This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am out of the KDE closet, lol...

by that I mean I guess I have always been a huge KDE fan, used Gnome for a while but found it too simple and a lack of functionality. KDE is so much prettier too, that's if you have decent hardware, lol. Anyway, I am all giddy I have a shiny new install of Kubuntu 12.04 LTS on my machine (Intel quad core2, 8GBs Kingston Hyper X, 4 drive Raid 0, decent nVidia card, etc), thank God for the 5 year support, I am so tired of installing and trying different distros. There was no way I was going back to Windows (XP Home was my last and FINAL Windows), used Mint for the past year until I found this version of Kubuntu, very nice, wasn't impressed with past versions, this one is definitely world class. My only pet peeve, and it's a small one but truly annoying, when you use the Muon Software Center, install something, the program sends you back to the software list (or back to the main menu) but at the beginning again, so if you don't remember where you were at in the list, you have to scroll down again and guess where you were, this is a horrible design, probably to hide the fact the list needs refreshing to show the just installed software blue check mark. 12.04 is pretty, stable and responsive, used Netrunner for a few months, the GUI was choppy and stuttering half the time, breifly fixed by forcing "Prefer Maximum Performance" (see Powermizer in nVidia X Server Settings) by editing the xorg.conf file. Then again I have shut off some of the eye-candy, hate fading and sliding desktops, prefer the good ol' cube, lol.

Hi tek
    Thanks for the very nice review of your install, and yes Muon has "situations" that a lot of folks don't like. I, personally, try it for a while on a new install or on an upgrade, etc. but then use it to install Synaptic!

Don't be a stranger since you are now "out of the kloset"! LOL

woodsmoke

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
      Hi tek
      Thanks for the very nice review of your install, and yes Muon has "situations" that a lot of folks don't like. I, personally, try it for a while on a new install or on an upgrade, etc. but then use it to install Synaptic!

Don't be a stranger since you are now "out of the kloset"! LOL

woodsmoke
      Thanks for the welcome, I did install Synaptic and am quite familiar with it, my first major usage of a distro was Mepis a ga-zillion years ago, lol. I just prefer to stick to the software that is in the distro's 'software shopping app', that way there is less chance of breakage, etc.

Comment

Muon also has a Synaptic-like package manager as well as the Software Manager that you were using. Look for it under Applications > System > "Muon Package Manager" (or just System > "Muon Package Manager" if you're sing the Classic menu style). I use it exclusively for package updates and installs, except for OS upgrades (Oneiric > Precise e.g.) when I use either do-release-upgrade or modify /etc/apt/sources.list and use apt from konsole. I have had any real showstoppers, ...yet.
        The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

Originally posted by tek_heretik View Post
          ... I am so tired of installing and trying different distros. There was no way I was going back to Windows (XP Home was my last and FINAL Windows), used Mint for the past year until I found this version of Kubuntu...
          Welcome.
          I'm interested in how you liked or disliked Mint (KDE?). Do they attempt to customise the desktop in any way?
          Kubuntu 12.04 - Acer Aspire 5750G

"I don't make a great deal of money, but I'm ok with that 'cause I don't hurt a lot of people in the process either"

Comment

Originally posted by bra|10n View Post
            Welcome.
            I'm interested in how you liked or disliked Mint (KDE?). Do they attempt to customize the desktop in any way?
            Honestly, I get the impression they are more concerned with Mate, Cinnamon and Gnome. Don't get me wrong, Mint is a great distro, but they are caught up in the smartphone GUI craze, which is totally ridiculous on a PC in my opinion. In answer to your question, it was not as polished as Kubuntu, but that is common with a lot of distros 'outside' of their default desktop, it's like Mint feels lost and confused now because Gnome went all smartphone-ish.

Comment

Originally posted by _Trieby
              You are not right. I am assured. I can prove it. Write to me in PM.
              There is no right or wrong when somebody gives their OPINION, that was my experience. I am quite happy with Kubuntu's look, feel and functionality. I am not a leprechaun, lol, I don't want a green desktop that is some genetic mutation of Gnome, lol. :shock:

You know, I could take somebody else's distro, config MY branding in to it and call it Tek-buntu, lol.
              Last edited by tek_heretik; May 02, 2012, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by _Trieby
                You are not right. I am assured. I can prove it. Write to me in PM.
                lol,
                Most likely a bot or a Unity fanboy perhaps
                Kubuntu 12.04 - Acer Aspire 5750G

"I don't make a great deal of money, but I'm ok with that 'cause I don't hurt a lot of people in the process either"

Comment

Crap...another one of those bots? That's the third one with a first-character underscore I've seen. Gone in 3...2...1...

Comment

Boom!

Comment

For me as a long time Linux user KDE has always felt more "right" to me more or less.
                      Sure when KDE4 came along it totally sucked but now its actually pretty decent and looks like the plans for KDE5 will be simular as they totally botched with plasma when it first came out.
                      Now with now bad Gnome3/shell/unity is i am staying with KDE, I like being able to configure my own OS to my liking and I wanted to be locked down I would have stuck with windows.

Comment

Working...
                      X