X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where did “piss poor” come from ?

My wife forwarded an email she recieved:

We older people need to learn something new every day.. just to keep the grey matter tuned up.

Where did "Piss Poor" come from?

Interesting History.

They used to use urine to tan animal skins, so families used to all pee in a pot.
    Once it was full it was taken and sold to the tannery.
    If you had to do this to survive you were "Piss Poor".

But worse than that were the really poor folk who couldn't even afford to buy a pot.
    They "didn't have a pot to piss in" and were the lowest of the low. The next time you are washing your hands and complain because the water temperature, because isn't just how you like it, think about how things used to be.

Here are some facts about the 1500's:

Most people got married in June because they took their yearly bath in May,
    And they still smelled pretty good by June. However, since they were starting to smell.
    Brides carried a bouquet of flowers to hide the body odor.
    Hence the custom today of carrying a bouquet when getting married.

Baths consisted of a big tub filled with hot water.
    The man of the house had the privilege of the nice clean water,
    Then all the other sons and men, then the women and finally the children.
    Last of all the babies.
    By then the water was so dirty you could actually lose someone in it.
    Hence the saying, "Don't throw the baby out with the Bath water!"

Houses had thatched roofs-thick straw-piled high, with no wood underneath.
    It was the only place for animals to get warm, so all the cats and other small animals
    (mice, bugs) lived in the roof. When it rained it became slippery and sometimes the animals would slip and fall off the roof.
    Hence the saying, "It's raining cats and dogs."

There was nothing to stop things from falling into the house.
    This posed a real problem in the bedroom where bugs and other droppings , which could mess up your nice clean bed.
    Hence, a bed with big posts and a sheet hung over the top afforded some protection.
    That's how canopy beds came into existence.

The floor was dirt. Only the wealthy had something other than dirt.
    Hence the saying, "Dirt poor."
    The wealthy had slate floors that would get slippery. In the winter when wet, so they spread thresh (straw) on floor to help keep their footing.
    As the winter wore on, they added more thresh until, when you opened the door,
    It would all start slipping outside. A piece of wood was placed in the entrance-way.
    Hence: a thresh hold.

(Getting quite an education, aren't you?)

In those old days, they cooked in the kitchen with a big kettle that always hung over the fire.
    Every day they lit the fire and added things to the pot. They ate mostly vegetables and did not get much meat.
    They would eat the stew for dinner, leaving leftovers in the pot to get cold overnight and then start over the next day.
    Sometimes stew had food in it that had been there for quite a while.
    Hence the rhyme:
    “Peas porridge hot, peas porridge cold, peas porridge in the pot nine days old”.

Sometimes they could obtain pork, which made them feel quite special.
    When visitors came over, they would hang up their bacon to show off.
    It was a sign of wealth that a man could, "bring home the bacon."
    They would cut off a little to share with guests and would all sit around and "chew the fat".

Those with money had plates made of pewter.
    Food with high acid content caused some of the lead to leach onto the food, causing lead poisoning death.
    This happened most often with tomatoes, so for the next 400 years or so, tomatoes were considered poisonous.

Bread was divided according to status.
    Workers got the burnt bottom of the loaf, the family got the middle, and guests got the top, or the "upper crust".

Lead cups were used to drink ale or whisky.
    The combination would sometimes knock the imbibers out for a couple of days.
    Someone walking along the road would take them for dead and prepare them for burial.
    They were laid out on the kitchen table for a couple of days and the family would gather around and eat and drink and wait and see if they would wake up.
    Hence the custom; “of holding a wake”.

England is old and small and the local folks started running out of places to bury people.
    So they would dig up coffins and would take the bones to a bone-house, and reuse the grave.
    When reopening these coffins, 1 out of 25 coffins were found to have scratch marks on the inside and they realized they had been burying people alive.
    So they would tie a string on the wrist of the corpse, lead it through the coffin and up through the ground and tie it to a bell.
    Someone would have to sit out in the graveyard all night (the graveyard shift.) to listen for the bell; thus, someone could be, “saved by the bell” or was "considered a dead ringer”.

And that's the truth.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Very nice GG I learned a lot of new things, truely.

Here is one for the gentle readers.

POSH. We all associate it with being "rich".

However, it started with .....the rich.....going on sailing trips along the coast of Europe and Africa.

The rich folks did not want to be on the side of the ship that would have them staring at the BIG....blue....boring.....ocean.... they wanted to look at the cities and jungle and stuff....

So.....when the ship's berthing people were checking them in they would write POSH next to the rich folks names.

Port Out, Starboard Home.... so the rich folks had their cabins on the land side on the trip!

lotsa fun!

woodsmoke

Comment

"The wealthy had slate floors that would get slippery. In the winter when wet, so they spread thresh (straw) on floor to help keep their footing."

And--so I've read--that caused a serious health hazard as the straw collected all sorts of human and animal waste, food and drink spillage, blood, and just about everything else that drops onto a floor. Same is true for modern carpeting, which is why I removed all mine! Nothing but hard floors and area/throw rugs that can be thrown away or power-sprayed clean outdoors.
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
        Very nice GG I learned a lot of new things, truely.

