This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Encyclopaedia Brittanica

Everyone here should have learned about the end of the print edition of the EB. What are your thoughts about it and any reminscences of print encyclopedias. I myself had used a Funk&Wagnalls edition from ca. 1982 plus a 1992 World Book edition which I still have. It is fun to look into those books and remember how much has changed (discoveries, tech advances, current events) since those specific editions were published.
    The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Originally posted by bsniadajewski View Post
    Everyone here should have learned about the end of the print edition of the EB. What are your thoughts about it and any reminscences of print encyclopedias. I myself had used a Funk&Wagnalls edition from ca. 1982 plus a 1992 World Book edition which I still have. It is fun to look into those books and remember how much has changed (discoveries, tech advances, current events) since those specific editions were published.
    We got a copy of Encyclopædia Britanica in the early 60s and since I was young, did indeed enjoy the articles on science and technology. However, as I got older I came to appreciate the (much) larger world as well. History, for example is one of the things which one might study, and those articles do not go out of date.

The thing that is particularly noteworthy about Britanica is the quality of the articles. Unlike Wikipedia, they tried for original articles by prominent writers. That gave them a level of authority and trustworthiness that other encyclopædias, could not compete with. Original sources will always trump secondary ones. Wikipedia, although admittedly very useful, will never be able to come even close in that regard.

I think the changes happening in the information world have a lot to do with the medium, as this change points to. However, the more important aspect is the editorial policies as they relate to types and amount of funding. Will we ever see such a collection of original articles again? Will their historical "development" model survive in the digital world?

Comment

I should also mention I also have a Britannica 2006 Deluxe box set (3 CD's) too. It was pretty cool, having the access to all that general info in the EB with some updates now and then. Nothing, though, like the updatability of Wikipedia and it's companion sites like Wiktionary (both of which I have in my Bookmarks Toolbar in Firefox. I would love for Wikipedia to allow some "original"ity (so to speak) or try to "import" info from EB or some other site, if allowed to though.
      The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

As a kid growing up in the 50's-60's, we had a set of Encyclopædia Britanica. Quite a big deal back then, a status symbol. My sister still has the set. Nothing beats a hard copy book. I think it's too bad how things are going now. Nothing beats reading from a book or reading a newspaper. I for one hate to see the demise of old-fashioned hard copy media.
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

We homeschool our kids, and we've got the set of encyclopedia's on the shelf (forget the brand name) ready to go once they get old enough.

In this digital world, there is still something satisfying about opening up a paper book and reading from it.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottyK View Post
            In this digital world, there is still something satisfying about opening up a paper book and reading from it.
            One totally true things that can be said when it's in 'print', is no one would be able to say "I never said that."
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I did NOT EXPECT ......this "take" on it....

bsniadejewski............a TIP OF MY HAT to you......

innovative.......just what I thought would be the experience when I came here....

again....a tip of my hat to you....

but...to your question.....

The first person to try to do a "one person" encyclopedia, that was kind of halfway successful....

was...Roger Bacon............He wrote....Novum Organum which I read in a "collected edition'.....laying VERY UNcomfortably....on a very ODIOUS..... "art deco" rug which my mother had retrieved from an auction.....when I was about 14-15.

In it....I discovered the ......."Idols"....of which....the Idols of the Cave captured the imagination of a young teen version of Sheldon Cooper the most....

Later, when I was penurious and in college, I purchased...not all of them.....but "some" of them....the Encyclopeida of the Twentieth Century......

which had in it.....in 1917..... a drawing, and description of what was "lost".....until about 1987.... the fact that there was an "opening" in the Sphinx's head.

Unfortunately I find NO reference for it on the web.

While the chillun were chillun I gathered FROM THE TRASH.....the whole of the 1980's PURPLE Ency Britannnica because the (name of state omitted) Department of Eddication said.....that they were "out of date".....ok....so then we got the "two different kinds of books" EB which was....less than useable.........

But....my kiddies got to grow up with a complete EB....

(BTW my mother/grandpere purchased the World Book for me when I was twelve, and which I READ EN TOTO...by the time I was about 16....and my chillun got to use it also...

A few years ago....at a yard sale.... a woman said she would PAY ME....to TAKE IT AWAY....

A full set of " Nelson's Encycolpedia" which now occupies a TREASURED..... space on my book shelves...

There is an "open library" version: HERE at Open Library

I apologize for "going off topic" with encyclopedias that were not EB.... but....

GREAT THREAD!!

woodsmoke

Comment

Originally posted by bsniadajewski View Post
                Interesting thread. We too had Funk & Wagnalls circa 65-73? Remember reading those. So much information. Never knew untill much later what a treasure trove that really was. I agree with everyone here about the demise of print as such. There isn't anything more satisfying than opening a book.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottyK View Post
                  We homeschool our kids, and we've got the set of encyclopedia's on the shelf (forget the brand name) ready to go once they get old enough.

Especially when you're ... busy .

I also remeber being in the college library back in the day (which for me was the mid to late '90's) and seing a whole set of EB in the reference section. I couldn't believe how in depth is could go in certain topics in the Macropaedia (at least compared to WB and F&W). A guy could definitely learn plenty of stuff from just reading it.

BTW thanks woody.

Comment

Working...
                  X