This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
    I have begun to sew the seeds of mass KFN conversion... BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
    Seeds have to be sewn on fertile ground to have any chance of sprouting. And, the seeds have to be viable. Me thinks that on both counts, your potential crop hasn't a chance! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Ncurses! Xfoiled again!

(...off to find a better metaphor...)

Comment

BTW, you all remember my origins, correct? You do realize what I'm now beginning to do here. I have begun to sew the seeds of mass KFN conversion... BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
        At least some of us still dual-boot (in my triple-boot, with Windows 7 and Ubuntu 12.04 with GS, may try to install Ubuntu with Unity on a spare partition some time around release time with the minimal CD I have).
        The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

Originally posted by Goeroeboeroe View Post
          @Ole Juul: I hope you mean MS-DOS, and not just any DOS?
          Of course, that's the company we're talking about. However I do run PC-DOS 2.0 as well as have collections of PC-DOS 1.0 and up - and some other odd varieties. Nevertheless, I'm only half joking because I stopped upgrading and buying new MS products partly because I thought that MS-DOS 6.22 was the pinnacle of their work. I really didn't like where the company started going after that.

Originally posted by Goeroeboeroe
          Sorry, but I've seen too many lies and manipulation by Microsoft. Maybe this is a good initiative, but for me it will take quite some time to believe them. In the blog SteveRiley links too the Microsoft-guy gives three examples of languages Microsoft has worked on with other people/companies/organizations. One of them is HTML5. Maybe the writer of that blog doesn't know it, but Microsoft has refused time after time to join the working group/mailing list about HTML5.
          That's an excellent example.

Originally posted by dibl
          As far as 'engaging' with the standardization committees, the memory of their OOXML debacle is still fresh in my mind, as is their subversion of the European Open Source Software Standards report, to name just a couple.
          Those situations were so antisocial and abhorrent that I don't believe they can ever be forgiven.

Originally posted by Goeroeboeroe
          I don't say it's absolutely impossible Microsoft is starting to behave differently.
          I do.

Originally posted by Qqmike
          I guess no one caught my joke, my play on the quoted typo ... guess I'll go out in the backyard and eat worms ...
          I got it. Anyway, I don't like worms but I solved that problem long ago by not getting up early.

Comment

Good one, Ole Juul! :-)
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I agree with SteveRiley about Google and Apple. Personally I think Apple is at the moment even worse than Microsoft. And I'm really starting to dislike Google. Even as a search engine I'm starting to distrust it with all those secret clicking algorithms etc.
              Google is beginning to really mess up its search algorithm lately. Last night I had a tornado pass by about 1/2 mile away, close enough to get the heavy winds and some hail. This afternoon I went searching for two person underground tornado shelters. I had to wade through 3 or 4 pages of ad listings and disjointed relationships to my question before I began noticing pertinent information. Before it was only the first 10 or so listings which were ads pretending to be answers to the search question and all I had to do was drop to the bottom of the page and began surfing. Today it seemed my queries only returned links to Ask.com and a ton of commercial sites, along with stories about recent tornadoes. So, I took the same question to DuckDuckGo and the first and all subsequent pages were treasure troves of pertinent links.

I don't say it's absolutely impossible Microsoft is starting to behave differently. For a part they just have to, like with html and css. But after all these lousy actions of Microsoft for me it's: show it, and then I will start believing it. If you break into my house for ten times, I'm not opening the door myself the eleventh time I see you.
              Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

But think about this for a moment. Google is losing its charm because of its flagrant violation of "Do no evil." Apple, while popular, is probably at the pinnacle of evilness right now (predatory patent behavior). Amazon remains aloof. Dare I say it -- is Microsoft demonstrating a hint of a whisper of a shadow of becoming cool again, at least in a few places? Something to ponder...
              It was the evil and infighting of the Unix competitors that gave Microsoft its opportunity. Is history repeating itself?
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

BTW, you all remember my origins, correct? You do realize what I'm now beginning to do here. I have begun to sew the seeds of mass KFN conversion... BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
                Even if that is the case, I can stand the "conversion" with a good-natured smile...
                Click image for larger version

Name:	osmeh.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	639897
                Ok, got it: Ashes come from burning.

Comment

<offtopic>GreyGeek, I use in Firefox the extension OptimizeGoogle. Among other things it blocks ads in Google. And now I'm thinking 370 very bad words. I wanted to put the link here, but looking for the link I saw they stopped making it. Google was too fast changing things, so the extension was getting too far behind. Now I'm going to get those ads too. Time to really switch to DuckDuckgo or so, I guess.</offtopic and end of bad words>

Comment

I can't help thinking that Jean Paoli's blog entry was released 11 days later than it was supposed to be ...
                    I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

<offtopic>GreyGeek, I use in Firefox the extension OptimizeGoogle. Among other things it blocks ads in Google. And now I'm thinking 370 very bad words. I wanted to put the link here, but looking for the link I saw they stopped making it. Google was too fast changing things, so the extension was getting too far behind. Now I'm going to get those ads too. Time to really switch to DuckDuckgo or so, I guess.</offtopic and end of bad words>
                      Well, I hate to admit it, but my Google search problem was probably a brain fart. Somehow I had set Google's search to a limited subset of "something" (I don't remember doing it) and when I clicked the "Everything" link I got the full listing again. My bad. BTW, if you see my brain walking by will you tell it to go home, I need it badly.
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Oh no! I'm on an age myself I can use an extra pair of brains myself! Especially brains like yours!

Comment

Working...
                        X