This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

darkerradio runs on, or in, Linux.

I regularly try out the "metal/goth/dark" stations and was listening to this one today.

The announcers on it are a little more "chatty" than most and, surprisingly, even though it is a German station, the announcer was speaking in perfect english with a U.S. vernacular.

Part of his banter was about the music running on "a Linux" computer and how it sometimes messed up, I think by getting the cache filled, but less than a Windows machine. There was also reference to an Unix machine.

The URL for the stream has "Linux" in it.

http://ehm.homelinux.org/MyOggRadio/...com/listen.pls

Here is the URL of the station webpage:

http://www.darkerradio.com/

woodsmoke

Incidentally, is there some list of stations at ehm.homelinux.org? Can't open it.
    Ok, got it: Ashes come from burning.

Comment

Hi rms,

I have no clue, couldn't open it either, so the odd title for my post.

Later in the day, I was listening to the "U.S." guy, and he is really operating from the U.S. "through" the servers in Germany.....I guess.... so...it maybe that the German site is hosting a "server farm" of some kind and, don't know, I guess, "anybody" could use it to strem music.

He was playing, in addition to "European" music, a few "remixes" of stuff that was not originally goth/dark/industrial that somebody had "remixed" to goth/dark/etc. So, it may be that the "legality" of stuff is that, at this time, operate a "station" maybe that is his "Linux machine" here in the U.S. and run it from someplace like Germany and bypass the copyright restrictions. Don't know.

Presently, the announcer is speaking German and the music has been consistently European in tone.

Just as an aside, I, personally, have advocated in several Distros forums that one might possibly do a "Linux advocacy" station. It never go any traction. There is a program today called "Linux Today" or something like that, but I haven't listened to it for years.

What I was always advocating was a "community approach" to the show, that members of the community would be commentators or play music etc.

The problem was, and still is, getting music that is "cross audience type" that "most people" would listen actually WANT to listen that was free and open source, to intersperse with the commentary, and then, also, getting people to do the commentary.

Since the distros were either a) one man shows or b) had deeply entrenched ways of doing things and a heirarchy that didn't want to "change".....the idea never got off the ground.

Since Kubuntu REALLY IS.... a "community driven" distro and Open Source is "his own man" as it were, possibly such a station could be pulled off here.

It would not be that hard.

a) There are plenty of apps to do the physical work.

b) The programming really is rather "repetitive" since it would played to a world wide audience, the programming would have to be done in "blocks" and then the blocks would repeat on a basis to where the listeners could plan to tune in to listen but that the next week there woudl be new stuff, or some other cycle.

c) The "voice overs" between music, or whatever, "You're listening to Linux Advocacy, LA on the internet dial". or some such can be easily obtained, there are people who do it for free on a regular basis, or again, community members could do it.

d) That leaves the music. SURELY in the extremely large Kubuntu community there is at least ONE person who could "start the station up" with some nice, basic, "elevator" maybe, type music to fill in and that would surely attract others who would be more creative.

OR..... If it was approached in an organized manner, there are many FOSS musical groups that would be glad to let a station play their music, especially if given some recognition.....but it "tends" to be "modern/progressive/jazz/goth/industrial/etc"... That leaves out the rabidly copyrigted classical and the country and western of the U.S. (However, I think I could get some for that, in the form of relatively good "bluegrass" because I know some musicians.

Anyway, it might be that this "URL" is specifically designed to host such a thing which is a major hurdle in and of itself.

EDIT: EDIT: OMG it just occured to me..... host "the music" in Germany and do NOTHING but the "talking" from the U.S. and that might bypass the copyright stuff completely! Of course, one would not really want to do that because of "other hassels", but if one did FOSS stuff maybe 90 percent and then remixes made in other countries...hmmmm possibly doable...

Anyway....as to getting "into it" no clue on my part.

woodsmoke
      Last edited by woodsmoke; Mar 25, 2012, 01:15 PM.

Comment

That link doesn't work with Radio Tray. Link on their home page is; listening right now. Thanks!

Comment

Hi
          would you care to expound on "Radio Tray" and it's merits for the uninitiated, like moi!!

woodsmoke

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
            Hi
            would you care to expound on "Radio Tray" and it's merits for the uninitiated, like moi!!

woodsmoke
            Hey, Mr. Woodsmoke,

It's just a radio player & nothing more. Simple to use and not that resource hungry as other apps which come packaged as versatile friends - which are its chief advantages in my eyes.

Kind regards.
            Last edited by rms; Mar 26, 2012, 07:06 AM. Reason: Typo after typo

Comment

Darkerradio is part of a larger "thing" called ehm.homelinux.org.

If one installs streamtuner(2) and looks under the tab "MyOggRadio one sees that there are clost to maybe 75 stations that run under that ehm.homelinux/MyOGGRadio/yada yada..

http://ehm.homelinux.org/MyOggRadio/

woodsmoke

Comment

Darkerradio is part of a larger "thing" called ehm.homelinux.org.

If one installs streamtuner(2) and looks under the tab "MyOggRadio one sees that there are clost to maybe 75 stations that run under that ehm.homelinux/MyOGGRadio/yada yada..

http://ehm.homelinux.org/MyOggRadio/

woodsmoke
                Thanks , last time I was looking the server must have been down for maintenance.

Comment

no I think that we/I didn't know what to look for.

woodsmoke

Comment

There's more than 75 stations judging by Radio Tray bookmarks, although some are quite exotic - Raja Yoga +1

Comment

That is what I loved about Amarok, was that it introduced to me the "wild country" of streaming radio.

It really is a whole "world" of stuff, and the U.S. is effectively closed out of it unless running Linux.

At the college, Windows will not play a .pls and really complains about streaming the music, it absolutely will not play an mp3 and OGG or anything like that. It will only play a .wma stream and again, only after complaining and going out on the net to MS to get the codec. Realplayer will play the .pls and also play the stream.

Pile on top of that, since the NEW version of the Patriot Act says that "reduction of economic activity of a business" notice ...A....."business"....is now classified as "terrorism".

And......the Commerce Clause which people have roundly and DERISIVELY pooh poohed me about is what can be used to DEFINE..... a reduction of commerce....so Sony et. al. could argue that streaming music coming into the U.S. is reducing the "interstate" commerce of Sony and with the flip of a switch....no streaming music in the U.S..

And the Commerce Clause is precisely what was being argued in SCOTUS just two days ago....

woodsmoke
                      Last edited by woodsmoke; Mar 29, 2012, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Pile on top of that, since the NEW version of the Patriot Act says that "reduction of economic activity of a business" notice ...A....."business"....is now classified as "terrorism".

And......the Commerce Clause which people have roundly and DERISIVELY pooh poohed me about is what can be used to DEFINE..... a reduction of commerce....so Sony et. al. could argue that streaming music coming into the U.S. is reducing the "interstate" commerce of Sony and with the flip of a switch....no streaming music in the U.S..

And the Commerce Clause is precisely what was being argued in SCOTUS just two days ago....

woodsmoke
                        Very bad indeed. Let's hope that common sense will prevail.

Comment

C-64 radio station.

I can't seem to find this on any of the "provided" radio stations in Amarok, Shoutcast etc.

Lotsa C-64 game music!

http://www.slayradio.org/home.php

woodsmoke

Comment

Working...
                          X