X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apparently "food deserts" in U.S. are a myth

LOL
    The smarter than thous bought into a myth... how many times have we heard that in the last coupla years? lol

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/18/he...n-studies.html

woodsmoke

In some neighborhoods, good, fresh, whole food (not packaged, processed food) is a distance away; and some people don't have transportation to go buy the food and get it home fresh.

I have fresh, whole natural food stores (for fresh and/or organic/natural meats and veggies/fruits) nearby, from a 7-minute walk to a 12-minute walk away (one way). Very nice for me. Not so for all big, inner city dwellers.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

"Organic" or "Natural" foods are too expensive for most low income budgets, regardless of how close the produce stand is. That leaves only foods grown with pesticides and herbicides. Even if they don't cause problems the economics takes control. I have $5 and 4 kids. I can buy $5 worth of fruits and vegetables and not get enough to fed them or myself. Or, I can get 5 $1 burgers and get beef, grain, and some lettuce. One lb of Gala apples is $2.50, which is about 3 or 4 medium apples. A kid will feel fuller longer on a $1 mac than one apple.

The poor focus on carbohydrates because that is the least expensive food they can buy which can fill them up the most.

At the food net we see three kinds of folks: those who are skinny as a rail and in obvious need of food, those who are walking blimps, and folks whose weight is average for their age and height. How do we tell the poor blimps from the not-poor blimps? The poor blimps do not have the latest smartphones, lots of bling, trendy clothes and layers of makeup. But, in today's economy anyone can be a week or two out of a job, have nice clothes and car, but have run out of food and the money to buy some, regardless of how they dress or what their weight is.

In my 70 years on this planet I have never seen as many people in such precarious economic situations as I see in this crisis.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

GG, you and I are on the same page on this issue. The conservatives can go on and on with their nonsense, but fact is, the resources of this planet are not very fairly distributed. Notice I didn't use the term "equally distributed." Forget that. The conservatives would rather die than entertain that, let alone allow it. And I'm not saying it's necessary that things be "equal" for all humans. What IS necessary is fairness. People must have enough--and that's the key word here. Sometimes I'd like to ask conservatives, What do you think the history of this planet is to be? Where do you think WE are heading here? Fact is, without all on-board, fairly, we are going no where. Will it take an alien invasion to unite us in our differences?

Back on point, as a liberal, nothing irks me more than the "not-poor blimps" with their get-up, cell phones, make-up, finger nail manicures, soda-pop filled shopping carts, and such. The US gov't needs to crack down in the strongest fashion against such fraud, laziness, whatever you want to call it.
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
          "Organic" or "Natural" foods are too expensive for most low income budgets
          And appears not to be any healthier than the regular stuff.

Comment

SteveRiley, yes, I believe that's correct--that organic is not necessarily "better" in any sense. When I used those terms in my post #2 above, actually, I was only trying to make the point that some of us are lucky to have quality, whole foods close by. When I see organic veggies at Whole Foods sometimes selling for multiples of "regular" produce, it causes me to slow down and shift focus (toward staying within budget). I DO think it might be a good idea to try to avoid added chemicals, partially hydrogenated oils, and excessive salt and sugar as much as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
              When I see organic veggies at Whole Foods sometimes selling for multiples of "regular" produce, it causes me to slow down and shift focus (toward staying within budget). I DO think it might be a good idea to try to avoid added chemicals, partially hydrogenated oils, and excessive salt and sugar as much as possible.
              Yes, hydrogenated oils are something I avoid, too, as well as excessive corn syrup. I'm aware there's some debate over the latter, which I periodically tune in to.

Comment

Fructose Enhanced Corn Syrup is nothing less than a Fat pill, and probably is the #1 cause of obesity and diabetes in this country. It is ubiquitous in foods. Most breakfast cereals are 20-35% FECS. It is very difficult to find food without it. An 8 oz can of pop has 35 grams of sugar, usually FECS, in it, which is 6 to 8 teaspoons.

As far as "organic" vs the others, considering the sad state of corporate morals in the country (and around the world it seems), I wouldn't trust food advertised to be "pesticide and herbicide free" to actually be so. There is SO MUCH of that stuff in the environment already it is like cocaine and money ... every bill has traces of cocaine on it. Most adolescent boys have what are known as "bitch tits" caused by the estrogen used to reduce the time to market for chickens from 18 months to 6 months. young girls are maturing early because of it and boys are maturing later.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Lot of talk recently from some reputable MD/researchers about sugar, as you probably noticed in the news lately ...
                  it's addictive (associated with brain changes similar to opiates);
                  cancer cells grow on sugar environment;
                  causes increase in LDL cholesterol;
                  leads to insulin resistance (T 2 diabetes, pre-diabetes);
                  associated specifically with fat around the waist line.

I think the quality/safety of our food is a problem--or at least an issue that needs to be "settled."

Options?
                  Grow your own?
                  Try to avoid the worst? (See list below for chemical pesticides)
                  Carefully wash the fruits and veggies?
                  Peel the fruits/veggies?
                  Is it OK to eat pesticides? In what quantities (per day)?

Washing might remove 40-50% of pesticides? (according to some light research I did awhile ago)
                  Peeling removes some of the antioxidants, nutrients, and fiber.
                  Grow your own? What a nice dream.

Stay abreast of research/opinion? Like 'foods with most pesticides':
                  http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/ne...ost-pesticides
                  http://www.ewg.org/foodnews/
                  http://www.thedailygreen.com/healthy...foods#fbIndex1
                  Last edited by Qqmike; Apr 22, 2012, 08:30 AM. Reason: added foods w/most pesticides

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                    I can't say that I agree. I watched a video of a health professional named Paul Chek and he stated that corporations have somehow classified some of their products as 'organic' when it was, in fact, non-organic and based these studies off of them. Thus, we have studies that show that organic food is no healthier.

I need to do more research to prove this, but it's difficult since every search for 'organic studies' and such are pretty useless in showing me info regarding this. All I can say is the my gut is telling me that it is true and my gut is hardly ever wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by charles052 View Post
                      Thus, we have studies that show that organic food is no healthier.
                      If I'm reading what you wrote correctly, it sounds like you agree with my statement? Then why begin with "I can't say that I agree"?

Originally posted by charles052 View Post
                      All I can say is the my gut is telling me that it is true and my gut is hardly ever wrong.
                      Actually, decision making by colon (heh) is hardly reliable. Daniel Kahneman examines this at length in his wonderful book Thinking, Fast and Slow.

Comment

If I'm reading what you wrote correctly, it sounds like you agree with my statement? Then why begin with "I can't say that I agree"?
                        Not really. What I was trying to say was that the studies are flawed. They're not actually comparing organic food with non-organic, but comparing non-organic that is labeled 'organic' with non-organic. Thus the studies show no benefits of 'organic' foods.

But, I say again, I've not researched this a whole lot, so I cannot provide proof at this time.

Actually, decision making by colon (heh) is hardly reliable. Daniel Kahneman examines this at length in his wonderful book Thinking, Fast and Slow.
                        Uh... I will agree to disagree.

Comment

Here's a article about Paul Chek if anyone cares to read about him. I've watched a video of one of his speeches, and truth be told, the guy seems a little off his rocker, but... further inquiring showed me that perhaps this guy is the one guy that completely understands nutrition and fitness.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...ting_paul_chek

Comment

Interestiing article Charles, except the language gets in the way.

woodsmoke

Comment

Working...
                            X