This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building a custom PC

My son's HP laptop is causing no end of frustration. It's time for something new. He wants a gaming rig, not another laptop, and has expressed interest in assembling components into a custom build. I suppose it's a given that I'll be warming up the NewEgg preferred account card soon...

I should probably state right of that his primary OS will be Windows, because that's what most of his games require. That said, I'm hoping to install Linux in a VM to encourage him to at least begin learning it.

So...probably the most important decision to make is the choice between Intel and AMD. It's been a looooooooong time since I've done that kind of research. And yes, I plan to devour everything I can find. I'd also be interested in the opinions of my hardware-geek buddies here on KFN. My recollection is that equivalent performance on AMD costs less than Intel. Still true? I suspect also that were I to choose an AMD-based motherboard, pairing it with an ATI graphics card would be the logical choice. Or should I stop thinking this thinking and just go with Intel + nVidia instead?

I realize that just posting a link isn't very helpful, but who knows--there's very good stuff there (I've hung out at the board since 2005), but I admit it'll take some digging. (Sorry, I know nothing of the special requirements for a hot-rodding gaming machine, except that it is a totally different animal.)

Gaming PC [configuration]
    http://forums.hardwareguys.com/ikonb...gi?act=SF;f=23
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Hi
      Having built over 160 rigs, three of them specifically for gaming I would recommend four things.

a) Buy a "rig" KIT from NewEgg and both of you enjoy the experience of rolling your own.
      b) Be aware that there will be some kind of "generic" instructions which are meaningless about "locating the standoffs in the proper configuration for your mobo" and that you actually have to put standoffs between the mobo and the case. If you have ANY questions, please contact me. I have posted instructions on four sites on how to "build a rig".
      c) Do intel/nvidia, get any of the MS game controllers they work fine with Linux also, and, pay a little EXTRA....and get the previous version of the Gyration Air Mouse and Keyboard for him....IF there is any chance that the system will be hooked into a "home theatre system" of any kind at any time in the future. It is just a wonder, even your better half will like it. You can build a small system for the kitchen, put it in a cabinet, with the monitor on the counter, and she can work from the cooking island with the keyboard and mouse....it is just a marvel, wave it in the air while at the fridge or move it on the surface.
      d) Since the machine will have the very nice screws for the left side(facing) that are able to be manipulated by hand, one need merely to place TWO drives in the bays and have one of them be the Linux drive and the other Windows drive. Purchase a Win7 dvd and let him install it on one drive, then, you install a Linux on the other drive(having switched the cable) and REQUIRE that he watch and experience just how easy it is to install Linux vis a vis Windblows. One can do no more, a horse lead to water will not necessarily drink. Then unplug the cable from the Linux HD and plug it back into the Win7 drive.

You then, at two o-clock in the morning, when all are asleep, sneak into the room, change out the cables again and install each and every Linux game and ported game it is possible to put onto the Linux drive....then,..... switch the cables back to the Win7 drive.

appendix: When he gets tired of playing the Windows games, which he will at some point, if for no other reason than "been there done that".... you unscrew the screws, change out the cable to the Linux side and let him try them out.

I have to admit that there are no Linux alternatives to the Star Trek games, the Star Wars games, LOTR games, Sherlock Holmes games.....or....to BeJewelled with voice over....LEVEL UP!!!(throaty voice).

woodsmoke
      Last edited by woodsmoke; Mar 21, 2012, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
        Having built over 160 rigs, three of them specifically for gaming I would recommend four things.
        Yay! Exactly the kind of experience I knew I could find here.

a) Buy a "rig" KIT from NewEgg and both of you enjoy the experience of rolling your own.
        Yup, this is definitely going to be a father-son thing.

b) Be aware that there will be some kind of "generic" instructions which are meaningless about "locating the standoffs in the proper configuration for your mobo" and that you actually have to put standoffs between the mobo and the case. If you have ANY questions, please contact me. I have posted instructions on four sites on how to "build a rig".
        I will. Meanwhile, mind posting the URLs?

c) Do intel/nvidia
        Already I've decided to go this route based on the research I've conducted this evening. AMD appears to be fading.

Gyration Air Mouse and Keyboard
        That looks very cool!

wave it in the air while at the fridge
        Will it get me a beer?

place TWO drives in the bays and have one of them be the Linux drive and the other Windows drive
        Sneaky...

Purchase Win7
        Ha ha! Har har! Hee hee! Woo hoo! Hoo boy, that's sooooo funny!

Actually, thanks very much for this info, great start. I'll be sure to keep you all updated as we progress.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
          Yup, this is definitely going to be a father-son thing..
          Your father-son thing brings back LOTS of very fond memories. My son and I were like X & Y. We watched all of the NASA launches, from the Ranger Moon landings on. We hunted, fished, camped, boy scouts, read SciFi, I taught him programming, and hired him in my business .... so much time ... so many wonderful memories. He's 48 now. He, his 5 yr old son, and I went to see John Carter last Sunday. The Three Musketeers! The fun just keeps coming.... Savor every moment ... nothing in life matches it. Nothing means more.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Hi
            As to the urls, the most complete was at Castle Cops, now defunct. The next was at Klikit, hard drives went south and it is now not "moribund" but the "owner" is gone, great guys there though. The next was at RevLinuxOS, again their servers were Go-Daddy when it got hacked and then they just went south later. So no URLS with instructions. However, a few of the old hands here can verify that I did the ones at Rev.

