This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
    VB is certainly a different horse, which we all will have to learn how to ride.
    But, in a few weeks it will be natural to use.
    We were so used to the 'old gray mare' we were riding. Now, we have an Arabian stallion, and he's powerful and full of life. Learning to ride him will be interesting, but we will get him tamed.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      We were so used to the 'old gray mare' we were riding. Now, we have an Arabian stallion, and he's powerful and full of life. Learning to ride him will be interesting, but we will get him tamed.
      Yup, in a little while he'll just be a gentle, lovably little pony!

I am really enjoying this new forum. The only thing the old forum had that was convenient was the "See replies to your posts", and the one just above it, showing new posts. I have found that VB gives me essentially the same thing in "Subscribed Posts", and "New Posts".

I've also found that VB is considerably FASTER than SMF, and apparently more stable, since I have yet to encounter that old busy wheel which ends in a broken link which has to be refreshed, which plagued SMF as much as once every five minutes.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Yes. So for, vBulletin (being hosted on a Linux server!) is faster and more responsive than SMF was.

Sidebar note: You know that by your post count, and per the User Titles set here, you are a Cyborg? Because you/we are Administrators, the title Administrator overrides the user title based on post count. You can change your Title in the Admin CP, which is what I did (I wanted to be identified as the Ghost in the Machine ).

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
          I am really enjoying this new forum. The only thing the old forum had that was convenient was the "See replies to your posts", and the one just above it, showing new posts. I have found that VB gives me essentially the same thing in "Subscribed Posts", and "New Posts".
          I posted this in another thread but this will give you your posts and if the thread title is bolded there's stuff posted since your last logon -

http://www.kubuntuforums.net/search.php?do=finduser&userid=xxxxx&contenttype=v BForum_Post&starteronly=0&nocache=1

Replace xxxxx with your member ID number.
          we see things not as they are, but as we are.
          -- anais nin

Comment

Hi all...

Is it just me, or does it seem to anyone else that the number of posts (requests for help) have dropped significantly since this new forum first premiered?

Regards...
            Last edited by ardvark71; Jan 28, 2012, 02:24 PM. Reason: changed wording
            Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
            How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
            PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

That is likely true, but not for the reason you might be thinking.

When the old KFN was shutdown, a mass emailing to our members was sent out using the email address each user registered with, informing them of the change with instructions on how to access the new site using their existing user name.

If the email address was a bogus one, or subsequently changed but not updated in their user profile, they would not have received the email. So, not all of our registered members have made it here - yet.

New members are joining the new KFN, so the questions for help will get asked.

Comment

Hi Snowhog...

Thank you for clarifying that. I didn't receive an e-mail from KFN (and my address was legit,) so I didn't think of it from that particular angle. I come here every day, so I didn't miss any of the excitement. :-D

Regards...
                Last edited by ardvark71; Jan 28, 2012, 03:08 PM. Reason: Changed wording
                Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
                How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
                PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

That you didn't get the email when your email account is legit is worrisome. Who do you have your email with - Gmail; Google; ??

Depending on how the email was addressed as coming from, or if it used the cloaked Unknown Recipient as the To addressee, your email server might have blocked it.

Comment

That you didn't get the email when your email account is legit is worrisome. Who do you have your email with - Gmail; Google; ??

Depending on how the email was addressed as coming from, or if it used the cloaked Unknown Recipient as the To addressee, your email server might have blocked it.
                    Hi Snowhog...

I have DSL service with Centurylink, formerly Qwest, so my address ends with the suffix "@q.com"

I would have to contact them to see if any special filters are in place.

Regards...

Comment

This is a test to see if mine works.

Comment

Just as a point of information, since I am here and set up.... I also did not receive email notification, nor, when I tried to have the new forum email me my password (to a very legit address) was there any response to multiple attempts. Snowhog will recognize that @acsalaska.net should have passed the message to me, had it been sent. I checked the server to see if it had been trapped, but there was never anything there.

Comment

Originally posted by growlebear View Post
                          Just as a point of information, since I am here and set up.... I also did not receive email notification, nor, when I tried to have the new forum email me my password (to a very legit address) was there any response to multiple attempts. Snowhog will recognize that @acsalaska.net should have passed the message to me, had it been sent. I checked the server to see if it had been trapped, but there was never anything there.
                          That isn't good. How many of our registered members didn't get the email notice that Open Source had vBulletin send out? Why isn't the 'email me my password -- I forgot what it is' function not working? Open Source and the Administrators need to look into this. Thank you for the information.

Comment

I had to go through it twice. I got the first e-mail, went to check in and was told that the e-mail had been sent again, I went and checked and clicked the second one and then I was in. That was a couple of days ago, probably a few hours after everything actually got to working, I was clicking the "index" link, and didn't know about the .net link.

woodsmoke

Comment

That isn't good. How many of our registered members didn't get the email notice that Open Source had vBulletin send out?
                              I got the email a couple of days after having tried to log in, found it all changed, and went through the password reset process (which worked fine for me).

I presume the number of emails sent out was pretty large and that delayed the sending ... also perhaps there's the perennial problem of bulk mailings like that being incorrectyl trapped by spam filters.
                              I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Working...
                              X