This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The future of Internet?

Anybody using RetroShare? How does it fair?
    Ok, got it: Ashes come from burning.

That looks very interesting. The general idea is somewhat similar to what was attempted by the folks at RevLinuxOS where they tried to make a "Linux Facebook".

I noted with some amusement that the "Unity interface" will automatically hide the linky when closed and one cannot ever get it back except with a script! lol

woodsmoke

Comment

Isn't that the kind of networking that P2P file sharers are moving to in order to get away from being tracked while download music and movies from central servers "The PirateBay"?
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
        Isn't that the kind of networking that P2P file sharers are moving to in order to get away from being tracked while download music and movies from central servers "The PirateBay"?
        Yup. Disintermediation, FTW

And The PirateBay isn't a centralized place from which downloads are obtained. Rather, it's simply a large index to content available elsewhere. Originally, TPB hosted .torrent files; in some cases, TPB was also the BitTorrent tracker, and in other cases, the tracker actually resided in another location. TPB now hosts Magnet links, which contain pointers to torrent trackers distributed around the Internet.

Comment

I read where the TPB has plans to use use drones as server platforms.

Sounds like target practice for the air forces in the region.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

I read where the TPB has plans to use use drones as server platforms.

Sounds like target practice for the air forces in the region.
            The drones that I saw were delightfully illuminated and hoovering around civic areas. I'm a little doubtful that the air force wouldn't run into some legalities shooting stuff down over people's heads and/or their houses. As for the idea of putting drones over international waters as has been hinted at, I believe there are legalities regarding that space as well which could prove to be particularly sticky. Anyway, I know you were probably kidding, but I was thinking the same thing and then it occurred to me that there were legalities involved which could be politically stimulating.

Comment

With governments and others trying to poke their noses into everybody's stew it's good to have some privacy when needed. I didn't have any piracy in mind. You may have heard about it, some young man said something to his friends on facebook. Later on he could not get a job at some company because they didn't like what he said there probably in jest.
              Last edited by rms; Apr 06, 2012, 07:07 AM.

Comment

Ol Juul wrote:

I'm a little doubtful that the air force wouldn't run into some legalities shooting stuff down

yes one would have thought that about two years ago but....

Ekkktually, the new and much improved warrantless wiretap law combined with a newly amplified law defining "what terrorism is". minted by Pres. Obama AND the congress....

Includes, economic terrorism.... and it could be validly stated that disruption of the flow of money for Sony Et.Al, could be, under the Commerce Clause and the new definition of terrorism would be a form of economic terror....

Violence is not in the definition, just "creating terror" for either individuals or corporations is the new definition

woodsmoke

Comment

Originally posted by Eliza
                  I use it! It's good for sharing folders between me and my friends. Very convenient!
                  That's what I use UbuntuOne for. I make a file "public" and pass the link to my friend. After they download it I make it private again.

Comment

That's what I use UbuntuOne for. I make a file "public" and pass the link to my friend. After they download it I make it private again.
                    The problem with on-line storage (and all other kinds) services is, as always, who/how determines "acceptable use and conduct". What is "any applicable law"? How do you know what crazy law will not emerge in the near future? It's all very vague.

Edit: Why don't they state clearly what kind of files can be stored instead of threatening with indemnifying?

Acceptable use and conduct.

All usage of the services must be legal and not infringe any third party's rights. You must not take any action or use the services in any way that might bring Canonical into disrepute, affect the ability of Canonical to provide the services, be illegal, or encourage illegal activities. You may not use the services in any manner that might be libellous or defamatory (more info on what that means), that contains threats or incites violence towards individuals or entities, or that violates the privacy or publicity rights of any third party. Some services have usage limitations as indicated at https://one.ubuntu.com/plans, and you may not exceed these. As part of the services, you may store data on Canonical's servers or those of Canonical's suppliers. You should ensure that this data is not in breach of any applicable law and does not breach any individual's data protection or privacy rights. You shall indemnify Canonical in full for any loss, cost or damages suffered by it as a result of your use or misuse of the services.
                    Last edited by rms; Apr 06, 2012, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X