This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Distrowatch.com

Much has been said already about Distrowatch.com and the H.P.D rankings of various distros, in particular regarding Ubuntu 'falling' to second position behind Mint.
    Well if the H.P.D stat's in themselves are to be believed on Distrowatch, Ubuntu in the next day or two will slip into third position behind...

Dream Studio!

A re-sort of results from the last 7 days shows Dream Studio a mere 172 hits behind Ubuntu.

I realise Dream Studio has realised a new version twice in the last 6 months, but even on a H.P.D basis these figures are fanciful to say the least. The D.S forums from what I can see have approx 24 members. A search on Google (Dream Studio Linux) shows only a couple of you-tube clips apart from the official D.S sites etc.

At the same time I'm asked to believe that Kubuntu has slipped from 26 place down to 40 over the same period.
    Kubuntu 12.04 - Acer Aspire 5750G

"I don't make a great deal of money, but I'm ok with that 'cause I don't hurt a lot of people in the process either"

http://distrowatch.com/awstats/awsta....osdetail.html

PHR's are a totally worthless "ranking" of Linux distros. The "osdetail" page above shows that 47% of visitors to DistroWatch are running Windows, and only 43% are running Linux. Only 3% are running Ubuntu. The biggest ranking for Linux is "Unknown" at 38%. Which distros they are is anyone's guess.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I would like to know who those seven Commodore 64 users are.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post

The biggest ranking for Linux is "Unknown" at 38%. Which distros they are is anyone's guess.
        Why Mint of course lol!
        Kubuntu 12.04 - Acer Aspire 5750G

"I don't make a great deal of money, but I'm ok with that 'cause I don't hurt a lot of people in the process either"

Comment

PHR's are a totally worthless "ranking" of Linux distros. The "osdetail" page above shows that 47% of visitors to DistroWatch are running Windows, and only 43% are running Linux. Only 3% are running Ubuntu. The biggest ranking for Linux is "Unknown" at 38%. Which distros they are is anyone's guess.
          I agree that it is worthless. People who use Linux will probably go to the distro sites directly, even if switching, and won't be counted here. Actually, the "osdetail" stats are probably the more reliable. I think they might indicate the percentage of users who are interested in switching, or are dissatisfied with what they have. That could possibly mean that Windows users are the most dissatisfied with what they have and Ubuntu users are the most satisfied.

DistroWatch is a great site, but why would you go there? In my case I've gone there just to explore. I suspect others are that way as well and that is why all those Windows users have visited. The statistics generated from that cannot be indicative of anything more than an interest shown by those who are out to explore new territory and probably mostly those who have not spent much time with any Linux or *NIX. In fact, one can't assume that they keep what they download, or even give it a good try.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
            I would like to know who those seven Commodore 64 users are.
            hehe I'm also a DOS user and just went there with a text browser. Hopefully that will get added to their stats. p)

Comment

Originally posted by Ole Juul View Post
              hehe I'm also a DOS user and just went there with a text browser
              DOS has a TCP/IP stack?

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                DOS has a TCP/IP stack?
                hehe, DOS consists of only three files and the rest is user supplied - aka utilities. I have a couple of very good stacks and find DOS to be great for networking. It's really just a matter of loading a driver and running WATTCP or mTCP utilities. It's all minuscule so I can even stick it all on a 360K floppy for checking vintage kit. Other than that, I run DOS for text editing and file management/archiving. Automatic FTP to (and from) Linux boxen is a breeze. Telnet, SSH, FTP, wget, it's all available, but there's no point in fiddling with trying to do much with images. Browsing with Lynx is the only worth while browsing at this point in time. I post html web pages with a single command though.

Comment

I cannot access distrowatch site anymore(can do through tor only)... *great* . Maybe they get really pissed when somebody is interested in their site stats.
                  Ok, got it: Ashes come from burning.

Comment

Originally posted by rms View Post
                    I cannot access distrowatch site anymore(can do through tor only)... *great* . Maybe they get really pissed when somebody is interested in their site stats.
                    I can get to it fine....

Comment

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
                      I can get to it fine....
                      Yeah, maybe they let through to that page once or twice but few more times is already asking for trouble.

Comment

But how many of the page hits reported for any of the identified distros are from Spiders/Bots and not 'people'? Does DW track/report that?
                        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Sill works for me....

Windows = 45%
                          Linux = 40%
                          Mac = 5%
                          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

The other thing that I can think of as an explanation is that, because, I'm sharing this IP address with many other users on this wifi network, some windows machine got a "guest" which is targeting distrowatch.

Comment

Well, personally, I find the statistics to be worth a second take.

The KIND of windows interesting.

XP is 13 percent
                              Win 2008, which I found to be quite a good OS myself except for usb, is 28 percent.
                              Zip for the newer versions, except Vista.

Might one hazard the guess that they are the VERY KIND OF PEOPLE that Linux wants?

They probably know at least a little something about setting up a network, since it was quite a laborious process on anything prior to Vista, even XP could be a pain.

They might be the kind that over-analyzes everything..... gets an OS "just right" and is perfectly happy with it.... and will NEVER do the DRM thing... or the "you do not have Windows Genuine Advantage(tm)", because they never....upgrade .

So, I, personally, think that those stats are just great they are at least considering the idea of a Linux distro.

OR..... it could be that all of them are from some country where selling cracked copies of XP and 2008 is rampant....

And they are also, probably wondering if a Linux will completely replace what they have.

just a thought.

woodsmoke

Comment

Working...
                              X