Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I just saw the only car I will be able to drive in 10 years!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just saw the only car I will be able to drive in 10 years!

http://media.gm.com/content/media/us.../1012_Chev_ENV

And I am alread EN-V ous.8)8)
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

That's cute! (I don't like the color, but whatever.) The autonomous driving mode worries me a bit...
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

So that part about driving through an uncontrolled intersection has you worried, or is the the link-up to form a "caravan"? Relax, they're computer controlled. What could possible go wrong?
      Last edited by GreyGeek; Jan 25, 2012, 05:04 PM. Reason: grammar nazi function
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post
        The autonomous driving mode worries me a bit...
        More so then idiots driving? They scare me allot more

Comment

I refuse to wear a car.

woodsmoke

Comment

Originally posted by james147 View Post
            More so then idiots driving? They scare me allot more
            Especially when they vote!

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
              I refuse to wear a car.

woodsmoke
              But, it's so .... shiek!

Comment

Where do you put the groceries?

Comment

Behind the seats. There is a baggage compartment there. Also, there's probably some room under the seats as well.

What I like about the car is that it is driven robotically, automatically. Passengers can do anything they wish besides stare at the road and grip a wheel, unless they want to.

You have sat at a street light and you're the 11th car behind the first. The light turns green and you set there, waiting for the car ahead of you to move. He's waiting for the car ahead of him to move... etc... The driver in the car at the front of the line is watching some pretty thing walk down the street and never notices the light chan..... Ok,. skip that. He starts moving the instant he sees the light change, with a 2 second reaction time. Each of the successive drivers have 2 to 3 seconds reaction time. It is at least 25 seconds before your car arrives at the intersection, just as the light turns yellow. A cop is setting at the light at well, so you don't dare run the yellow.

Now, imagine those 11 cars all starting at exactly the same instant and accelerating at exactly the same rate. Even though you are the 11th car it is as if you were the first because your car reacted at the same instant. I like that. I wish there was a way to lock step cars now, and right at or 1 mph under the speed limit. It would prevent a lot of tail gaters honking at you because you won't drive 40 in a 35 zone, or 80 in a 65 zone.
                  Last edited by GreyGeek; Jan 26, 2012, 03:25 PM.

Comment

I order for this to work, would not all of the vehicles on the road have to be connected? Does that mean no uncontrolled vehicles would be allowed?

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate View Post
                      I order for this to work, would not all of the vehicles on the road have to be connected? Does that mean no uncontrolled vehicles would be allowed?
                      To be most effective yes, though it could still work with uncontrolled vehicles (your car responds quicker to the car in front moving even if its not as soon as the lights change).

Comment

And if some one in an uncontrolled vehicle on the cross street runs the red light?

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate View Post
                          That's what the video shows when it has each of the vehicles "radiating" green waves to each other. They are connected electronically and with coordinated GPS. Even commercial GPS is delivering accuracy down to less than 25 cm of error in three dimensions. Using Heximite transeivers using 40kHz distances can be measured between vehicles to within a milimeter and velocity differences to within 1/3rd of an MPH, or 0.5Km/hr.

And if one is gong to use connected vehicles to control traffic and avoid collisions then rogue vehicles would not be allowed. It would be unsafe. In that video you see cars crossing an intersection from all directions without stopping and without control signals. Cars would speed up or slow down or move left or right as need be to avoid cars around it. And, it means that someone would have to enter their travel destination before they gave the car the command to go, just like a flight plan for pilots. With the onboard computer I can imagine someone hoping into their car and speaking to it: "Car, take me to HyVee", and the HyVee in mind has already been entered in as a destination, just like current GPS devices work today. After finishing shopping at HyVee, the car is told "Car, take me home.". I could drive a car like that, even when I am 80. If the charge or fuel is getting low the car would proceed to the designated fueling station, or the nearest one, depending on the desires of the occupants.... etc..... It's fun imagining.

Comment

So eventually Big Brother would be controlling where you go. I see danger in this. Perhaps Big Brother decides that you should go where Big Brother wants you to go?

Comment

Big Brother can do that now. Last May the SCOTUS released a ruling which essentially allows the police to claim they heard, thought, suspected that someone behind your house door was destroying evidence of a suspected crime, so they broke in without a warrant. You, not seeing a warrant assumed a house break-in and try to defend yourself. If you aren't shot and killed you'll be charged with resisting arrest, interferrng with a law officer in proformance of his duty, etc. etc., etc.... Most folks don't realize how far away from the original intent of the Consitution our three branches have wondered. But, don't be alarmed, it for your security, or if you don't buy that then how about "it's for the children"?

Comment

Working...
                              X