This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Preview of MS Office 15

Here's a preview of Microsoft's Office 15 for ARM based computers (tablets) if your interested. http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/desktop-...-40095073/#top

Looks rather like IBM's DOS shell graphical user interface which was, mistakenly, supposedly, put on a disk and it turned out people liked it...oh how far Windows has come...

woodsmoke

Comment

Looks like the old file management program we used back in the days before Windows that I can't remember the name of right now. But it was very popular. Wait! I just remembered, I think it was called PCTools.

Comment

My favorite was Xtree. I hung onto that program forever until I switch from windows to OS/2

Please Read Me

Comment

To the OP, Ugg. I friggin's hate having to use MicroSlop Office crap at work. I much prefer OpenOffice.

Please Read Me

Comment

PC Tools! Ah a blast from the past...

Comment

PC Tools was published by Central Point Software. the company was later purchased by Symantec.

Comment

Funny history, Detonate - Central Point bought Xtree and closed it down not long before it was bought by Symantec.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunlulvr View Post
                  To the OP, Ugg. I friggin's hate having to use MicroSlop Office crap at work. I much prefer OpenOffice.
                  I'm not a big fan of Microsoft software either I just highlighted it for anyone who wanted to see what its next version would look like. My philosophy is why buy software when you can get something equally as good for free!

Comment

DOS? Pctools? I remember xedit and filelist on IBM mainframes and 3270 terminals.

I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Originally posted by nickstonefan View Post
                      Here's a preview of Microsoft's Office 15 for ARM based computers (tablets) if your interested.
                      Did you notice? No ribbon!

Comment

Originally posted by steveriley View Post
                        Did you notice? No ribbon!
                        Yes! To me it looked like your typical DOS applications with menus and no icons in the interface. I wonder how easy it is to select menus on a screen just using your finger?

Comment

The second image shows a thin menu bar at the top. But the choices are in all upper case...yuk.

SCREAMING MENUS MAKE ME ANGRY!

Comment

I also preferred Xtree(gold) above PcTools, I've kept using it untill no longer possible when I went from FAT16 to FAT32.

These days and in KDE I still like Krusader with it's two panels.
                            I mostly use Dolphin and it's fine but so once in a while I have old files with non-ascii names that only MC and Krusader can handle (and rename).

Comment

Six images? That was rather a puny preview of such an extensive product. The images don't tell what the ARM version has that the PC version does not, or the other way around. Based on other reviews of Microsoft's products on ARM it appears that ARM is Microsoft's attempt to generate a lock-in similar to what they have with the PC OEMs.

The "menu" image is a pathetic collection of squares with names and minature little icons on them. How much did Microsoft pay for "usability studies" and "consumer tests" to determine that people liked that type of presentation. Microsoft's smartphone OS has a similar kind of front end which, I suggest, is one reason why their market share went from 15% 1%, dragging Nokia's with it.

Michael de Icaza wrote two great programs: Midnight Commander (mc) and Gnome. I always install mc because
                              1. It reminds me of PCTools, my favorite DOS file manager,
                              2. Like most console based apps it is lightening fast.

Did I mention it was fast?
                              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                              X