X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My old stapler

Hi
    I just finished uploading my grades for midterms and stapled the printouts together to hand in as hard copies using my "old stapler".

I received it from the professor for whom I was working as a lab assistant. It was "outmoded" and the college had purchased new staplers for all of the faculty and she offered it to me.

I've used it ever since.

I like connections to my history that I can touch and see.

Do you have any such items?

woodhistoricalsmoke

Hi Woodsmoke...

I have an old toaster from the 1920's or 30's in mint condition, never been used (not even once) and in the original box. Does that count?

Regards...
    Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
    How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
    PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

If you like it yessir it does indeedy!

woodlikestoast'njamsmoke

Comment

Remember the smell of these things? Ah.......mmmmmmmm............!

Comment

My Marantz 6100 Turntable is over 30 (maybe over 35) years old, and I still use it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	new-clear-turntable-dust-cover-marantz-6100-dustcover-dac9d.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	639868
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
            Do you have any such items?
            Most of my stuff is an extension of my past actually. I'm right with you. Picking up something that is actually a real part of your life is a grounding experience. I love being connected with the physical world. I have things that both my parents had, and often made, which are in daily use. I use a number of my father's hand tools that go back to the 40's, although by necessity, table saws, band saw, welder, compressor etc are much newer. If you come to my house you will have a fairly Victorian experience. And like your stapler, not just because of style, but because of their meaning. Although I have always avoided plastics in my home since they started to come out, I cannot avoid it with computer technology though. Still, I'm adamant about using a model M and the one I'm typing on now is from 1984 - about the same age as the oldest software that I still use. hehe Without having to take a picture of a particular thing, here is a corner of my living room which conveys my home environment quite well. I could tell you a story about all those things.

Comment

Wow, Ole, nice! :-)

@Woodsmoke: Actually, it was a gift. I admit I don't have any sentimental value attached to it.

Regards...
              Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
              How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
              PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

woodsmoke: I believe you have my stapler
                (sorry!)

ole: Amazing room! ... How old is that guitar / instrument? I can't decide if it's very old art deco-ish, or very new ...

As for outmoded items that I still use ... possibly ... myself? I'm sure I have a few ancient items around but nothing springs to mind.
                I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

From dad's stuff -- Got a stapler that looks similar to woodsmoke's (from the 40's/early 50's: Speed Products Co., Long Island City New York). Actually not using it, but I just now pulled it out and am going to load it and use it. Many old drawing tools (he was an architect-engineer) that I use occasionally. His old hand tools, early 50's, -- REAL ones. You know, made in USA to last forever and ever and ever. And I do use those. Lots of old stuff around the house, but mostly in storage or on display like a camera we used when vacationing along Route 66 in the 1950's.
                  An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I have a lot of hand tools that belonged to my father, and some that belonged to my wife's grandfather. I have a Rigid pipe wrench that is older than I am, and I'm old. I inquired to the Rigid folks to ask if it was still under warranty and they said it was.

Comment

I inherited 'early', one of my dad's slide rules, a 5" K&E Log Log Duplix Decitrig Slide Rule (with an original manual!)
                      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

OH Yeah......even had the holster!

When I was in the Navy they gave me a PICKET!! lol....

And....a POCKET PROTECTOR!!!

with....NUC on it for "Naval Undersea Center"! lol

And, when we were on the "gunline" they even gave me a "ballistic slide rule" which we used to "check the calculations" of the officer that was in the turrets. Didn't matter what we calculated, we used his! And.....he was so good at what he did that the "gyrenes" gave the ship a "beach party" when the platoons rotated back to the U.S.

How geeky is THAT!!??

lol

woodgeeksmoke
                        Last edited by woodsmoke; Mar 15, 2012, 11:02 PM.

Comment

I like connections to my history that I can touch and see.

woodhistoricalsmoke
                          I agree. My Dad's old Bostich B8 Stapler. Odd enough, my wife has her Dad's stappler which was the same model. So I have two here on my desk. I think Stanley bought out Bostich and I think they actually still make the B8 model is some form.
                          Last edited by MoonRise; Mar 16, 2012, 06:01 AM.

Comment

And, when we were on the "gunline" they even gave me a "ballistic slide rule"
                            In the Army it is called a "Graphical Firing Table".

Comment

Originally posted by SecretCode View Post
                              ole: Amazing room! ... How old is that guitar / instrument? I can't decide if it's very old art deco-ish, or very new ...
                              That's not as old as me, because I made it when I was in my teens. Like lots of kids in the 60s I was into electric guitar and making them. That one has many coats of different off-white shades which are well sanded between coats to make an ivory effect. Funny, I played the violin very well as a teen, but I thought the guitar guys were too conservative - hence the design.

Comment

Working...
                              X