Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EFI and Linux: the future is here, and it's awful.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blobfish View Post
    This is my point. I purchased a netbook from system76 a year ago for my mom. I did this because I wanted the smoothest linux experience possible for her. Unfortunately, power management had a bug and was a major pain. Of course, I let system76 know in their sub-forum on the ubuntu forum. I was thinking "this is why I bought it from a vendor". They will look into it and have a fix in the repo in a timely manner. They didn't. Of course I can come up with a work around, but my mom can't. I don't mean to rant...I just think it is stupid to have all these developer resources working on GUI fluff, meanwhile I don't have the full capability of my hardware. It doesn't matter how pretty anything is, if my wireless network, my power management, graphics driver or "whatever" doesn't work. It is time to stop pissing around with fluff and foster a hardware friendly environment. end rant.
    Hi all...

I think the fluff has it's place but I would agree that more efforts toward hardware compatibility and functionality are badly needed. An example that comes to mind is when I installed Ubuntu 10.04 from a flash drive on a client's netbook. The install went smoothly but when I rebooted, the system hung directly after the BIOS screen. Fortunately, I had read at some point previous that there were conflicts with Linux and the P2P (or something like that) setting enabled in the BIOS. Disabling that allowed the install to work beautifully. :-)

I doubt my customer would known how to diagnose this himself had he been the one to install Ubuntu. He would simply would have been without an OS to run on his computer as a Windows reinstall was out of the question.

Regards...
    Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
    How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
    PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

Originally posted by blobfish View Post
      It is time to stop pissing around with fluff and foster a hardware friendly environment. end rant.
      I am beginning to look at it like this...... The tablet with a touch screen is going to more than likely be the wave of the future. I think that other than for gaming purposes or bragging rights the desktop will fade away. The power system in the house will be a laptop, and the portability of the netbook, tablet, and smartphone will become the standard. As this transition happens I expect we will see a usable web based version of LibreOffice or something similar on the scene. Optimized for speed and ease of use. I think this is the area where open source will finally start to shine. As web base takes over, what a person will need at that point is the ability to connect to and interact with the web based applications and content. This will effectively eliminate Microsoft's hold on the market, and I think they know that. Hence the push to lock themselves in as the only viable method of operation.

I think the focus right now needs to be on the portable platform and the development of the web based application base and it;s ease of use. The faster it develops into an easy to use viable option, the quicker Microsoft looses it's ability to bully.

As far as hardware and driver compatibility that is pretty much controlled by the hardware manufacturer and their willingness to release the source code for development by the open source community. I believe we would see that process become a little more GPL friendly if we saw the push to the web based environment focused on. At that point the playing field will be leveled I believe. Hardware manufactures will be graded on the quality of the actual product they manufacture. The software driving the hardware as well as the ease of use of the system to the end user will be up to the distro developer and those that support and use the hardware and distro.

At this point in the ball game I believe that Mark Shuttleworth and Canonical are sitting in the best position with the right mindset to take advantage of this scenario, but we will see.

Comment

Consumers may shift to smartphones, and a few to tablets, but the majority of enterprise businesses will remain with the laptop and desktop, and so will the servers. So, PC use may decline, but there were always be a market. A LOT of the smartphone market are people who never bought computers. The big loser may be Microsoft, which is not doing will in the smartphone space, regardless of what they have tried to do. Canonical has a chance in the smartphone & tablet market... it's only chance at turning a profit.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
          Consumers may shift to smartphones, and a few to tablets, but the majority of enterprise businesses will remain with the laptop and desktop, and so will the servers. So, PC use may decline, but there were always be a market. A LOT of the smartphone market are people who never bought computers. The big loser may be Microsoft, which is not doing will in the smartphone space, regardless of what they have tried to do. Canonical has a chance in the smartphone & tablet market... it's only chance at turning a profit.
          I will agree with you on the enterprise side of things. I know I have a Jotto desk and laptop in my work truck, along with my company iphone 4s. We have all our local lans and wans tied into our servers in TX. I know that isn't going away. While I am not the bigest fan of Unity, I can see where it might come in handy on a smartphone, tablet, or netbook. Seeing that Google is starting to develope a share of web based apps and pretty Ubuntu friendly, and seeing that Ubuntu has a pretty good mix of apps in their software manager including some web based, it looks like a good direction to go. You have an OS that will function accross multiple hardware platforms and web base a host of popular as well as utilitarian apps and you should have a winning combination. I was reading where LibreOffice is planning on releasing a web based version of their office suite in late 2012 to early 2013. If they can do that and manage to keep up with the MS constant changing of their office file format, I think the playing field starts leveling.

