This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pity party...ignore if you're not in the mood

Some of you noticed that I've been absent lately--thanks for that. I'm having a really bad time right now.

On Valentine's day, my mom--you know, the 88-year-old I'm the primary caregiver for--did her favorite stunt...AGAIN...and it ended badly...AGAIN. She attempted to get out of bed--the HOSPITAL BED with RAILS I got her--by herself, and instead of making it to her wheelchair (which was right next to the bed), she fell. I was in the living room, happily working on one of my web sites, legs propped up on the coffee table, laptop on my lap, laboring under [what I now know to have been] a false sense of security that she was safely in bed. Then the UNMISTAKABLE sound of a body and furniture crashing to the floor. I jumped up, ran to her room, bed was empty, Mom's on the floor, bedside table and its contents upside down, and I stood there with my mouth open...and then SHOUTED "What the [F word] have you done?!" I immediately asked her "what was our [F word] agreement?!" and she said "that I not try to stand up unless someone is with me." (This would be SO MUCH easier if she had Alzheimer's or some other ailment that compromises her mental capacity...but she's ALL HERE. She KNOWS what she's doing, and she does it deliberately and willfully.) Then she said "call the paramedics" and I said "I'm NOT calling the [F word] paramedics again unless you have [F word] broken bones!" (I've called 911 so many times in the last 9 months it's ridiculous, and one of these times they're going to file a report questioning what's happening here.) Wait...somewhere in my expletive packed diatribe I ascertained that she was NOT hurt, at least not seriously, like broken bones.

As we [successfully, for once] got her up, I saw blood streaming from her left arm. Her skin is very thin now and bleeds easily. When she fell, she scraped it on something and had gashes from her shoulder to elbow. So instead of leaving the room--which is what I WANTED to do--I cleaned her [latest] wounds, bandaged them, then told her to stay in her [F word] bed because I did NOT want to see or speak to her right then. As some of you know, I've had a SEVERE issue with treatment-resistant, very high blood pressure since my brain tumor was removed, and I'm always in sinus tachycardia anyway (pulse >100). Well, it took HOURS for my BP and pulse to settle back down to their "normals." I was so upset...I just don't even know how to describe it.

I had told my mother--and, in her presence, everyone in our family, plus her doctor, social worker, physical therapist, and aides--that if she got up on her own ONE MORE TIME I was putting her in a nursing home. After I calmed down that night I talked to her and said "you've left me no choice, Mom--it's irresponsible on my part to continue allowing you to endanger yourself like this." Next morning I called her social worker first thing and told him what she'd done, and he knew what I wanted to do next. So he had a placement coordinator contact me. I spoke to her the following day. She sent me the names and numbers and info on several "boarding care" facilities, which are nicer than nursing homes and work for people, like my mom, who don't need NURSING care, but just supportive care for daily activities, like bathing. I scheduled an appointment for Saturday to go tour the one closest to our house, and my sister was going to go with me. I transferred $20,000 from a CD to Mom's checking account so there would be funds available to pay the facility's rent for several months; she paid nearly a $700 penalty on that because the CD wasn't mature. I was dead serious about all this--anyone who knows me KNOWS that I don't bluff. But my sister and her husband came over on both Friday and Saturday, and after several hours of...um...LOUD DISCUSSION with my mother, I agreed to relent and let Mom stay here *IF* we started using restraints on her. Yes, I know, that sounds cruel and horrible, but everyone, including her social worker, is in agreement that when it's for their own safety it's the RIGHT thing to do. So we ordered a Posey belt, which can be used either in the wheelchair or bed, I canceled the appointment at the boarding care facility, and crossed my fingers.

Since then she's fallen two more times, but they weren't because of her breaking our rule. I was with her both times, and each time she was getting up from her wheelchair to transfer to her bed, and just slid down like a sack of potatoes. (She's weak because she REFUSES to do her exercises as prescribed three times a day.) She wasn't hurt. But the stress of seeing my elderly mother on the floor is really getting to me.

Okay, so that's here. Then there's my best friend, who is 3,000 miles away. She had MINOR, outpatient surgery a month ago on her big toe. In and out, no big deal. Until an infection set in. She's a 100% disabled Marine, retired from the Corps because of a heart condition she acquired after drills on a black flag day; she's had a pacemaker since she was in her early 20s. Like me she has a plethora of health problems. So this infection wasn't a good sign. She started out on oral antibiotics, but they weren't working, so she was hospitalized, given IV antibiotics, and then released with a PICC line for IV antibiotics on board. She was improving, and then suddenly got worse...much worse. She was transported by ambulance from Naval to Carteret hospital on the 24th of February. After much testing they found that her hardware is infected. They're going to do cardio-thoracic surgery, I guess to remove/replace the infected hardware, but we don't know when. It's a dilemma because she's too sick for such invasive, major surgery, but if they don't get the infected hardware out she'll just get worse. I'm worried sick. I want to be with her, as she was after my craniotomy, but I can't go. My own health problems, combined with being Mom's primary caregiver, and having a houseful of pets makes it impossible for me to go. If she dies...I just don't know how I'll cope. I've already lost THREE, yes three, best friends over the years, and I can't imagine losing her. I'm so scared.

