This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Icon Theming

I've been fooling with the default icon set lately primarily to see if I could customise the base set. Not wanting to replace the entire set I thought perhaps I could find a way to a) replace the folder image, and b) see if there was a way of offering a selection of folder-colours that would be relatively easy to implement. Whispers of the current set being currently under review to something like this possibly.

I've tried the inode/directory method of substitution but ran into some obvious issues using this method. Not having done this before I'm not certain how the inode method should result. Perhaps it's shortcomings are the result of a bug?, or perhaps it wasn't designed with this in mind.

So the goal is to come up with a means of applying a folder icon change including colour across the board. Having downloaded many icon themes in the past I've noticed more and more lately include an install script. Now I'm no coder, surprise surprise... :shock:

So I'm asking from those who know how difficult and involved a script like this would this be? I'm thinking along the lines of 1. provide the necessary icon images, in various sizes if required, 2. preserve the original folder icons in-situ perhaps only renamed, 3. offer a wide selection of colours and 4. done in such a way that remains usable from release to release.
    Kubuntu 12.04 - Acer Aspire 5750G

"I don't make a great deal of money, but I'm ok with that 'cause I don't hurt a lot of people in the process either"

Icons & Themes

A Feature

After the KDE 4.5 (?) the directory folder icon background has been the application-x-python-bytecode.png.

That is - If the folder icon is located somewhere else than the default and the file manager directory preview is on.

Symlinks, Oxygen - KDE 4.8:
    application-octet-stream.png -> application-x-python-bytecode.png
    application-x-sharedlib.png -> application-x-python-bytecode.png
    application-x-object.png -> application-x-python-bytecode.png

Workarounds:

a) Turn the directory preview off

b) Or change the application-x-python-bytecode.png image. At here, after the change:

and the icons can be set by the service menus: http://techbase.kde.org/Development/..._Service_Menus.

From the KDE-Apps: http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php...content=133556
    Last edited by OneLine; Feb 23, 2012, 01:07 PM.
    Have you tried ?

- How to Ask a Question on the Internet and Get It Answered
    - How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Comment

Originally posted by OneLine View Post
      Workarounds:

a) Turn the directory preview off

b) Or change the application-x-python-bytecode.png image.
      Ok. Undestood. Though I'll rule out option a) for obvious reasons.
      Now to option b. This as I see it is a workaround when using the inode directory method correct?

See my next post for a complete solution

I have managed to achieve another solution for replacing folder-icons, including working previews.

Subsitiute icon images in the following locations;

/usr/share/icons/oxygen/places/folder.png, user-home.png (all sizes).
      /usr/share/icons/mimetypes/inode-directory.png 16x16 only.

This is essentially the same as inode/directory + option b) is it not?, only without the breakage/fix you explained.

From what I can see so far, the substitution method is 99% effective.
      Need to look at 8x8 folder? for location bar icons only now ...

Last edited by bra|10n; Mar 22, 2012, 08:45 PM. Reason: Additions

"I don't make a great deal of money, but I'm ok with that 'cause I don't hurt a lot of people in the process either"

Comment

Take 2

KDE .directory file

The .directory file is a KDE folder view properties file. It contains the folder viewing settings for a directory in the KDE. It includes settings such as icon positions and view mode (icon, list, etc.). Automatically created when the view settings of a folder are modified. Hidden by default.

With the Oxygen icon theme. KDE 4.6..4.8

Setting the directory icon: Right click the folder icon > Properties > Click the folder icon. The Select Icon tool starts.

If the icon is picked from the System Icons.

The icon information is placed to the .directory file. If the yellow folder icon is picked then the .directory file has:
        Icon=folder-yellow
        The preview picture is having the right icon as the background.

If the icon is picked from the Other Icons.

The icon information is placed to the .directory file. If the kubuntu-logo icon is picked then the .directory file has:
        Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/kubuntu-logo.png
        The preview picture is having the wrong icon as the background.

The background icon is either the application-octet-stream.png, application-x-sharedlib.png, application-x-object.png or the application-x-python-bytecode.png. The application-octet-stream.png, application-x-sharedlib.png, application-x-object.png are symlinks pointing to the application-x-python-bytecode.png.

A workaround is to replace the application-x-python-bytecode.png with the wanted picture.

How I would edit a icon theme: http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...332#post289332
        Last edited by OneLine; Feb 26, 2012, 11:13 AM.
        Have you tried ?

- How to Ask a Question on the Internet and Get It Answered
        - How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Comment

Customising folders from existing Oxygen icon set

I've managed a complete solution for changing system-wide folder-icons including working previews.

Copy the existing oxygen icon set and rename it.

Subsitiute or modify the icon images in the following locations,

/usr/share/icons/oxygen-"renamed"/places/folder.png, user-home.png (all sizes).
          /usr/share/icons/oxygen-"renamed"/mimetypes/inode-directory.png (all sizes).
          /usr/share/icons/default/mimetypes/16x16/inode-directory.png.

Clear the icon cache in /usr/share/icons/default, /var/tmp and ~/.kde/cach-"your_hostname" and select set via systemsettings.

Enjoy.

Comment

Working...
          X