This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KILLER smartphones coming!

A few days ago I posted about the coming Asus PadFone, which features a smartphone nestled inside a tablet which can be docked onto a keypad. Among its other features is over 500 HOURS of talk time.

Well, there appears to be several more killer smartphones on the way.

http://www.datamation.com/mobile-wir...-phones-1.html

This is competition that Apple never dreamed of. Not that some of these phones will appeal to everyone, but the smartphone that lets you project a 50" spreadsheet or a movie onto a wall using 15 Lumens may appeal to a LOT students or sales presenters. Talk about being able to eat up your 8GB/month in less than a day .... A real 50" TV may be cheaper in the long run!
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Interesting phones. Not sure any of them will kill the iPhone ... but we are in for some exciting innovations over the next few years!
    I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Hardware keyboard = dinosaur

Sad day. Guess I better get really comfy with my G2, 'cause I suspect it'll be my last phone for a good long while.

Comment

See my post in ... some other thread ... about no one caring about full-size screen and full-size keyboard users any more.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
          Hardware keyboard = dinosaur

Sad day. Guess I better get really comfy with my G2, 'cause I suspect it'll be my last phone for a good long while.
          My hope is that the hardware keyboard will last at least as long as I do. My dad lived to 93. My biological mom smoked herself to death. I don't smoke. Hopfully, my dad's genes will prevail. My wife's mom lived to 93 and my wife looks every bit like she will last that long too.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
            my wife looks every bit like she will last that long too
            I'm left wondering whether there might be a better way to phrase what you really mean

Comment

When you talk about "smart phones" I am assuming your talking about those devices that have touch screens? There're not really phones but pocket sized tablet pc's. I do wish people would start referring them as a tablet pc not phone. If you call them phones because you can make phone calls with them, well you can do the same thing on desktop/laptop pc's but you don't call them phones!

Comment

Personally, I call any device that is 4.7" or smaller which allows for 2G/3G/4G cell tower connections, has a touch sensitive display, and loads and runs "apps" a smartphone.

Devices that are 4.7", use a touch display, has only a wifi connection to the web and no cell tower connection, can download and run apps, and needs VOIP or SIP to make person to person calls, I call a pocket pc, because that is where I keep mine.

Devices that have more than a 4.7" touch display but are like Pocket PCs in every respect except size, I call a tablet.

IOW, 10" iPad tablets are too big to fit into a pocket like an iPod 4 Touch can.

Comment

Originally posted by nickstonefan View Post
                  If you call them phones because you can make phone calls with them, well you can do the same thing on desktop/laptop pc's but you don't call them phones!
                  That can change. I use my notebook phone as a desktop phone as well. See ... easy!

Comment

I have Skype, Blink and Ekiga installed. I have accounts with Blink and Ekiga, but stopped using Skype for PC to phone calls.
                    I also use Google's Hangout, which is fantastic when one wants to talk face-to-face with more than one other person at the same time.

Comment

Working...
                    X