Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This, for my friend woodsmoke - The virtuous 'cork' (not woodsmoke)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The sense of taste is affected greatly by the sense of smell. This is well known. Blindfold 'taste testers' and pinch off their noses so that they can only breath through their mouths. Now, have them eat a slice of onion, and then a slice of apple. Most cannot tell the difference.

The sense of smell actually enhances the sense of taste. That is why wine glasses, and for that matter, beer glasses, take the shapes they do, for the libation they are intended for.
    Last edited by Snowhog; Mar 19, 2012, 09:30 PM.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

sorry -- deleted
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

GAWD I LOVE THIS FORUM!!!

Oshunlover wrote:

My primary wine advice to new wine drinkers: Invest in the proper and a variety of glassware. Believe it or not that is the primary external factor in how a wine tastes, hands down.

I know that folks will probably find this hard to believe, but I actually teach this for a "minute or two" when we are in the "senses" section of biology.

Great commetns all and I hope OTHERS will chime in also!

Yessir I DO LOVE THIS FORUM!!!

Comment

There is too much agreement and harmony in this thread. Am I really reading something at KFN? Where's the argument, the passion? Oshun mentioned he prefers screw caps over stoppers. Not a single one of you debated that. Oh c'mon!

Comment

Screw caps. double entendre
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Huh. I think you're all just a bit buzzed with that wine. Speaking of which...BRB!

Comment

I must have been tipsy last night, agreeing so much about swirling my next glass of wine.
                :-)

Screw caps: my cheap-o wine comes in large bottles and I need to keep the air out between openings.
                How about THAT?!
                An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

You guys are all nuts. I like the boxed wines. It comes in a plastic bag inside a cardboard box. No cork to fiddle with and it will keep longer cause the air stays out.

Oh, and it tastes just fine in a coffee mug.

Ken.
                  Opinions are like rear-ends, everybody has one. Here's mine. (|)

Comment

Originally posted by lcorken View Post
                    Oh, and it tastes just fine in a coffee mug.
                    For that full cardboard experience, I presume you quaff your whine from one of these, no?

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                      For that full cardboard experience, I presume you quaff your whine from one of these, no?
                      Hmm, well. A little Mocha residue may be good.

Comment

Okaaay..... a hint of coffee with one's wine!

For those who happen to not know my reference to Champipple was a running joke on the t.v. series Sanford and Son.

Champipple recipe:

The original recipe from Fred Sanford was cheap champagne and Ripple(cheap red wine).

http://www.inherentlyfunny.com/funny...hampipple.html

But there is a stronger version:

Cheap Champagne, Cheap Vodka and Cheap Wine(Ripple)

And, apparently, the show has been off mainstream t.v. for so long, it is on cable a lot, that there is a morphing of the word to "chambibble".

http://www.drinksmixer.com/drink2766.html

woodhicsmoke

Comment

I don't know if it was the same episode but I remember Fred Sanford refer to "Applejack". Don't remember what AppleJack tastes like but do like hard cider.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Applejack_%28beverage%29

Ken

Comment

yep he had a line about applejack also.

woodsmoke

Comment

Working...
                            X