Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does using Linux make you a 'geek' or just a user who is a 'notch above' the rest?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess what I was trying to say (above) is that if you are going to compare yourself, you can't do so in a psychotic vacuum. Instead, compare yourself to ... to your ... to your competition!
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Most people I've met who were "super smart" (and not savants) had SUPER memories and excellent recall. They were also, for the most part, humorous, well read, and social.

And, "steel sharpens steel".

I've seen a LOT of good coders become mediocre because once they began working at a permanent job they stopped upgrading their skills. What ever tools or standards they were using at their job soon became the only tools they were good with because they never bothered to being and/or maintain a regular schedule of study, practice and research into their profession.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by Flip the Switch View Post
        There comes a time in everyones life when they really need a good notebook to write all these configuration changes into, cos the memory is not so good anymore.
        Now what the hell did I do with that damn notebook? :eek:
        Use Nevernote. You just copy/paste your hot-rodded /etc/fstab, /etc/default/grub, and all your cool /path/to/scorch/the/earth/config/scripts. Then, when you're doing your monthly rebuild (what, you don't?), you can just copy/paste back. No need to remember anything except your password now!

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
          Use Nevernote. You just copy/paste your hot-rodded /etc/fstab, /etc/default/grub, and all your cool /path/to/scorch/the/earth/config/scripts. Then, when you're doing your monthly rebuild (what, you don't?), you can just copy/paste back. No need to remember anything except your password now!
          Thanks SR.
          Ive been using BasketNotes but that doesn't let you cut and paste which is a pia.
          This sounds a bit more like it.

Comment

I'd use BasKet if it integrated and synced with some kind of online storage. That's what I like about Evernote. I've pretty much moved completely into the cloud, which is now authoritative for all my docs, config settings, everything. My PCs are little more than localized instances of what I keep in cloud storage. It is really quite liberating to know that I can play around with whatever lowest-level goofiness I find interesting and if something goes BOOM!, I really just don't care. I can return to my former working environment in about an hour.

Comment

Nevernote, or nixnote as it is now called, safely installed on desktop and netbook. Used the ppa from Webupd8 which worked fine.
              Downside...
              Huge download for a notebook application.
              Java makes the netbook work hard.
              Upside...
              Being able to sync both machines is great.
              Integration on both Kubuntu (desktop) and Bodhi(netbook) is pretty nice using Plastique.
              Overall...
              It's a keeper! :cool:

Comment

My wife says "Geek," but the people I work with (who rely on my abilities) call me "The expert," "Guru," or just plain "Sir!"

lol

Please Read Me

Comment

I've been called those, and worse!

My favorite is "Magician". Just because I wrote their software my "clients":, the co-workers who ran the software I wrote, often called me when they had problems because they believed that all problems are caused by the software, even though they cannot tell the difference between and OS, a library, a utility app, or a user app. I got a call one afternoon. The "client" said "My monitor is misbehaving. What is your software doing?"

Jokingly, I walked up to her monitor, put my hand on it, and said "Heal", in my best preacher voice. The problem instantly went away and never returned. She was stunned. (So was I, but I didn't tell her!). "Your're a magician!", she called me. It was probably a loose cable and to be sure I made sure all the connections to it were secure. After that she'd always look at me in a weird way when I happened to walk by.
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                  – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Great GreyHealer!

lol

woodsmoke

Comment

Originally posted by Flip the Switch View Post
                      Nevernote, or nixnote as it is now called, safely installed on desktop and netbook. Used the ppa from Webupd8 which worked fine... Downside: Java makes the netbook work hard.
                      Evernote is the service. Nevernote, now Nixnote as you mentioned, is the Linux client -- unfortunately, Evernote hasn't felt it necessary to write their own.

Which Java are you running?

Comment

Good story GG - made me laugh!

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                          Jokingly, I walked up to her monitor, put my hand on it, and said "Heal", in my best preacher voice. The problem instantly went away and never returned.

Comment

Not so long ago a young one called me the Company Museum...

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                              Evernote is the service. Nevernote, now Nixnote as you mentioned, is the Linux client -- unfortunately, Evernote hasn't felt it necessary to write their own.

Which Java are you running?
                              Apparently openjdk-6jre version 6b24-1.11.1-3ubuntu3.

Comment

You might try running Oracle's Java 7 JRE instead. That's what I'm using, and it doesn't seem especially slow.

Comment

Working...
                                X