Port Out, Starboard Home.... so the rich folks had their cabins on the land side on the trip!
        I had heard of all of the things in the post I made, but I've never heard of POSH before. This old dog learned something new today. Thanks!
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Actually, when and where POSH came into the lexicon may be an urban legend of sorts. See Doesn't the word "posh" come from "port out, starboard home"?
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

The very first year I taught, that was... '68, there was a log cabin near the centre of the town that still had a "white lime" floor and the woman that had helped her husband build it still lived there. Of course she put down new lime regularly and swept it out regularly, but it was almost as hard as brick. It is now a tourist attraction.

woodsmoke

Comment

Fascinating info, GG. Thanks for posting.
              Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Perhaps you have heard of the expression "eating high on the hog" when referring to someone who is doing well. If you were born and raised in the deep south as I was you certainly have. The expression comes from the fact that the best parts of a hog, the hams, chops, bacon, and ribs all come from the upper part of a hog. The less desirable parts, feet, belly, and chitlins are on the lower part. So when a plantation owner in the old days would have a hog slaughtered he and his family would get all the good parts. and the rest was left to the slaves. Hence the saying indicating that someone is well to do if they are "eating high on the hog".

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                  Same is true for modern carpeting, which is why I removed all mine! Nothing but hard floors and area/throw rugs that can be thrown away or power-sprayed clean outdoors.
                  Me too, and for exactly the same reasons. I have dogs and cats and many grandchildren. I could not abide seeing my grandchildren on that filthy carpet.

Comment

Dirty carpeting ... Boy, that brought up thoughts!

It's humorous how people pay The Steamer to come into their homes to "clean" carpets.

Ever take up a wall-to-wall carpet? Pull it up, tack strips, backing pad and all, to expose bare floor and see what's under and in the carpet? If you are under the illusion that your carpets are "clean," best not to tamper with that delusion and leave your carpet down.

Got a friend whose partner owns a housecleaning outfit, runs a dozen maids. I asked my buddy for advice on buying a good, affordable vacuum cleaner, figuring that his wife should know since she's a professional cleaner with upscale, residential clients. He laughed. Ha! He said it doesn't work that way. He said they buy the cheapest vacuum they can at Wal-Mart, $50 throw-aways, something that will fluff up the carpeting making the pile look nice and fluffed with some vacuum tracks in it and making the homeowner happy to feel their carpeting is clean. The friend pointed out what we are saying here, that wall-to-wall is about the dirtiest thing you can have in your house (next to the kitchen sink) and you are not going to "clean it" by running a $400 vac over it once a week.
                    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

As for the expressions circulating in emails, I've received these for years. Occasionally, you will also see (or do your own research to find) counter-explanations. snopes is a good one to start with. For example, read down through this for "piss poor" and others:
                      http://www.snopes.com/language/phrases/wagon.asp

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                        As for the expressions circulating in emails, I've received these for years. Occasionally, you will also see (or do your own research to find) counter-explanations. snopes is a good one to start with. For example, read down through this for "piss poor" and others:
                        http://www.snopes.com/language/phrases/wagon.asp
                        I often use Snopes to research emails I receive, and thought about using it for this email, but I didn't because IMO, it really doesn't matter what people think about how folks 500 years ago used pots. I also noticed on that Snopes page something I've noticed on many others, Barbara "one shot pot" Mikkelson, who is a Canadian citizen and can't vote in this country, cites no authority except other pages on her site. (Her husband David was registered in 2000 as a Republican.). So, while she may be accurate in many of her responses, and unless she has a degree in History, hers is no better or worse than any other opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate View Post
                          feet, belly, and chitlins
                          I'm quite certain this is the first time I've ever seen the word chitlins on the Internet

Comment

Another site for phrase etymology (with a few examples):
                            http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/graveyard-shift.html
                            http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/s...-the-bell.html
                            http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/dead ringer.html
                            http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/r... and dogs.html

Basically all circulating emails are fake:
                            http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/l...the 1500s.html
                            Last edited by kubicle; Feb 02, 2012, 04:48 AM.

Comment

I was watching a movie last night, a western. During the movie one of the characters asked another "How much do I owe you?". The reply was "Two bits". When I was young Quarters and Half-dollars were called two bit pieces an four bit pieces. This comes from early in our country's history when we had a coin called a Bit. It was worth 12 1/2 cents. Eight Bits make a Dollar. I still use those terms, but I am often met with a blank stare. On another money related saying, I went to the bank the other day to cash a rather large check. The teller asked me how did I want the cash. I told her C notes would be fine. And I was met with another blank stare. She did not know that C notes means $100 bills. I've never called them anything else. It comes from the Roman numeral C for 100. I had to explain it to her. I don't think she got it though, because by the look on her face, she had never heard of Roman numerals.

Comment

Working...
                              X