This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something weird my doorbell chimes

The following odd event just took place.

My doorbell rang, accompanied by several sharp knocks on the window. I sat my laptop aside and trundled downstairs to see who was disturbing my Friday night. One female human, approximately 5'8" tall and 25 years old, stood there, bobbing and smiling. I opened the door, and before I could say anything, her mouth went into full gear.

"I'm from your neighbors across the street? They said you're the one who's adopting the cute black girl? Here I am?"

I was flummoxed. What's the proper response to a stranger making such an inquiry? How does one determine where the actual question is, when everything the person says ends with a question mark?

"No, just kidding? How are you? I belong to an organzation of young women? We ask for donations to help young women find jobs? So we don't have to take government money? Can you help me find a job? So we don't have go around asking for money?"

She offered no identification, and appeared to have no collateral to support her claims. I calmly explained that my wife and I already make regular charitable contributions to a number of agencies.

"No, we aren't from a government agency, we don't want tax money?"

I explained that the aforementioned organizations aren't affiliated with the government.

"Well why didn't you just say that? You wasted my time here? What's your problem?"

Having determined that was her final volley of questions, I closed the door and returned upstairs.
    Last edited by SteveRiley; Apr 20, 2012, 10:40 PM.

Well you gotta wonder why you answered the door if it wasn't to hand out money?

I guess it's a matter of perspective. Of course we can take this even further.
    An old Vaudeville routine:

A guy walks up to the ticket counter and asks the lady for a return ticket.
    Her: "To where, sir"
    Him: " To here, stupid!"

Comment

meth head

Comment

Hm. I didn't think to compare the diameters of her pupils. Next time, I guess...

Comment

No talk, don't open door or just release the hound? Click image for larger version

Name:	18004487.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	3.0 KB
ID:	639898
          Last edited by rms; Apr 21, 2012, 08:07 AM.
          Ok, got it: Ashes come from burning.

Comment

Unfortunately nowadays (USA), the bad apples have ruined it for the good people. I no longer trust anyone going door-to-door, especially these kids doing it. SOME studies have shown it to be a scam (e.g., some $5-candy-bar-selling gigs where very little of the money goes to the kids). I've even had young, very sexy, scantily dressed girls knock at the door and try to run a gig on me, selling this or that.

However ... I made an exception a few years ago, very uncharacteristic of me to do this ... as I usually research things until I drop from exhaustion ... A guy, about 35, driving a small economy car (which later he told me saves him money rather than to use his work truck), knocked on my door and gave me a focused, serious, enthusiastic pitch to trim my 40-ft Arizona Ash tree that needed trimming very badly. He was from Honduras, had been an appliance repair guy here and didn't like it, and loved trees, could tell ya all about them, said he climbs them himself and has two helpers on the ground to work up what he drops from the heights of the tree. I bought it! Trusted him, let him into the back yard, agreed to a $650 cash deal (which is low here for this work, comps being $750-$1250 and higher). Long story: I liked the guy, he did a perfect job!, I was and am still happy, AND he picked up a few hundred off my neighbor who also had some (small) trees to do. In the 33 yrs I've been here, the first time I ever made a snap purchase decision that way.
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Beware of the "Travelers".

Comment

The "college kid working his way through college selling magazines subscriptions" was a common scam around here for a while.

Another was selling boxes of fruit (oranges, mostly, sometimes grapefruit), and another sirloin steaks!
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                X