future is a mystery ,
    today is a gift .
    that is why it is called present.

By Grand Master Oogway from kungfu Panda
    Loka samastha sukhino bhavanthu

Comment

Also some quotes from upanishads

"Eesha vasam idham sarvam "

Its mening in a simple and concise way is god is every where in the world.
      Meaning the fact that nature itself is god.

"Aham brahmasmi"

Literal meaning:I am god
      Explanation(simple):Since nature is god itself and everything that is part of nature is god , you are also god.

"thatwamasi"
      literal meaning :you are god
      Explanation (simple):same as above
      Last edited by r; Mar 19, 2012, 08:05 PM.
      Loka samastha sukhino bhavanthu

Comment

I noticed Icorkin's sig, "I may not agree with what you say but will try harder if you say it in fewer words."

Along those lines, and as anyone knows who has struggled to learn something difficult and then to explain it to someone else,

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." --Albert Einstein
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Nice quotes. I actually like them all.

Comment

Qqmike. Thanks for noticing my sig. I do feel out of place with Albert Einstein though.

How about a movie quote. From The Karate Kid (1984). When asked what to do when a gang of bullies are about to attack Mr. Miyagi simply said "Be somewhere else".

Ken.
            Opinions are like rear-ends, everybody has one. Here's mine. (|)

Comment

You had to mention movie quotes ... :-) And after hesitating for 20 minutes, I can't resist posting some of my (most) favorite Woody Allen quotes, so here goes ( I omitted R-rated ones):

The food here is terrible, and the portions are too small. Well, that's essentially how I feel about life - full of loneliness, and misery, and suffering, and unhappiness, and it's all over much too quickly.

Eighty percent of success is showing up.

His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it through not dying.

I'm not afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens.

Most of the time I don't have much fun. The rest of the time I don't have any fun at all.

My one regret in life is that I am not someone else.

I'm very proud of my gold pocket watch. My grandfather, on his deathbed, sold me this watch.

You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred.

Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem.

If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans.

This guy goes to a psychiatrist and says, Doc, my brother’s crazy. He thinks he’s a chicken. The doctor says, Well, why don’t you turn him in? And the guy says, I would but I need the eggs. Well I guess that’s pretty much how I feel about relationships. You know they’re totally irrational and crazy and absurd but I guess we keep going through it because, uh, most of us need the eggs.

In California, they don't throw their garbage away - they make it into TV shows.

I was the captain of the latent paranoid softball team. We used to play all the neurotics on sunday morning. Nailbiters against the bedwetters, and if you've never seen neurotics play softball, it's really funny. I used to steal second base, and feel guilty and go back.

Standing in a garage no more makes you a car than standing in a church makes you a Christian. [I think I'd turn this one around and use it!]

All people know the same truth. Our lives consist of how we choose to distort it.

My films are therapy for my debilitating depression. In institutions people weave baskets. I make films.
              An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Some of my favorite movie quotes

"Wait 'til they get a load of me" -- Jack Nicholson as the Joker in Batman (1989)

"Admiral, there be whales here!" -- Scotty (James Doohan) in Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986)
                The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

Working...
                X