X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nvidia supporting Linux!

http://www.linuxfoundation.org/news-...nux-foundation
    Ok, got it: Ashes come from burning.

something tells me they are not really going to do anything for their gpu owners. this is really only to get their tegra platform used more by linux based mobile platforms. also i think the article is wrong about them inventing the gpu in 1999, gpu's had been made for some time before then. i for one hope they help w/ the open nvidia driver, but something tells me they wont.
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Before anyone gets too excited about this announcement, they should read the Phoronix article on the subject: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTA2NzI

NVIDIA will be joining the Linux Foundation, per an announcement coming out in the morning. But for open-source Linux fans, will this be a reason to rejoice about NVIDIA potentially moving forward with open-source drivers? Don't break out the champagne quite yet.
      Just keep in mind that VIA, Adobe and Oracle are also members of the Linux Foundation, and we all know how well those companies are supporting Linux...
      sigpic
      "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
      -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Originally posted by HalationEffect View Post
        Just keep in mind that VIA, Adobe and Oracle are also members of the Linux Foundation, and we all know how well those companies are supporting Linux...
        Sadly true. However, even sponsorship means much and I think will help and benefit development of Linux.
        Ok, got it: Ashes come from burning.

Comment

Working...
        X