Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plasma Active 2 student comments KDE devs pay attention.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plasma Active 2 student comments KDE devs pay attention.

Well,

GG beat me to it again!!

But, KDE Plasma Active developers should listen to what my students said.

I have quite a few Ipad users in my two biology sections with 42 students total.

I ran the Plasma Active 2 video continuously in the ten minutes before lecture started.

The comments:

a) COOL!!
    b) Why doesn't Ipad look nice like that!?
    c)) Where can I order that!
    d) What is an activity?

Now to the point.

The people who made the video should do one of two things:

a) pull the video and replace "hey see our activity" with " replace going through applications with an activity click".

b) Put the above sentence in the Plasma Active 3 video if there is going to be one.

Of the 42 people watching the video about, maybe 35 were paying attention to it at least the first run through.

Of those maybe twenty actually "stuck" and asked questions of me about it. They KNOW that I do Linux so that may have been somewhat of a "play to the teacher".

But.... Quite a few asked "what is an activity",

"A lot' of them "got it" and then explained it to those who asked questions.

THEN A LOT OF THEM PAID ATTENTION!!!!!!!!

What??!! Well, yeah.... click an icon to "do" pictures?!!

GREAT IDEA was the comments....

after it was explained.

Either this video should have at least one line redone or the next one should have some kind of "dumb dumb" line like, "replace clicking through ten things to do a photo with one activity click".

NOTE: this is not a "slam" on the video. The video is great for people in the middle of the forest. But the students are not looking at trees they are looking at the forest. The devs don't think like students think. No knock on the devs.

Aside: for this many students to actually get actively(PUN) involved in a video about something is very good.

But, then, they are actively(PUN) thinking about buying a tablet of some kind.

Just a word to the KED PLASMA ACTIVE DEVS, and of course, since it is from woodsmoke it will be summarily ignored.

woodsmoke
    Last edited by woodsmoke; Mar 10, 2012, 11:16 PM.

As there are (unfortunately?) few KDE developers that frequent KFN, such observations as this aren't likely to get the attention that it deserves. I'm sure you are aware of Getinvolved/development - look at "Communicating with the team".
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

well, yes, but unfortunately, I am woodsmoke and ideas from woodsmoke are dismissed by the powers that be.

I figured that if some kind person here thought the idea had any worth then that person might, very kindly, send a pm to a dev over there, sans the woodsmoke appelation.

woodsmoke

Comment

Working...
      X