Cononical working with Google could start degrading some of MS's demand leverage of everyone to do things their way. You would have multi platform interopribility, which is basically already there. It just needs some polishing and a little more ease of use added it to it. I think with some effort the end result would be something the public would like. A system they can interact and work with from cell phone to desktop that is basically the same. The consumer pays for the initial device and service fees, and after that it would comedown to web based or resident apps, free open source vs non free apps.

I believe the resistence in change would come from the older generations. The younger generation is all about the latest gadget and it's true functionality. Well I think I will get around, bet one of my bikes out and go for a ride.

Comment

Since AMD supports CoreBoot & Intel doesn't; how will this effect AMD64. CMIIW, bit don't intel & AMD share patents for x86_64, could M$ put enough pressure on Intel to make them take away AMD's ability to produce AMD64. This would also prevent Intel from producing a x86_64 chip (Itanium would be fine). Could linux have to move to SPARC64 (or PPC64) as it's primary processor?

@cavedweller-- I'm 22, and don't like the idea of this happeming
            Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Originally posted by jpenguin View Post
              Since AMD supports CoreBoot & Intel doesn't; how will this effect AMD64. CMIIW, bit don't intel & AMD share patents for x86_64, could M$ put enough pressure on Intel to make them take away AMD's ability to produce AMD64. This would also prevent Intel from producing a x86_64 chip (Itanium would be fine). Could linux have to move to SPARC64 (or PPC64) as it's primary processor?
              Intel's biggest problem isn't Microsoft, which is becoming increasingly irrelevant, it is mobile devices.
              And, Linux runs on more platforms than any other OS. Enterprise demands will keep workstation PCs in production for a long time. Those workstations began switching to laptops in the mid 2000's, so there will be enough laptops to go around for the next 5 to 10 years, IMO.

I'm 70 .... I'll trade ya if I can keep what I know now! Or even split it with you 50-50!
              Last edited by GreyGeek; Feb 01, 2012, 10:09 AM.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by cavedweller View Post
                I believe the resistence in change would come from the older generations. The younger generation is all about the latest gadget and it's true functionality. Well I think I will get around, bet one of my bikes out and go for a ride.
                I think this is very untrue. Im youngish and have no smartphone, no tablet, and a 10 year old laptop that has no battery. For a lot of people, like myself, mobility is not an issue. I have zero desire to take my computer anywhere with me and no need to do so. A desktop is cheaper, better in most ways ways, and easier for Linux. Mobility is the absolute last thing I need from a computer.

Comment

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
                  I think this is very untrue. Im youngish and have no smartphone, no tablet, and a 10 year old laptop that has no battery. For a lot of people, like myself, mobility is not an issue. I have zero desire to take my computer anywhere with me and no need to do so. A desktop is cheaper, better in most ways ways, and easier for Linux. Mobility is the absolute last thing I need from a computer.
                  I have 16, 18, and 20 year olds. They all walk around with phones in their hands or sit around with their phone or a laptop. We had to set rules at work concerning cells and thei ussage, because the younger guys were sitting in the trucks texting. Don't know alot of younger people that would be happy without a internet and text capable cell and a decent computer system. If it wasn't that big a deal facebook wouldn't have 800,000,000 million members, not to mention twitter, tumblr, google+. I am not youngish, but I use mobility devices on a daily basis at work. While mobility is the last thing you need a compter for.....that makes you an exception these days. If you have an IPod and an open wifi connection, you have internet access and the ability to make web based calls and text.

Comment

Originally posted by jpenguin View Post
                    Think I have to agree with GG. I'll trade you a few years.lol

There are alot of things I don't like happening. I've learned though that I am rarely consulted when they are planned. I just deal with alot of it and remember when having a bicycle was considered having good way to do stuff. I do know that having a Harley is a good way to do stuff. I remember when gas was less than $1.00 a gallon, and you could buy a hamburger at the golden arches for 50 cents. Some days I would like to be younger. Other days I am fine with the age I am.
                    Last edited by cavedweller; Feb 01, 2012, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cavedweller View Post
                      I have 16, 18, and 20 year olds. They all walk around with phones in their hands or sit around with their phone or a laptop. We had to set rules at work concerning cells and thei ussage, because the younger guys were sitting in the trucks texting. Don't know alot of younger people that would be happy without a internet and text capable cell and a decent computer system. If it wasn't that big a deal facebook wouldn't have 800,000,000 million members, not to mention twitter, tumblr, google+. I am not youngish, but I use mobility devices on a daily basis at work. While mobility is the last thing you need a compter for.....that makes you an exception these days. If you have an IPod and an open wifi connection, you have internet access and the ability to make web based calls and text.
                      At 70 I am more inquisitive than I ever was, it just takes longer to figure out which math model to apply to a problem, or to work the model. I make adjustments. IOW, I've learned to work "smarter", not harder, out of necessity. And, there are some things I don't try any more .... jogging 5 miles, weight lifting, staying up all night, playing chess against my older grandson, ...

