• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
    Klarity
    +1
    Ok, got it: Ashes come from burning.

Comment

I wonder how much it matters if some company has the same name. Theres also an Ubuntu Cola. If theres no relation, theres probably no problem? I think?

Klarity IT consulting however might cause some problems...
      http://www.klarity.pt/

Comment

Modify it somehow?

KlarityKDE
        KKlarity
        KlarityK
        KlarityLinux

?

Klarity (for clarity) is really a good idea, strong, powerful and hopefully accurate (thinking Linux
        evolution).
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I suggested Kallos Linux as a new name, which is Greek for Beauty. However, somebody pointed out that it made them think of callous, so that's probably not a good choice. Kubuntu has always been "Kind" to Linux users, but I have a feeling we'd be in trouble if it were renamed KindL.

So, if it can't be Kallos or KindL, then what about Kaleidoscope or Karma?

Comment

Copyright, generally, does not bother with the same "titles" of things like books or songs, but if it is "trademarked" then that is a problem.

To run with what whatthefunk suggested:

What about "KlarityOS"?

a) easy to say
            b) "relates" to KDE so it can be debian or ubuntu based
            d) is a play on words for "clarity"
            e) clearly shows it is an operating system and not something else.

woodsmoke

Comment

Copyright, generally, does not bother with the same "titles" of things like books or songs, but if it is "trademarked" then that is a problem.

To run with what whatthefunk suggested:

What about "KlarityOS".

a) easy to say
              b) "relates" to KDE so it can be debian or ubuntu based
              d) is a play on words for "clarity"
              e) clearly shows it is an operating system and not something else.
              f) It does not involve the word "Linux" in it, which for us is a great thing, but gets it away from the word for absolutely new people, that are still using Windblows but are looking at a tablet in the store, who have read the badmouthing of "Linux" so they would at least give it a first look.

woodsmoke

Comment

I like woodsmoke's idea and his reasons for it (Reply #21): KlarityOS

Very clean, crisp, accurate.
                An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I like the idea of NOT hinting at an attachment to Ubuntu or Debian. It appears it will be connected to Ubuntu and Debian, but we don't know the future of either of those.

It may not be possible but why not develope a packager that can use the best of Debian and RedHat?

For Kubuntu it wouldn't work but a distro called KDebHat would be Kool.

Ken.
                  Opinions are like rear-ends, everybody has one. Here's mine. (|)

Comment

Klarity...

So there would be Ubuntu, Klarity, Xubuntu, and Lubuntu as a major group of ubuntu distros. That name doesn't contrast too much. Klarity sounds pretty good!

Comment

Yes. And, possibly more specifically, woodsmoke's idea: KlarityOS (appending the "OS").

Comment

KlarityOS sounds like some dentist advertising.

I like KuteOS.
                        "Just keep on learning. Little by little... If you're empty, then you can take in anything. If you want to be reborn, then it's in your best interest to become empty." - Vinland Saga

Comment

jovin: lol

You are very inspiriational!

Use Klarity OS every time you re-boot!
                          And you will see significantly brighter teeth!
                          Tested by Veterinary Dentists Everywhere!

Ain't this forum great! lol

woodsmoke

Comment

This thread really made me laugh. I like KlarityOS.

Comment

Originally posted by jezzivi View Post
                              Akwamarine
                              Fixed that for ya

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
                              With the symbol being a honking great hog with Kubu gears for wheels and a rider with a chain for a whip that sparks blue fire! We could probably skip the flaming skull, not to mix too many metaphores!
                              Woody...I beg of you... please make a picture out of this! :eek:

Comment

David Wonderly posted the following to the kubuntu-users mail list today.

Greetings to the wonderful Kubuntu Community!

I just wanted to drop some updates so that you guys know what is going on.
                                I've been seeing a lot of questions about the status and future of Kubuntu.

I wanted to take some time today and give you guys the updates and information
                                we have so far.

I'm not going to repost the same text that I have make from my blog, [1]
                                reading it may answer some of the questions that you have. I will try and
                                answer some of the common questions I have recieved so far.

Q: How will this effect the 12.04 LTS and other future LTS releases?
                                A: As of right now, it is not going to effect the 12.04 LTS. The Kubuntu
                                Council [2] released a statement on the Kubuntu Website [3] to help assure
                                everyone that 12.04 will be a 5 year LTS. We have no plans to stop providing
                                LTS releases.

Q: Who is Blue Systems?
                                A: While the details of who is paying for Blue Systems is not widly known here
                                is how it effects the Kubuntu Project. As mentioned in my post, we now have two
                                developers who are being paid to work on KDE and in turn, Kubuntu full time.
                                Part of the deal
                                with Blue Systems is that Kubuntu will remain a Community Run project[4].

Q: Are we going to fork Kubuntu.
                                A: Simple answer, no. We will still remain the KDE flavor of Ubuntu.

Q: Okay, so if you are not forking, why is there talk about a name change?
                                A: The name change conversations stems from the Ubuntu TM policy. [5] There is
                                a vision for the future of Kubuntu where the TM policies might constrain
                                things we want to do with Kubuntu. We are working with Canonical to see what
                                we can do and at the same time there are those of us int he Council and
                                community who are preparing for a possible name change if it is needed.

If you have other questions, please, do not hesitate to email me or, talk to
                                me in IRC. You can find me in #kubuntu-offtopic on the FreeNode network as
                                Darkwing. You can either highlight me or, PM me and if I am not there, leave
                                me your email address and I will do my best to get an answer to you.

Thank you for staying with us as Kubuntu continues to grow. You are the reason
                                why people have stepped forward to provide for the Kubuntu project.

Please do not hesitate to contact me at any time.

Cheers!

David Wonderly
                                Kubuntu Council
                                IRC: Darkwing
                                Twitter: @dwonderly
                                E-Mail: david.wonderly at kubuntu.org

[1] http://www.wonderly.com/2012/04/kubuntu-moving-forward/
                                [2] https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-council
                                [3] http://www.kubuntu.org/news/12.04-lts-announce
                                [4] http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kubuntu-...y-blue-systems
                                [5] http://www.ubuntu.com/aboutus/trademarkpolicy
                                Last edited by SteveRiley; Apr 24, 2012, 12:30 PM. Reason: fixed quote start.

Comment

Working...
                                X