Here is probably the only pic left online of a computer that I built from "junque" and modded, that is a dragon statue in the case.

Comment

Hi Steve....

The intel/nvidia route was what I was going to suggest too. I've built 2 systems to date and I would completely concur with Woodsmoke's advice: Don't go cheap! Get quality stuff and one of the most important components that need to be made with quality in mind is the PSU. My preference is for PC Power & Cooling, although their are other high quality brands out there, too, including this one from Corsair.

Concerning motherboards, I found this article. From what I understand, ASUS and Gigabyte produce some top boards, quality wise. I was an AOpen fan before they stopped making ATX boards (and decided to concentrate on mini-ITX.) :-)

Hope this helps...

Regards...
              Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
              How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
              PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

System76 have the following rig available which might serve as a reference for you. Advertised @ US$1399.00

Processor: 2nd Generation Sandy Bridge-E Intel Core i7 and Extreme i7 CPU's
                Core Logic: Intel X79 Express Chipset
                Graphics: up to 3 GB nVidia Geforce GTX Classified
                Memory: up to 64 GB Quad Channel DDR3 @ 1600 MHz
                Storage: up to 2 TB SATA III, High Performance RAID 0 Options
                Networking: Gigabit LAN (10/100/1000), Optional WiFi
                Wireless: Optional 802.11 bgn
                Audio System: Intel High Definition Audio - 5.1 Channel via HDMI Out, 2.1 Channel via Analog IO
                Front Ports: 2 x USB 2.0, Microphone In, Headphone Out
                Rear Ports: 2 x SuperSpeed USB 3.0, 6 x USB 2.0, 1394 Firewire, Analog Audio I/O, RJ45 LAN
                Expansion: 2 x PCI Express X16 (one occupied by graphics card), 3 x PCI Express X1, 1 x 32-bit PCI slot
                Power Management: Suspend & Hibernate
                Power Supply: 650 Watt 80 Plus Certified. 80% or greater power efficiency
                Dimensions: 8.27" x 18.11" x 19.29" (W x H x D)

Website
                Kubuntu 12.04 - Acer Aspire 5750G

"I don't make a great deal of money, but I'm ok with that 'cause I don't hurt a lot of people in the process either"

Comment

So far:

* Intel-based motherboard with Z68 chipset. I'm liking what I've read about ASRock.
                  * Core i5-2500K processor. Overclock goodness.

Questions:

* RAID-0 seems like a no-brainer: two 500GiB drives, striped for speed. Anyone with real-world experience?
                  * Realtek audio appears pervasive. Matter of fact, I'm not finding much mention of dedicated audio cards. Have these faded out of style?

Comment

* Intel-based motherboard with Z68 chipset. I'm liking what I've read about ASRock.
                    * Realtek audio appears pervasive. Matter of fact, I'm not finding much mention of dedicated audio cards. Have these faded out of style?
                    Hi Steve...

ASRock is ASUS's budget line. I'm not sure if they support overclocking very well, if at all. I wouldn't consider them a gaming board. As for sound cards, I don't think they are as prevalent as they used to be but they're still around. According to this site, ASUS's Xonar and Auzentech's Forte are among the best gaming cards available. :-)

Regards...
                    Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
                    How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
                    PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

Steve, just noticed that link I gave you does not contain too many recent posts specifically re gaming machines, though the basic info is scattered elsewhere there. However, here IS a fairly recent exchange (and example). (btw, You can bank on advice from both experts rbmorse and FascistNation):

http://forums.hardwareguys.com/ikonb...ST;f=23;t=7724
                      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

So far:

* Core i5-2500K processor. Overclock goodness.
                        Ive got an ASRock z68 Pro3 and am liking it. No Linux compatibility problems. Only one pci express x16 slot though....

Comment

What? No transparent acrylic side panel surrounded with flashing blue LEDs so one could admire the inner workings and explain the components to any noobs who happened by?
                          (That was how I set up my last DYI desktop, with full size tower.)
                          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I went AMD / ATI on my build over Christmas. Asus MB. Almost double the $ for a nominal gain in performance is not worth it IMHO in choosing Intel. My rig....flies.
                            ​"Keep it between the ditches"
                            K*Digest Blog
                            K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

I would second Dequire on his comment.

Just about any high end hardware is now getting to the stage of being able to outpace the interaction of the player with pixels in the game. Then it comes down to whether the game itself is particularly designed to excel with a certain type of hardware.

Since I don't play online games except like Bejewelled or scrabble type things I have no clue about how a certain level of hardware interacts with an online gaming environment.

I merely mentioned intel and nvidia because I, personally, have had the best luck with them in Linux and the few purchased MS games I have recommended them.

woodsmoke

Comment

Working...
                              X