I occasionally explain to people half my age or less how to use a feature of their iPhone or Android. It amazes me how so many young people only know how to text and call with their 3G phones. I have yet to meet one who has used FaceToFace, or installed Skype on a mobile device and used it to see who they are talking to. Most simply want 2 us txtng 2 msg ther vbf, and in the process destroy their linguistic skills.

I don't use 3G because 99.99% of all my calls are to or from my wife. She uses about 1600 to 1800 minutes a month. I might use 120 minutes on a busy month. I've used as little as 20. I don't need to see her when I talk because I know what she looks like and I'll see her in an hour or two at the most anyway. My wife and I dropped our land lines about five years ago. We consider her cellphone number as "home", because where ever she is at is home. Our cell phones keep us in constant contact when we aren't at the house.

Another reason why I don't use smartphones is because they cost too much.
                      We pay Verizon $76 for two cell phones, and we've don't have a contract. We were grandfathered in at our current rate when Alltel was bought out by Verizon. Our present cost level is not available to new subscribers. To get two cellphones with 2000 minutes each would now cost over $100 here, probably over $150 when all the charges are added in. Even if I were to get two free smartphones with a new 2 year contract for a 2000 min/mon two phone plan it would cost us $100/mo plus 35cents/min overchargers. If I were to get two smartphones and "pay as you go" it would cost us $2/Mb (not Gb!!). Or, I could add 10Gb/mo for $80, with an addtitional $10/Gb overage, to those two smartphones and the total would be about $180/mo PLUS charges. That could be welll on the way to $250/month. That's outrageous, and an example of what a collusional monopoly does to competition. In France, for example, $30/mo will get you a cell phone with unlimited calls anywhere in France at any time, 40Mb/sec Internet connection, and 200 channels of TV. Our phone monopolies sell ads promoting the viewing of movies and streaming content on smartphones and tablets. It would take only three regular length HD movies to blow through the 10Gb/mo limit. That fourth movie would cost you $30 to watch. Telcos promote "unlimited" data plans to attract 2 year contracts with extortionary cancellation fees and then later label those who would take advantage of the unlimited feature their contract legally allows them to do, "bandwidth hogs", as a justification for throttleing their bandwidth. The data is still "unlimited". They can download what ever amount of data they want to use, but what they could download in 1 hour before would now take 5 or 10 hours, and thus stripping the consumer of their contractual rights with a technicality, the telcos are free to over subscribe their bandwidth to maixmize their profits. At the throottled bandwidth there is only so much data you can download in a month.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                        I don't use 3G because 99.99% of all my calls are to or from my wife. She uses about 1600 to 1800 minutes a month. I might use 120 minutes on a busy month.
                        Have you looked into Viber or Skype voice on your phones? Or ... slightly smarter phones than you have?
                        I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Originally posted by SecretCode View Post
                          Have you looked into Viber or Skype voice on your phones? Or ... slightly smarter phones than you have?
                          Yes, but to use them would require that I activate the "Media Center", which automatically subscribes me to a data plan, which I refuse to do.

I have Ekiga, Skype and Blink set up with paid subscriptions to SIP on my laptops, so in addition to calling anyone else via VOIP for free, I can call land lines anwhere in the US and most 1st world countries for 2 cents a minute.

Yesterday I signed up with Google for their SIP, so with my Acer, my Sony or my wife's Acer One, or my iPod Touch 4 via wifi, I can talk via landline to anyone in the US for free, and most places Skype charges 2 cents for Google charges 1 cent. AND, Google's Hangout now has trial test of Screen Sharing, which only Skype has been offering.

With free landline calls to anyone in the US, 1 cent/min to land lines in the US and most First World countries, free VOIP to any other Internet user anywhere and, if I understood their marketing correctly, Google mobile apps which allow video teleconferencing via Google Video & Talk on smartphones, Google pretty much has won me over.

Only the Brosix app offers something that Google doesn't: the ability to not only screen share from either end, but the ability to take remote control of a computer from either end of a Brosix connection using you FirFox web browser, IF both computers are using Intel video chips.

Comment

Sometimes things remind me that South Africa is a bit of a third world country

Comment

Originally posted by SecretCode View Post
                              Sometimes things remind me that South Africa is a bit of a third world country
                              Be patient, American is rapidly dropping to with 3rd world status, primarily because our "leaders" in government and industry have voluntarily shipped our 1st World status, i.e., factories and high paying jobs, overseass to totalitarian regimes employing slave labor.

Comment

Yes, I hear scary things about your roads and bridges. But at least your power grid outages are due to serious weather, not due to the national power monopoly having neglected to keep sufficient reserves of coal or to maintain power stations (to make their end of year figures look good so they get fat bonuses).

Comment

Working...
                                X