X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parent of "rebellious" kid stoops to equal immaturity

Two reactions.

* I'm astounded at the comments. Why are so many people filled with so much revenge?

* I suspect this is a complete fake. A slightly above-average amateur actor, an old laptop dug out of a closet, an empty field, a gun, and a half hour of spare time.

I assume you've never raised a teenager
    we see things not as they are, but as we are.
    -- anais nin

Comment

Actually, I have two teenagers.

Comment

I raised three - I'd never have done something like that to my kids and I doubt many parents would either, but I'll bet a lot of parents have fantasized about something like that
        -- anais nin

Comment

ps - Dad's fascbook page is a fascinating read right now.

http://www.facebook.com/tommyjordaniii
          -- anais nin

Comment

My BS detector is still pegging 11. Sorry, it all reads like the failed pilot episode of some lame half-hour sitcom script.

But, let's assume it's all true.

http://www.facebook.com/tommyjordani...50524399260846

Mine went out to about 550 people... originally. I had no idea it would become what it did.
            What a lie. The dude works in IT, Facebooks and Tweets and self-published something and hangs out on a mailing list frequented by several people I know. How can he not know his little video wouldn't light up the web?

We have always told her what you put online can affect you forever. Years later a single Facebook/MySpace/Twitter comment can affect her eligibility for a good job and can even get her fired from a job she already has. She’s seen first-hand through this video the worst possible scenario that can happen. One post, made by her Dad, will probably follow him the rest of his life; just like those mean things she said on Facebook will stick with the people her words hurt for a long time to come.
            On its own, the daughter's post probably would have been quickly forgotten. Likely not to have any long-term effect on her future. But now that her idiot father pulls this stunt, all he can think of is how it will follow him for the rest of his life? Did he not stop to think about how permanently his daughter's reputation will be damaged now?

Comment

He doesn't appear to be one for thinking things through. I figure his daughter comes by it honestly
              -- anais nin

Comment

Here's unhinged dad's book on...cloud computing!

Which received a new review today...

I'm beginning to doubt my earlier doubts...maybe this whole sad thing really is true. CBS called the guy and offered to turn their family into a reality show? Criminy.

Comment

Originally posted by steveriley View Post
                  ...I'm beginning to doubt my earlier doubts...maybe this whole sad thing really is true. CBS called the guy and offered to turn their family into a reality show? Criminy.
                  Although I disagree with his methods he does make a few valid points and I think his idea of only responding to questions on FB so his words don't get taken out of context is a good one

If one of my children blocked me from their FB account they wouldn't have a FB account. I trusted my children but that didn't mean I didn't check up on them occasionally.

When my youngest was about 15 I bought a caller ID box from the phone company and had a fairly interesting exchange with my youngest over it once.

The rule in our house was always if you wanted to stay out past your curfew you had to call early enough that you could still get home on time if we turned you down on the curfew extension. So youngest son calls about half an hour before he's supposed to be home.

kid: Dad, can I stay out late tonight?

me: No, as a matter of fact I'd like you to come home now.

kid: What? Why?

me: You blocked caller ID, which leads me to believe you don't want me to know where you are. Please come home now - we can talk about this when you get here.

kid: But...

me: Do you need a ride? I can come and get you if you want.

kid: This is so unfair.

me: Perhaps. We can talk about it when you get home. See you in half an hour.

By the time my son got home he'd had a bit of time to think and wasn't quite so outraged at my horribly unfair parenting. He walked in the door, looked at me and said "that was kinda stupid, wasn't it". I replied in the affirmative and asked if we really needed to have a conversation about it.

Better parenting through technology

Next installment: Finding His Girlfriend's Underwear Hanging In The Shower.

Last edited by wizard10000; Feb 11, 2012, 06:14 AM.
                  -- anais nin

Comment

I empathized with the guy. I had an almost identical situation with my 13 year old granddaughter who lives with me. I did not shoot a working computer, but I did take it away from her.

Comment

Working...
                    X