvd? Most of the video we play are in files , like theora, mkv, wmv, mp4, among others. I am sure that companies like DELL or HP will include the rights by default or charge a little extra.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2
                          You can get me Using Threema: B6WSCFVY
                          Mastodon: @pookito@latinos.social
                          Jabber: pookito@neko.im

Comment

Look at stand alone dvd/blue ray sales, they are dropping. Why? Because of on-line services. Netbooks and Ultrabooks already dropped DVD players as standard equipment. If new hardware is not going to include a dvd drive (tablets, phones, tv, ultrabooks, etc.), why license the codecs for it? Instead, do what Linux does, those who want them, install them. Of course, unlike Linux, they won't be free (but they are rumored to only be $9).

True, true. Besides most of us r playing digital videos, not DVDs. They r a waste of money.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2
                            Last edited by pookito; May 10, 2012, 05:45 AM.
                            You can get me Using Threema: B6WSCFVY
                            Mastodon: @pookito@latinos.social
                            Jabber: pookito@neko.im

Comment

lol
                              that's why I purchased THREE of the "blowout" dvd players last year so that I can still watch Nick and Nora Charles twenty years from now! lol

woodsmoke

Comment

Working...
                              X