This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got some new goodies today

Port #7 failed on my el-cheap-o Netgear switch the other day. That's six of eight dead. (Had I counted the uplink and waited for one more port to die, I'd have had my very own seven of nine. But I digress.)

Figuring that it's time for an upgrade, I headed over to NewEgg and splurged on some decent Cisco small-biz gear: an SG300-10 switch and an RV220W router, plus a handful of 3' cables for that fresh Ethernet feeling. Just finished the wiring and configurating and wow, verrrry nice. Should have done this ages ago. Can't wait to fiddle with all those interesting traffic manipulation options on the switch.

When I unplugged everything from the borked NetGear and picked it up, something inside it rattled...sounds like a big ball bearing rolling around in there. Time to break out the screwdriver and perform an autopswitchy, I guess.

The heatsink came unglued! Lame.

Comment

What kind of punishment* do you put your switches through? My cheap Netgear switches have given me no such trouble.

* The switches cannae handle it, Cap'n!
      I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Punishment? I dunno...maybe electrons behave weirdly in Seattle or something. I just can't seem to keep consumer-grade network gear alive for longer than a year.

Comment

I believe you have rain in Seattle. Here, it's pretty dry for most of the year. Probably more electrons though, being closer to the sky.
          I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Originally posted by SecretCode View Post
            I believe you have rain in Seattle. Here, it's pretty dry for most of the year. Probably more electrons though, being closer to the sky.
            Or maybe, there's a magnetic hill in the vicinity of Seattle.
            Netgear doesn't give me any *punishment* either.
            Last edited by rms; Feb 26, 2012, 04:36 AM.
            Ok, got it: Ashes come from burning.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
              ... I'd have had my very own seven of nine....
              You wish! I doubt the Mrs. would stand for it Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeri Ryan _7 of 9.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	639851

Please Read Me

Comment

Good one Oshunluvr. I was going to do something similar while reading this thread to see it had been done! Yeah, I would guess a lot of people would want their own 7 of 9!

Comment

There are some very "nice" pictures of Ms. Ryan out there, but this is a family forum!

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                    There are some very "nice" pictures of Ms. Ryan out there, but this is a family forum!
                    Agreed on both accounts!

Comment

It is sooooo easy to drag you guys into the gutter with nothing more than an offhand parenthetical remark

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                          It is sooooo easy to drag you guys into the gutter with nothing more than an offhand parenthetical remark
                          So, you've assumed we don't actually live in the gutter; rather, we just visit on occasion. I thank you for that....

Please Read Me

Comment

Well, when you have a bunch of mostly guys in here and you throw in a picture of her or any sexy woman (clothed I hope here), that's what you're gonna get.
                            The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

Working...
                            X