Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it!

Click image for larger version

Name:	demotivational-posters-history.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	647729
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

The ol' woodsmoker completely agrees!

I've tried to find, but not been able to, an image the IBM version of "windows" which was kind of like the AOL thing except in green.

When I showed the Live Plasma video to my students, before class, they DID recognize that there was a distinct difference and that the difference would give them the ability to use the interface in a more efficient, and creative, and pretty manner.

The problem is that....by and large many, if not most, people think that they are not very creative and so "good enough" is "good enough" for them.

woodsmoke

Comment

It just proves that Microsoft do copy other peoples ideas and pass it off as their own. Microsoft are innovators? Not if you look at the all the software they have ripped off or bought from other smaller software companies.

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
        I've tried to find, but not been able to, an image the IBM version of "windows" which was kind of like the AOL thing except in green.
        I wonder if you are remembering Microsoft Windows 1.0 (their very first version of Windows introduced in 1985) or maybe Microsoft Windows 2.0.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Wow GG!!!! The similarities there are sticking to say the least! Though I think I did read somewhere that M$ did buy AOL patents and maybe that is one of them. How one could Patent tiles is beyond me. The flooring/tiling industry may need to find a way to cover themselves.

Comment

Hi SnowHog.

Thanks for the suggestion but what i am remembering is literally a light green grid on a green screen IBM that was "two rows high and I think three wide". The lines of the grid were about maybe between a quarter and a half inch wide, and in the grid, which was green inside, like the outside, were words like "spreadsheet" and "word processor" and "games" etc. I don't remember any kind of "image" just the words.

woodsmoke

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
              Hi SnowHog.

Thanks for the suggestion but what i am remembering is literally a light green grid on a green screen IBM that was "two rows high and I think three wide". The lines of the grid were about maybe between a quarter and a half inch wide, and in the grid, which was green inside, like the outside, were words like "spreadsheet" and "word processor" and "games" etc. I don't remember any kind of "image" just the words.

woodsmoke
              I'm just wondering if your describing the interface on the old IBM PS/1 computer that came out (here in the UK) at the beginning of the 90's. Although, when I saw it the interface was in colour but had "tiles" on the screen for the user to click on. IBM in their wisdom, released the PS/1 in the UK without a modem because they thought that we brits did not use or want to use the internet back then.

Woodsmoke, I wonder if you had a PS/1 with a green screen!

Comment

Hi nickstonefan
                I did not personally have the computer, I probably saw a review in Compute's Gazette, since I subscribed to it until they dumped the C-64.

I would imagine, that since you described it, that what you post is what I saw.

Thanks.

woodsmoke

Comment

"Compute's Gazette"

Wow, I remember that magazine! Forgot all about it.

Comment

I see the picture that GG presented as pointing out that modern computing still pursues the same interface after all these years. I suppose you could interpret that as showing that it was the right one, or alternatively, that we're stuck in a dead end. I recently tried someone's Mac portable/thingie/laptop, and it was exactly the same there - a bunch of squares activated by a pointing device.

Comment

Working...
                    X