X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fedora

So
    ;in my linux class, we are going over package mabagers. the devain stuff was easy for me, but i couldnt remember the rpm stuff. So i installed fedora 16 kde. Its a nice distro. Everything worked rightc off. Good package selwction after you install rpmfusion...

Sent from my YP-G1 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jpenguin; Mar 15, 2012, 09:39 AM.
    Registered Linux User 545823

This is waayyyyyy off the wall but.....

A guy used to teach an "adult education" class at my college on "Linux programming".....

He used a Fedora book that was back at COMMAND LINE....

I ran into a few of his students at different parties and they ALL said.....that.......they never actually got to have an "operational Linux"....but they did "work through the book".

I kind of wondered about that.... when Fedora was available in a magazine as a weird included cd...

but....

Then....at another party.....this one was a "pool party" whereat the GregMan had built a "projector" from an overhead projector and a laptop screen and ran a Linux....I think that it was Open Suse....to project.....well.....ummm.....videos.....on a screen which I was conspiratorial to build..... the folks in the pool had consumed WAAAAYYYY too many alcoholic beverages....

But anyway....I discovered that a fellow standing near me was the "instructor"....

So....since I am a brash sort of fellow....I asked why he chose to use such an OBVIOUSLY OLD(to any Linux user) book?

The reply:

"Yuk, Yuk, Yuk, I got them cheap off e-bay.,....still have a few....do you want one?"

So...... yep.... fedora is a fine distro, and KDE on it is great...I actually TRIED HARD...to like the new Unity interface.....but I could never get into the rpm stuff.

woodsmoke

Comment

I may have to try Fedora again one of these days. I hope they have any nvidia issues resolved (even with nuoveau) by then (I believe I've mentioned those issues in previous posts in other threads here at KFN). I wonder if they also have a netinstall iso available like the Ubuntu minimal CD. (I'll look myself though)
      The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

I have ab ATI catd, and the FOSS drivers work fine for me. I think ill stick with kubuntu for my lappy though

Sent from my YP-G1 using Tapatalk
        Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Working...
        X