X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ubuntu: "We're not Linux"

Worth a read.............

http://dissociatedpress.net/2012/03/...ere-not-linux/

Long before I read the article you quoted I have been seriously thinking about replacing Ubuntu 10.04 and 11.10 with Debian next year. And just yesterday I started reading http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ and after reading the setup of Debian as an organisation (spelt correctly in the UK) I like the sound of it.

Comment

There was an article a few months ago about Linux splitting into different groups other than "Debian" or "Ubuntu" or BSD.

The article seems aver to the possiblity that Canonical is accelerating that.

woodsmoke

Comment

Or, if you own a 64bit computer: http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/

I believe that eventually, probably sooner than later, Kubuntu will move upstream to Debian. But, Ubuntu is based on Debian and many issues with Ubuntu/KDE are present in Debian as well, as even a trivial Google search will show.

Here is the Debian 64bit KDE offereing. It will require a DVD because it is 1GB.
        http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/...de-desktop.iso

In fact, I am so curious about Debian's KDE that I am going to install it as a guest OS to check it out.

EDIT: That link was to a 6.0.3 iso. I later read that the latest stable release is 6.0.4. Here is the link to the 640MB CD ISO:
        http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/...4-kde-CD-1.iso
        Last edited by GreyGeek; Mar 29, 2012, 01:28 PM.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Too bad they stay so far behind, especially considering the considerable improvement of 4.8 over 4.7.

They just added 4.7.4 to "unstable" a couple of weeks when the KDE project release 4.8.1 almost the same day. 4.7.4 was released Dec. 7th so I guess they stay 4 months behind.

Please Read Me

Comment

well now that we are not an offical ubuntu project maybe we can resync to a proper debian base.. i agree w/ oshunluvr in that i only use kubuntu cause its a ubuntu( based on debian) kde focused distro that trys to stay in sync w/ current kde versions.
            Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
            (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
              In fact, I am so curious about Debian's KDE that I am going to install it as a guest OS to check it out.
              I feel the same way about Chakra Linux. I won't leave Kubuntu, but I hear awesome things about Chakra from serious KDE folks. Installing to live USB now to go play
              ​"Keep it between the ditches"
              K*Digest Blog
              K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

I have it on one partition. Rock solid.
                Ok, got it: Ashes come from burning.

Comment

Every attempt I've made to install Debian on my existing setup (three *buntu OS's, and two prepared additional partitions for Debian) have failed at the point where Grub is to be installed.
                  Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

i never have had an issue setting up debian (other then on my G3 mac but thats for different reasons). my only issue with it is the out of date kde packages. i suspose i could just build my own kde stuffs.
                    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                      Every attempt I've made to install Debian on my existing setup (three *buntu OS's, and two prepared additional partitions for Debian) have failed at the point where Grub is to be installed.
                      My last attempt was when I downloaded 15 (IIRC) floppy disk images and burned them alll, then attempted an install. Debian confused my eth0 with my wifi card and wouldn't allow me to make a connection. So, I tried the net install method by first creating my eth0 cable connection to the back of my ISP modem. Debian promptly broke it and failed at the exact same spot ... trying to create what I already gave it.

You can, no doubt, see that my last attempt was at least 10 years ago. I did download a debian iso about 5 years ago but it wouldn't boot after I burned it, even though the checksums were good. I'm curious to see how this 64bit iso I dl'd will do.
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48 View Post
                        i never have had an issue setting up debian (other then on my G3 mac but thats for different reasons). my only issue with it is the out of date kde packages. i suspose i could just build my own kde stuffs.
                        True, though I think they are the only distro to support as many hardware platforms and (probably)packages.
                        Last edited by rms; Mar 29, 2012, 12:39 PM.
                        Ok, got it: Ashes come from burning.

Comment

I believe that eventually, probably sooner than later, Kubuntu will move upstream to Debian. But, Ubuntu is based on Debian and many issues with Ubuntu/KDE are present in Debian as well, as even a trivial Google search will show.

Here is the Debian 64bit KDE offereing. It will require a DVD because it is 1GB.
                          http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/...de-desktop.iso

I would if I had 64 bit architecture but both my laptop which is running Ubuntu 10.04 and my mini tower which is running Xubuntu 11.10 are both 32 bit based machines. I did have KDE 4.7.4 on the mini tower and it performed very well but I just felt XFCE was more suited to that machine. I'm thinking of installing Debian KDE on the laptop when I come to upgrade.

Comment

My wife's taste in computer configuration is the polar opposite of mine -- I like to play with the bleedy edge software, to see the improvements, and she does not ever want to see anything change, crash, or misbehave in any way. Long story made real short -- she's been using a Win 7 VM running on a Debian 6 system for a year now, and it never changes, and that's just how she wants it. The Firefox browser gave her some trouble last week, so I just changed her over to chromium-browser for everything but a certain site she has to do data entry on, and she's a happy camper, and I may get years more service out of that installation, if the hardware holds up. I found the Debian 6 installation remarkably trouble-free -- I got a 64-bit Debian 6/KDE DVD image and used that to install from. It gets maybe 2 package updates per week, if I bother to check.

I personally have been happy using a Debian sidux/aptosid/siduction system for several years now, although I always install a current Kubuntu VM and keep it updated, because often the KDE version and packages are newer in the new Kubuntu version, than in Debian sid. I just got tired of "having" to reinstall the next version of *buntu every six months, or else face the fading away of what was once a current configuration. My main desktop system, which I built in December 2010, has been running the "same" OS since I installed it then, and I have an EeePC with 2009-01 original aptosid OS, fully updated as of yesterday. Call me lazy, but that's how I skip the semi-annual installation games.
                            Last edited by dibl; Mar 29, 2012, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                              Too bad they stay so far behind, especially considering the considerable improvement of 4.8 over 4.7.

They just added 4.7.4 to "unstable" a couple of weeks when the KDE project release 4.8.1 almost the same day. 4.7.4 was released Dec. 7th so I guess they stay 4 months behind.
                              There's are good reason for that. Debian stable will only use rock solid stable versions of packages even if the developers have labelled there application as stable, Debian test it to destruction before they add it to there distribution. Debian stable is for those users who want a stable system not a testing system. For that, you should install Debian testing.

Comment

Working...
                              X