This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post
    ardvark, I think Steve's frustration [if we call it that] isn't so much with the people posting in this thread, but the fact that the thread's message kind of warped from its original point.
    Indeed, no frustration here; apologies, Ardvark, if my post appeared to be a direct response to your question about repos.

I am no special position to possess Kubuntu news earlier than the rest of us. The point of my post is to redirect the sky-is-falling attitude I've witnessed in a few places and also to raise awareness that what's happened this week is really more about decisions Canonical has made than anything else. Harald Sitter (apachelogger) expresses this very well in his blog post How Kubuntu Did Not Change. I'd encourage everyone to read it, if you haven't already.

Comment

Steve NAILED the situation exactly!

All other discussions were HYPOTHETICAL. I wish Canonical well in its attempts to break into the smartphone/tablet market with Unity, but it doesn't matter one iota in regards to Kubuntu's future. Even though Kubuntu still enjoys the privileges of using Canonical's infrastructure, it should be pointed out that Linux Mint KDE is offering that distro on OVER 50 servers world wide, and 25 secondary or backup servers. That's in addition to having 85 volunteer developers. Kubuntu loosing it's ONE paid developer may encourage several other volunteers to join the development effort, since ALL would then be volunteers. IF Canonical cuts off the infrastructure I have no doubt that other, volunteer structures would appear. After all, isn't THIS forum supported ENTIRELY by money donated from and services rendered by volunteers? 8)
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
        may encourage several other volunteers to join the development effort
        Indeed, and I'm already investigating how I might further engage in these efforts.

Comment

Originally posted by steveriley View Post
          Indeed, and I'm already investigating how I might further engage in these efforts.
          Awesome! Are you beconming a regular on Kubuntu-Devel on IRC? If so, I'll say hi sometime!

Also, and completely (briefly) off-topic, did you even check into Minecraft for something cool to do with your son?
          ​"Keep it between the ditches"
          K*Digest Blog
          K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by dequire View Post
            so we've had to put the Minecraft thing on hold for a bit. Looks like a lot of fun though!
            You can download a pre-release of 1.l2 by right-clicking on this link and "saving as".

In ~/.mincraft/bin/ is minecraft.jar which is about 3.8Mb. Replace it with the downloaded jar file.

That's it.

There are videos on yourtube showing the features in the 1.2 release. The biggest change is the addition of the Jungle Biome with trees that look as big as Redwoods, but are 2X2 instead of 1X1, and the vines hanging on the sides can be climbed like a ladder. Also, if you using a fishing pole to catch fish you can find a new addition to the animal kingdom, cats. Toss them a fish or two and they become domesticated, have kittens and follow you around, as long as you toss them an occasional fish. Nice thing about the Ocelot cat is that Creepers are scared of them and as long as one follows you around the creepers stay about 15 blocks away.

Fun game I was up till 2:00 AM last night playing it!
            Last edited by Snowhog; Feb 14, 2012, 12:46 AM.

Comment

Not yet, but I understand that's the place to be/
              Proba bly now more than ever, I would assiume

Actually, yeah. We started it, kinda funny learning from your kids and all...then he got called to play in the pit orchestra at his high school's musical. Pretty impressive for a freshman. That's been occupying most of his spare time, so we've had to put the Minecraft thing on hold for a bit. Looks like a lot of fun though!
              Yea it is. It's also can be a great learning tool as well. But, well, hey, I used to play a few instruments as well. That's quite an accomplishment indeed for a Freshman!
              ​"Keep it between the ditches"
              K*Digest Blog
              K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Indeed, no frustration here; apologies, Ardvark, if my post appeared to be a direct response to your question about repos.
                Not a problem, Steve, nothing to forgive.

Regards...
                Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
                How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
                PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

Hey Jerry...what did you do to my post?

Comment

hehe. He forgot to 'close' the quote. I've fixed it.
                    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Heh...don't think that's correct. I wrote the "put the Minecraft thing on hold" bit. The "You can download ... up until 2:00 AM" portion isn't mine -- that's Jerry's. But instead of appearing as a separate post, his contribution ended up under mine...?

Comment

Well, then he messed up the editing. [GreyGeek: Go to your room! No desert tonight.]
                        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

:eek:

Drats! I must have clicked "Edit Post" rather than "Reply", and didn't notice it.
                          I did that several times on the old forum... another sign of creeping senility, along with dinner bibs, zipper checks, etc....
                          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I see another problem here.

You are not using board style 'ktest1'.
                            I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                              [GreyGeek: Go to your room! No desert tonight.]
                              That doesn't seem like a punishment to me, especially if he still gets his dessert.

Comment

Originally posted by SecretCode View Post
                                I see another problem here... You are not using board style 'ktest1'.
                                The choice is stored in a browser cookie. I hadn't switched to ktest1 yet in that browser.

Comment

Working...
                                X