X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

now we're gettin' there 218 mi elec car

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technolo...203207200.html

woodsmoke

I have one problem with electric cars. How well does the waste heat from the electric motors and transmission keep the front windshield clean and the passenger compartment warmed?
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

hmmm good question.

woodsmoke

Comment

Probably as good as my 72 VW! I would hazard, that they now use an electric heater of some kind, of course that would cut down on battery range.

Comment

When I was a freshman in college I worked part-time as the "circulation manager" for a small town newspaper where the college resided. During the winter that VW they give me to take papers to the kids and various vendors used air which was directed over the muffler to pick up heat. I'm not sure where it got its heat but I know that it never warmed up much and could barely clear a 10" circle on the driver's side of the windshield... for get the passenger's side. But, IIRC, it got over 30 mpg in town... maybe almost 40. My 2002 Saturn 2SL five speed stick gets 30 in town and 40 on the highway, and it heats up in under two miles.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

The heater(s) on my 2011 Hundai are hands down the best I have ever had, they will melt ice in a few minutes.

woodsmoke

Comment

Did you notice a resemblance to the Box fish? Here's an old article about a design consept that I've seen on the roads more and more lately.
              http://news.cnet.com/2300-11395_3-6130045-2.html

In spite of it's boxy shape, the Box fish is more aquadynamic than it looks. Some car makers are starting to make some models that way.
              Opinions are like rear-ends, everybody has one. Here's mine. (|)

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                When I was a freshman in college I worked part-time as the "circulation manager" for a small town newspaper where the college resided. During the winter that VW they give me to take papers to the kids and various vendors used air which was directed over the muffler to pick up heat. I'm not sure where it got its heat but I know that it never warmed up much and could barely clear a 10" circle on the driver's side of the windshield... for get the passenger's side. But, IIRC, it got over 30 mpg in town... maybe almost 40. My 2002 Saturn 2SL five speed stick gets 30 in town and 40 on the highway, and it heats up in under two miles.
                Actually, classic VW heat works really well if the system is maintained. Unfortunately, the heat exchangers and connecting pipes usually are not in tip top shape so all of that hot air never makes it into the cabin or windshield vents. I drive my 72 almost every day, it gets about 27mpg around town and 35 on the highway. Not bad for a 40 year old vehicle.

Comment

Lol.

There was a British aeronautical engineer, many, many decades ago, when we had another manufactured energy crisis, who when queried about the "lack of style" of cars... said; and this is the actual quote:

"Aerodynamics does not admit of style."

I just wish I could remember his name, there are not that many really droll people around.

woodsmoke

woodsmoke

Comment

Working...
                  X