I'm overwhelmed beyond all description.
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Try to keep your chin up...
    Ok, got it: Ashes come from burning.

Comment

Hi DYK

We don't know each other, but, to some extent I experienced what you are experiencing with my mother. The upshot of her doing somewhat what is akin to your situation was that, because we(my married family and kids) had a farm we only contacted her once a day or so, in town. She laid on the floor for quite a while before we discovered that she wasn't answering the phone because she was gone. She finally had to go a nursing home also. This was in the sixties.

Fundamentally, you have to make your best estimate of what will keep you sane and her safe.

I am sure that I speak for all of the kind folks here that you are in our thoughts and prayers.

woodsmoke

Comment

Thanks Woody and rms, and those who've e-mailed and PMed me. I appreciate it. A lot. I was already just barely coping [due to my mother] but now, with my best friend not only so ill but so far away, I feel like I'm about to implode.
        Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

I also have been thinking about you DYK, wondering where you've been, and was about to either PM you or post a "Where is DYK?" thread. Though I've not been in your situation yet, I have many close friends and relatives who have. On the one hand, there are many practical issues that must be solved, like those you have told us about, and you have addressed them as well as anyone could. On the other hand--and I don't mean this to sound off the cuff or simplistic--you really must take care of yourself first and foremost, and that starts with standing back and taking a cosmic/philosophical perspective, and THAT depends on your personal flavor and approach to such. Basically, you must find a mental trick, based on your profound beliefs, and that ecologically fits your values, but that will let you release yourself from some or most of the feeling that you may implode or from feeling such a compelling sense of responsibility. To accept, to let go of the need to control ultimate, final outcomes. You can only do so much to help anyone; ethically you are only compelled to do so to a point; and none of us can do much to affect the natural course of disease and dying. We don't deal with it very well--not as a society nor as individuals. (Asian societies, as an example, seem better at this than we do in USA.) But you must try to "save yourself" as natural events unfold, to stand back and let things take their course. It may seem impossible to let it all go (at some level), but you really mustn't jeopardize your own health. Frankly, short of being a god and curing it all, it sounds to me that you have done admirably and have done all that can be expected of anyone in this situation, with both your mother and your friend. It may help to do as woodsmoke did and put a specified limit or goal on your participation (e.g., contacting once a day, or doing something special--food, a gift, a visit--say once a week, or something tangible and well defined that will constitute a "cap" or a "limit" to what you expect of yourself, and irrespective of how it is received or judged by the receiver or by anyone else). Hang in there, but not passively! Define your limits; firm up with a cosmic/philosophical stance. Easy for me to say, I do realize. --Warmly, Mike
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Wow, DYK. That's a lot of serious weight to be dealing with.

On a serious note, I'm going to echo what qqmike said: look after yourself first - or you won't do anyone any good. (And venting your feelings on a bunch of strangers who use Kubuntu is a valid part of looking after yourself!)

On a lighter note I'm sending a virtual GLARE :mad: to your mother to behave herself. It does sound somewhat as though she's deliberately breaking the rules and challenging you - perhaps because she feels powerless in most other ways?
            And a virtual GLARE to the bugs in your friend's hardware (is it the pacemaker itself that's infected? :eek: )
            I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Thanks QQ and SC. You both made me smile--and reflect. I've struggled, really bent over backward, to keep Mom here in the home she's lived in for FOUR decades, but I really feel like my sanity is on the line right now. The dilemma is that no one expects her to last if she's moved to some strange facility. I just think she'd lose her will to live. And so that's been the driving force behind my working so hard to keep her here. SC, you're right, we've all deduced that her acting out--whether it was refusing to eat last year (and losing 30 pounds--from her 105 pound starting weight), to refusing to drink enough liquids, to refusing to exercise, to continually breaking the rule about standing up with no one present--is because that's ALL she can control now. I get that. I'm STUBBORN to the max! I totally understand wanting to still be able to make decisions for myself. But when you're HURTING yourself? I don't know...

