This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Redhats "Grand /usr-fication of Linux" article

Again, I have no clue, but one thing that occured to me is a) it may be easier to do "cross distro stuff" but might it also be easier for the "file system to be attacked". Don't know, again, I would like to read comments by those more knowledgeable than mesef.

http://www.itworld.com/cloud-computi...fication-linux

woodsmoke

I support the idea.
    When I first started using Linux with RH 5.0 in 1998, the directory structure and use was well defined and followed. So was the boot protocol. Inittab played a more important role than it does today. /etc was less complicated than it is now. One could jump from distro to distro and feel at home. Now, the various distros have diverged so much in their "behind the curtain" activity each uses /etc, /usr, /var, etc... in different ways. Hardwsre configuration has changed drastically. Before one had display confiuration apps that allowed one to create the conf file that the video driver read when booting up. Now, Ubuntu uses Upstart. I don't know what the others use, but the longer thing go on, the farther apart the internal workings of the various distros diverge. One can download LinuxFromScratch (LSF) and learn how to build a Linux distro from scratch. Unfortunately, what you'll learn about what to put where may be different than what you'd do if you were working on Ubuntu or Fedora.

Thankfully, from the Kubuntu desktop the view is one of harmony and light! :-)
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
    X