This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Inkscape Guru Wanted - svgz image

I have been trying to edit the image branding.svgz which sits in the kmenu, from this

to this

Now this might seem a strange thing to do with the only difference between the two images being the colour of the text.

The problem I'm having is this;

Whenever I edit this image and save it plasma refuses to load it. It's as if it isn't there.
    For the life of me I don't see why this is.

The process seems fairly straightforward; ungroup the image, select the text component and change to white. Re-group the image. Save.

Anyone?
    Kubuntu 12.04 - Acer Aspire 5750G

"I don't make a great deal of money, but I'm ok with that 'cause I don't hurt a lot of people in the process either"

Maybe it is something about the file format. What comes to mind is what happened when I tried to put a background for grub menu(also didn't show). And it didn't load because image was in sRGB format. Then I loaded it in Gimp and saved as RGB and now it is there. Ask the people at KDE forum.
    Last edited by rms; May 03, 2012, 02:57 AM.
    Ok, got it: Ashes come from burning.

Comment

There are more than one way to skin the cat...

Inkscape

The process seems fairly straightforward; ungroup the image, select the text component and change to white. Re-group the image. Save.
      or

use the "Edit Paths by the nodes (F2)", Pick the letter, pick the color. No need to ungroup and regroup.

Cache

The KDE loves to cache things. After the changes you need to flush the cache. That is: remove the cache so the changes can be seen.

1) Stop the plasma: kquitapp plasma-desktop
      (Kickoff is a plasma widget)
      2) Browsing to the ~/.kde/cache-Quantal/ and deleting everything.
      Quantal is my hostname !
      3) Restart the plasma: plasma-desktop

The reboot or log out and log in may work also.

Links

- http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...how-to-recover

- http://askubuntu.com/questions/12696...alize-kde-menu
      Last edited by OneLine; May 03, 2012, 09:04 AM.
      Have you tried ?

- How to Ask a Question on the Internet and Get It Answered
      - How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Comment

Originally posted by OneLine View Post
        The KDE loves to cache things. After the changes you need to flush the cache. That is: remove the cache so the changes can be seen.

1) Stop the plasma: kquitapp plasma-desktop
        (Kickoff is a plasma widget)
        2) Browsing to the ~/.kde/cache-fox6/ and deleting everything.
        fox6 is my hostname !
        3) Restart the plasma: plasma-desktop
        Is this cache clearing not what kbuildsyscoca4 is supposed to do? Without stopping plasma.

Or does that only rebuild a part of the cache?
        I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Guru Found, Cat Skinned!

@OneLine,

Once again thank you. As always your info is spot on and laid out so well even I can do it!
          I checked the image I'd changed earlier and found no Style fill: values so I guess that's why nothing appeared in kickoff.
          Many thanks again.

Kubuntu 12.04 - Acer Aspire 5750G

"I don't make a great deal of money, but I'm ok with that 'cause I don't hurt a lot of people in the process either"

Comment

To be more than sure...

Is this cache clearing not what kbuildsyscoca4 is supposed to do? Without stopping plasma.

Rules of thumb - I may be wrong, but it is working at here...

- The plasma is reading things to the memory - the surest thing is to kill it before try to edit plasma things.

- An old rule of the the Icon cache - https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...le/+bug/333519:
            Andreas Wenning (andreas-wenning) wrote on 2009-02-25:
            You might need to clear the icon cache (even a restart is not guaranteed to do that):
            rm /var/tmp/kdecache-$USER/kpc/kde-icon-cache.*
            /var/tmp/kdecache-$USER/ = ~/.kde/cache-$HOSTNAME/
            Last edited by OneLine; May 03, 2012, 09:31 AM.
            Have you tried ?

- How to Ask a Question on the Internet and Get It Answered
            - How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Comment

Originally posted by SecretCode View Post

AFAIK, kbuildsycoca4 just refreshes the ksycoca4 cache file (and the stamp) which includes (among other things) the .desktop files in the system, useful when a new .desktop file is installed (it makes sure new application launchers are visible in the menu and new plasmoids are available in the plasma widget browser, for example).

It doesn't touch the plasma graphics .kcache files.

Comment

Working...
              X