X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome interview!

An interview of George Dyson is here.

Wired: You write about “digital organisms.” Is this what you mean?

Dyson: Digital organisms, while not necessarily any more alive than a phone book, are strings of code that replicate and evolve over time. Digital codes are strings of binary digits—bits. A Pixar movie is just a very large number, sitting idle on a disc, while Microsoft Windows is an even larger number, replicated across hundreds of millions of computers and constantly in use. Google is a fantastically large number, so large it is almost beyond comprehension, distributed and replicated across all kinds of hosts. When you click on a link, you are replicating the string of code that it links to. Replication of code sequences isn’t life, any more than replication of nucleotide sequences is, but we know that it sometimes leads to life.

Wired: Where is this digital universe headed?

Dyson: We have created this expanding computational universe, and it’s open to the evolution of all kinds of things. It’s cycling faster and faster, and it’s way, way, way more than doubling in scale every year. Even with the help of Google and YouTube and Facebook, we can’t consume it all. And we aren’t really aware what this vast space is filling up with. From the human perspective, computers are idle 99 percent of the time, just waiting for the next instruction. While they’re waiting for us to come up with instructions, more and more computation is happening without us, as computers write instructions for each other. And as Turing showed mathematically, this space can’t be supervised. As the digital universe expands, so does this wild, undomesticated side.

Dyson also mentions the ENIAC computer. and the two authors of the electronics textbook that I studied from in graduate school, Eckert & Mauchly. Following those links one learns about the patent lawsuits which took place following WWII, and how their resolution in 1973 placed what became out PC into the public domain, and event that was unnoticed because the media was fascinated with Nixon's "Saturday Night Massacre". The intrigue, theft, double-dealing, lying and character assassination that took place was just as bad then as it is now.

A great read!
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Tangentially related, Susan Blackmore explores the notion of cultural evolution via memes in a 2008 TED talk. I love her analogy with genes: that memes are ideas capable of spreading to ensure their survival. (Dyson's reference to "replication" made me think of this.)

Comment

Susan Blackwell's "memes" and "temes" (tech memes) theory is an idea that seems to defy its basis. Humans are self-replicators. Memes are replicators that REQUIRE self-replicators to create them and pass them on. She talks about memes as if they were conscience and intelligent, making rational decisions and scheming plans to trick self-replicators into continuing to make more of them, which is total nonsense. Memes are loosely defined (toilet paper tying? Ear rings?), I believe, to conceal a logical weakness in the theory. That toilet paper didn't fold itself. It was folded. Digital memes (tmemes) likewise didn't walk out of the primordial electric goo by themselves. They were created. Even if they become self-replicators they might never become self-aware. She has a LOT more work to do on her theory.

Self-awareness is, to me, the fundamental hurdle to AI. Until that level is achieved AI algorithms are just sophisticated hashes. Even IF it does, eventually, achieve self-awareness, the computer (or whatever becomes AI) owes its existence to the intelligence of man. Sorry, I just can't see the possibility of a JK-flipflop spontaneously arranging itself out of sand, aluminum, copper and gold, regardless of how much time, agitation, lightening or luck you give the precursors.

My favorite scifi writer, Robert J Sawyer, has an excellent trilogy "The WWW Trilogy, about the web becoming sentient. The story line has an untold number of IP packets sloshing back and forth around the web (apparently their ttl was set to some huge number and their destination severs are never encountered ...and... that IP packet burden never slogs down the web) and through bit rot and such it becomes self-aware. Like all scifi books there is a lot of hand-waving at the difficult points, but the story is very well written. He has another series which starts with one called "Homonid", about a parallel universe in which the Neanderthal achieves a technical level on par with us and through a neutrino experiment gone wry they create a portal between their universe and ours. So far, I have found all of his books enjoyable reads, and I am looking forward to reading the rest of his works.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
      X