Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Apple has become the Orwellian nightmare that it warned us about some 30 years ago."

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Apple has become the Orwellian nightmare that it warned us about some 30 years ago."

A quote from the following blog by a person who just won a small claims case against Apple for failing to repair his Apple Mac Pro with a defective Nvidia
    8600GT GPU.
    http://www.seattlerex.com/seattle-re...verdict-is-in/

When it was Apple’s turn, their representatives opened by throwing a hail mary pass. While holding up the press release outlining the 8600GT replacement program, they claimed that, because the CPU in my MacBook Pro was clocked at 2.6Ghz, and not 2.4Ghz, or 2.5Ghz as stated in the release, that I had a completely different computer … one that was not subject to the 4 year replacement program.You see, when I ordered my MacBook Pro, I paid about $300 extra for them to up-clock the chip from 2.5Ghz to 2.6Ghz. Yes, it was a classic Apple ripoff, and yes, I was dumb to order it, but I did it, mea culpa.I had absolutely no idea that it would be used against me in a court of law to explain to a judge why I should not be covered by an extended warranty, and it caught me off-guard. Perhaps, despite everything, I am still a bit naive, because not even I expected Apple to just … lie. At least not in such a silly manner.Remember, I was not going up against the owner of some taco stand, I was up against the most profitable company in the USA. I honestly expected more than a silly fib.After listening to Apple, the judge turned to me and asked for my response, and I explained to him, in detail, that the chips, logic boards, and GPUs in all of the MacBook Pro models were the same, regardless of the speed at which the CPUs had been clocked.Confused, the judge turned to Apple and asked, “Is this true?”There was some awkward silence as the Apple guys exchanged uncomfortable looks between each other, before one of them finally said “Yes, it is.”“So, this machine IS covered by the 8600GT repair program?”, asked the judge.“Yes it is, your honor”, replied Apple.So, there we were. Not more than 2 minutes into the trial, and Apple conceded to trying to hoodwink the judge.
    I’m not trying to insult iPeople, at least not in this article, but during both mediation and the trial, I realized that Apple has a strong expectation that their users not be tech-savvy and, as such, Apple seems used to infantilizing and bamboozling their customers with silly and nonsensical explanations of highly technical matters.
    At one point, the judge asked Apple how much it would have cost them to have simply replaced my logic board when I had taken it in, and one of the Apple guys said “Oh, it wouldn’t have cost us anything, Nvidia foots the bill for each board we replace.”The judge’s face almost hit the floor as he shot me a quizzical look, to which I just shrugged. I knew that he, and everyone else in the courtroom was thinking the same thing:If Apple could have replaced my logic board at no cost to themselves, then why in the hell did they drag this out for so long, and why did they send two people to court to try and make sure that I got absolutely nothing? Friends, this is a question I have been asking myself for three months, and it is a question that I do not have the answer to.
    ​
    What I don’t understand, however, is why Apple fought so hard against me when they were clearly in the wrong. It wasn’t even a judgement call. I knew they were wrong, the judge knew they were wrong, the clerk knew it, the audience knew it, and you could tell … you could just tell that Apple knew it as well.And what of the shareholders? What should they make of this? Apple’s stock has been an E-ticket ride lately, but this incident should really give shareholders pause. I mean, what kind of judgement are the current leaders of Apple using?Think about it … instead of repairing my computer under the repair program that they, themselves, announced … at absolutely no cost to themselves … Apple paid two guys to come to Downtown Seattle, and … well … lie, so that I would not have a non-defective computer. When you factor in the time it took them to get here, the time spent in court, and the time to get home, Apple paid two guys a day’s wages to defend this suit.In addition, instead of paying nothing for the repair, they paid a legal team to oversee the case, and, oh yeah … you guys, the shareholders, are buying me a new computer too. Thanks.As far as I can tell, Apple spent all of this time and money, solely to be a bully. Was that really money well-spent? I mean, you can almost excuse the holy wars against Adobe, Samsung, Android, and the prototype guys … but a local blogger?The obsessiveness of crushing all perceived enemies, no matter how big or small, regardless of whether they are wrong or right, should be of concern to all iFans and financiers. It’s getting to the point where it’s really, really just sick.
    Apple has become the Orwellian nightmare that it warned us about some 30 years ago. A huge vehicle of sameness backed by legions of newthink practitioners, gleefully cheering as Big Bully annihilates one thoughtcriminal after another.Apple may be profitable, but it’s not well. Something is wrong at the highest levels, and if I was strongly tied to the company financially, I might be worried. Although blinded by Apple’s success in the near-term, I don’t think history will judge the company favorably.Anyway, now comes the hard part.Collecting the money. A judgement is only a piece of paper. It’s worth nothing if you can’t collect.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Nice to hear you picking on some other than Microsoft, your greyness.

"Apple has become the Orwellian nightmare that it warned us about some 30 years ago. A huge vehicle of sameness backed by legions of newthink practitioners, gleefully cheering as Big Bully annihilates one thoughtcriminal after another."...
    "Apple seems used to infantilizing and bamboozling their customers with silly and nonsensical explanations of highly technical matters."
    Apple's worst influence used to be the lessons they gave to Microsoft. Bill Gates was a very astute pupil of IBM and Apple. (I suppose those under 45 or 50 or so are not aware how IBM once dominated commercial computing.)

I've been wont to lambast Apple for many years, and disheartened by the sums my children have insisted on spending on their products. My pet phrases have been "Apple dumbs you down", "Apple fanbois have lobotomized themselves", and "Apple is a cult".

(I studied some computer science part-time in the 90's and had to use Macs one year. I ended that year with a hatred of Macs, the OS was so bad.)
    Regards, John Little

Comment

Yours truely incurred the wrath of the cognoscenti as early as Xandros times when I said basically the same thing.

But 13 year old nerds just keep chucking money at them as if it is coming from a fire hydrant. As long as that happens they will just get bigger.

woodsmoke
      Last edited by woodsmoke; Apr 20, 2012, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
        Nice to hear you picking on some other than Microsoft, your greyness.....
        I usually picked on Microsoft because they were the source of most attacks on Linux and the GPL. I have no animosity towards Windows, except in a technical sense, because I spent most of my adult life earning a living using it, but MS corporate ethics .... that's like saying "before the big bang".

The big difference between Apple and Microsoft is that Apple does not have the PC OEMs by the short hairs. IF the OEMs were truly independent of Microsoft then their PCs would be OS neutral and would be shipped naked, configured according to customer specifications. THAT is a level playing field.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
        X