This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My brass band in concert

I've mentioned once or twice here before that I play in Puget Brass, a British-style brass band here in Seattle. Each year we participate in the Northwest Brass Band Festival, which brings together several brass bands from around the region for a day of master classes with an invited guest artist and an evening concert. I thought you all might find this enjoyable. The clip below is our portion of that concert. It's about 18 minutes long and includes three wonderful pieces.

Intrada -- Ein Feste Burg
    This is a "showpiece" arrangement of "A mighty fortress." The cornet section is divided into three antiphonal choirs and distributed around the back of the band. They get to show off, while the rest of us have to play all serious-like
    0:53 -- Charles joined us this season. He was principal trumpet for the Seattle Symphony a few years ago.
    1:25 -- Short three-part round of the main theme.
    2:10 -- Dave plays bass trombone, with additional tubing and valves to reach the lowest notes.
    2:50 -- Chuck plays the flugelhorn. It provides the tonal bridge between cornets and alto horns.
    4:03 -- Tubas start a 16th-note run that descends almost to the lowest note possible at 4:24 -- check out Ben's cheeks!

Canterbury Chorale
    While we rearrange ourselves into the traditional seating for a brass band, the guest conductor introduces the piece. He mentions some organ chords, which you'll hear near the end of the piece.
    8:12 -- Matt drapes a small cloth over his bell to darken the tone a bit.
    8:23 -- Bryce plays a variation of the theme on his brand new alto horn.
    8:45 -- Yours truly! Listen for the 8th-note dissonance and resolution at 8:59.
    10:35 -- Another, longer, dissonance-resolution. It's phenomenal to sit in the band and be surrounded by that sound.
    10:57 -- The organ chords.
    11:20 -- Ansgar (seen at 11:29) plays the E-flat cornet, the highest voice in the band.
    11:55 -- Watch Ben put a mute in his tuba without a single clang! That thing is about 3 feet tall.

Oldham Rifle Brigade
    John Falskow returns to conduct the march. This is one of the most technical marches I've seen. When you compare this with the previous piece, you can see just how diverse a brass band can really be.
    12:47 -- Listen as the 16th notes move left to right across the band, from cornets to baritones and euphoniums.
    14:57 -- Don plays not a trill but a tremolo -- rapidly alternating fingerings on the same pitch.
    15:31 -- Listen for the euphoniums and baritones on their fast scale-like motifs.
    16:51 -- The trombones introduce the conclusion.

That thing I play in the band is somewhat uncommon. My primary instrument is French horn, but British brass bands don't use those. Instead, the middle voice is provided by the alto horn. You won't see this instrument used anywhere else but settings like these.
    Last edited by SteveRiley; Mar 10, 2012, 12:17 AM.

That is wonderful. Steve, is there no end to your talents? Bit less hair than in your sig picture!

Comment

Thanks for sharing.
      Really enjoyed that.

Comment

Nice 8)
        Ok, got it: Ashes come from burning.

Comment

Steve, is there no end to your range of talents?

There is a word to describe folks like you: prodigy. :cool:

I'm glad you are a member of this site!
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Aww, you guys are too kind. It's a real privilege to play an a group as talented as PugetBrass, and also to be a member of KFN. I enjoy contributing to both, and I learn a lot from both.

Comment

SR
              I've said it before and I'll say it again. You are a multifaceted personality!!

woodsmoke

Comment

Thanks, Woody.

I must admit that getting back into music making has really been quite a lot of fun. When Microsoft laid me off in 2009 I got my French horn out of the closet after not playing it since 1991. I've had a number of opportunities to play at various events since getting my chops back into shape. Once I even got to join the studio orchestra that was recording music for some graduates from the Seattle Film Institute's Master of Music in Film Composition. What a neat experience!

Comment

When I played, many years ago, the French Horn was also my primary instrument. I won the state band contest solo performance in 1959 with the French Horn part from Siegfried's Rhine Journey. I loved playing in our concert band, not so much in the marching band where most of the French Horn parts are the pa part of om-pa.

Also most of the marches where written for an E-flat horn, and mine was a F horn which means I had to transpose all of the music. Actually it was a double horn.

Comment

I bow to your talent!

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                    I got my French horn out of the closet
                    I don't know if you have come across Flanders and Swann? Ill Wind?
                    I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate View Post
                      I won the state band contest solo performance in 1959 with the French Horn part from Siegfried's Rhine Journey.
                      Fun bit! And definitely a staple for the hornist. You ever play Gliere's Horn Concerto? That was my senior year contest piece. What a blast.

Originally posted by Detonate View Post
                      Also most of the marches where written for an E-flat horn, and mine was a F horn which means I had to transpose all of the music. Actually it was a double horn.
                      I found a neat horn a few months ago. It's a 1975 Hans Hoyer compensating double with a fifth E/A-flat stopping valve. No need to transpose when muting with the hand now. Bought it off eBay from a guy in Bulgaria.

Originally posted by SecretCode View Post
                      I don't know if you have come across Flanders and Swann? Ill Wind?
                      This? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHWnFJ4_61U

No, I never came across these guys! Pretty funny

Comment

I can't remember that far back. I also went to the Tri-Sate band competition in Enid, OK that year and we my French Horn section won first place, but I can't remember what we played. I was 1st horn.

Comment

Very, very enjoyable, Steve. Thanks for sharing it -- I agree your talents are prodigious.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                            I've mentioned once or twice here before that I play in Puget Brass, a British-style brass band here in Seattle. Each year we participate in the Northwest Brass Band Festival, which brings together several brass bands from around the region for a day of master classes with an invited guest artist and an evening concert. I thought you all might find this enjoyable. The clip below is our portion of that concert. It's about 18 minutes long and includes three wonderful pieces.
                            . . .

That thing I play in the band is somewhat uncommon. My primary instrument is French horn, but British brass bands don't use those. Instead, the middle voice is provided by the alto horn. You won't see this instrument used anywhere else but settings like these.

Thanks for posting that. I finally got around to giving it a good listen. Very nice!

I was particularly pleased to see the alto horn. I've always had a love for those, but they are indeed rare. At one point I wanted to play that but somehow ended up as a flautist instead. (long story) The alto is a really nice range and I always wondered why it wasn't used more - particularly in jazz (my field) where the instrumentation isn't as strongly dictated. A few years ago I asked a locally prominent trumpet player why that was. His reply was simple - work. Nice instrument, but everybody needs to make a living, and trying to maintain a separate embouchure for something that won't pay the rent is a serious limitation. I wonder how you manage the difference between a french horn and alto horn embouchure - that seems a bit extreme.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl View Post
                              Very, very enjoyable, Steve. Thanks for sharing it -- I agree your talents are prodigious.
                              <blush>

Originally posted by Ole Juul View Post
                              Very nice!

I wonder how you manage the difference between a french horn and alto horn embouchure - that seems a bit extreme.
                              Thank you.

When I first started playing the alto, I used my French horn mouthpiece and a shank adapter. I was never very satisfied with the result -- the tone was thin and intonation was wobbly. I finally switched to Dennis Wick (the best, I'm told) alto horn mouthpiece and noticed an immediate improvement. Size-wise, it's between that of a trombone and a trumpet. So it's large enough that I use a different set of muscles with that mouthpiece. Strangely, this has resulted in overall stronger lips. I can now hit high C on my French horn, and run all the way down to the basement C that's four octaves lower, without having to do any warmup!

Comment

Working...
                              X