SC, regarding my friend, I believe it's the pacemaker's leads that are infected. As of last night it's up in the air whether or not they're going to proceed with surgery. I'm baffled because four weeks of IV antibiotics haven't come close to ridding the infection that took hold after the outpatient surgery, and has now infected her hardware, so I don't know what they're hoping to accomplish. They've tried several antibiotics, in various combinations, but it's still raging. I don't want the surgery to happen because of her compromised condition, but without it...I don't know what's going to happen.

Comment

One thing to watch for with your friend is, after a long period on those high powered antibiotics, she may develop a reaction to them, which in itself can be life threatening. I know I should not be giving you something else to worry about, but I went through this with my wife after she developed a staph infection on her spine and was sent home after two separate emergency surgeries and a month in the hospital. She had a PICC line, and as I was her primary caregiver, administration of the antibiotics was my responsibility. After a few weeks I almost lost her when she had a severe reaction to the Vancomycin so they switched her to Rocephin. Soon she developed a reaction to that also. If she ever gets another serious infection I don't know what they will do because those are about the two biggest guns in the arsenal. I have now been her caregiver for six years, so I know what you are going through. I will keep you in my prayers and thoughts. Take care of yourself.

Comment

Thanks, Detonate.

Funny that you should mention Vancomycin--my friend was THOUGHT to have been allergic to it, but then one of her docs mentioned something called "red man syndrome," which is basically a negative reaction if the med is infused too quickly. So they tried it, giving it at a very slow rate, and she's been fine with it. So far.

Comment

Hi DYK ... are you doing OK? I don't see you posting ...

Comment

Hi DYK
                      Glad to see you here
                      woodsmoke

Comment

Originally posted by SecretCode View Post
                        Hi DYK ... are you doing OK? I don't see you posting ...
                        Yes, I just now saw this thread and read what you had to say. Please know my prayers are with you. Try to hang in there.... :-)

Best wishes...
                        Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
                        How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
                        PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

Hi guys (and any other stray gals). Wanted to check in with the latest developments. Surgery is tomorrow morning. She was transferred to Duke last weekend, and after they repeated many of the same tests she'd already had at Carteret, they've gotten a clearer picture of what's going on. Unfortunately, it's actually worse than we thought. The infection is still there, in the pacemaker/leads, despite > month on IV antibiotics. But what they found yesterday is that, at some point, one of the leads actually poked through an artery. It basically formed its own plug by doing so, hence the reason she didn't bleed to death immediately. We have no idea when that happened, or what could have happened in the future if this hadn't been caught, but it's turned the situation from kind of, sort of, being able to watch and wait [to rid the infection via antibiotics] to no longer having any choice but to go in. They were already concerned about one of the leads, as it's been in there since 1984, and was expected to be difficult to remove, but the latest development just complicates it all even more.

Right now the plan, or hope, is that they'll be able to use the lesser invasive approach, which involves using the pouch-like area where the pacemaker is to attempt to access the leads (and, obviously, remove and replace the pacemaker and leads), but once they're in there the plan may need to change to full-blown cardio-thoracic surgery. She's due to go to the OR between 9:00 and 10:00 tomorrow morning, and her family will keep me posted. Her mother flew down there [from New York] a couple weeks ago and I'm glad she's there; there's also my friend's daughter, son-in-law, and granddaughter [she lives with them] near Camp Lejeune. It's a 200+ mile drive each way--and her daughter is pregnant.

Also, this coming Sunday would have been her son's 26th birthday. He died last year, totally unexpectedly, shortly after turning 25. He was in the Army, and had been back in the States for a couple years after returning safely from a year in Iraq. He died of heart failure on base. So we're looking at her facing his first birthday since his death...and heart surgery right before. Needless to say, she's in a very moody, subdued frame of mind right now.

Anyone who's so inclined, please send prayers, good thoughts, whatever works for you, toward North Carolina tomorrow morning. I'm a nervous f-ing wreck and will be until I'm satisfied she's going to be okay. Ironically, she heard the exact same number, 1 in 50, that I did regarding my brain surgery, although for her it's 1 in 50 that they'll need to do the more invasive surgery, while for me it was 1 in 50 that I wouldn't survive the surgery. Just odd hearing the exact same number, you know?

As for my mom...she, um, "lost" her $5,000 hearing aid recently. I'm just not even going to go there right now as it pisses me off too much to think of throwing away that kind of money, all because of vanity. At least she's behaving otherwise. For the time being.
                          Last edited by DoYouKubuntu; Mar 16, 2012, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the update DYK - good to hear from you, although I could wish for better to news.

Strength and good luck to you and everyone.

Comment

0;-
                              Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post
                              Anyone who's so inclined, please send prayers
                              Will do! :-)
                              Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
                              How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
                              PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

Working...
                              X