This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Video of Shuttlesworth's new desktop

which does away with menus and uses either voice or cli to find and run the app you want to use.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=w_WW-DHqR3c

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&amp;v=w_WW-DHqR3c" target="_blank">

Last edited by GreyGeek; Jan 27, 2012, 01:23 PM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Test of replying function.

Awww you beat me to it!!! I'm jealoise!

woodgreenwithenvysmoke

Comment

Hi WoodyLongTimeNoSeeSmoke.

Comment

Hi OldTech! yes, longtime no phosphors! How ya doin?
        woodsmoke

Comment

HUD video of shuttlesworth's new desktop

They call it HUD or Head's Up Display.

I don't know if the air force people would QUTE agree with that! but... anyway, here is another take on it.

Now what is CURIOUS, is that I posted a query several times at the OO forums several YEARS ago about whether there were any plans for speech recognition for OO, since Microsith really does have a working, and very easy to train, voice recognition app which places the text in a .txt file and then you do with it what you wish.

The very curt reply was that it was not anywhere on anybody's radar(to continue the HUD theme! )

Methinks that on the back burner someplace, if the speech recognition for the HUD works out then that "might" mean that "Linux" has developed and open source speech recognition system which could be integrated into maybe ....Libre Office... in other words...you talk to OO instead of typing! Boggles the mind!

http://download.cnet.com/8301-2007_4...itching-menus/

woodsmoke

Comment

If this replaces menus, I will be an unhappy person: I might not know the exact term of the thing I'm looking for; seeing menus helps me discover functionality.

If this can be used in conjunction with menus, I will be elated: some tasks buried behind a dozen clicks can be nicely reduced to, say, "computer: locate doctor-crusher"

Comment

If this replaces menus, I will be an unhappy person
              I agree
              I guess it may suit smaller mobile devices. But, optional please...
              kubuntu 20.10

Comment

I used to have my computer talk to me when I booted it up, telling me the date and time.
                #!/bin/bash
                date +%A,%B,%e,%Y,%R | espeak -v english-us -s 160 -p-60 -w time.wav #make the wave to play
                play ~/pre.wav # espeak "Hello, Jerry, the date and time are " and I used -v en/en-us -s 160 -p 60 -w pre.wav to record it once. It is a permenant file ... a preamble.
                play time.wav # speak the time
                Cute, for a while, but it was a lot easier just to glance at the clock setting at the right end of my panel.

Linux has a lot of text to speech capability but not any speech to text capability. Probably too many patents blocking the way.

Unless Shuttlesworth signs an agreement with Dragon, or some other proprietary library, there won't be any good speech recognition in Ubuntu.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Although the voice recognition on my Android Phone isn't that bad. Wonder whether it's an evolution of that?

Comment

Heard about this. Thaks for the vid GG!

Comment

Originally posted by steveriley View Post
                      If this replaces menus, I will be an unhappy person: I might not know the exact term of the thing I'm looking for; seeing menus helps me discover functionality.

If this can be used in conjunction with menus, I will be elated: some tasks buried behind a dozen clicks can be nicely reduced to, say, "computer: locate doctor-crusher"
                      Agreed. There needs to at least be a transition or a "fallback" if the user doesn't like nor care for the HUD design. I beleive Mark did say that the traditional ("boring" in his words) menus will still be there, so that'll be a plus. He did compare HUD to Microsoft's Fluent UX (the loved and hated Ribbon). Mark Shuttleworth's blog here
                      The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

Is HUD really an expanded Gnome do?

If Ubu has been secretly working on voice recognition or if they just adapted something like Nuance from the Android phone OS, then it did occur to me that possibly Shuttleworth's HUD is really just an expanded Gnome do.

Because, in Gnome do...one clicks the icon, or has it start automatically, and one just "starts" typing and it "remembers" what you typed before and launches with a hit on the enter key.

Gnome voice control:

http://live.gnome.org/GnomeVoiceControl

just a thought.

woodsmoke
                        Last edited by woodsmoke; Feb 05, 2012, 12:17 AM.

Comment

Windows 7 has speech recognition built in, and it works pretty well, at least in a very quiet environment. (I tested it in my car and it doesn't work at all with ambient noise).

It was necessary for them to do that in preparation for a mobile device market (such as Nokia), and I think voice-activation is on the horizon for every mobile device -- the ol' "Dick Tracy wristwatch phone."

These days, where goes Google Android there goes Ubuntu. Ubuntu just needs to get itself on some devices, tout de suite!

Remember, Google put some pretty awful iterations on Android on its early devices, and putting buggy versions of an OS on devices (and letting the users troubleshoot them for you) has always been an integral part of the Microsoft business plan. Ubuntu mustn't wait to be perfect to put things on devices!

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
                          and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Comment

Working...
                          X