Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[SOLVED] Disconnecting Windows XP from wireless network using cmd...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Disconnecting Windows XP from wireless network using cmd...

Hi all...

I need a little help here. Admittedly, networking is definitely not one of my strong suites.

The system I wrote about here is now logged into a unsecured wireless network that it shouldn't be on. There is no wireless icon in the toolbar to access the connection nor am I allowed into the network connection settings. There is no way, graphically, to disconnect the system.

I can access cmd and have tried to use the "netsh wlan disconnect" command, however, this copy of XP doesn't recognize it for some reason. I thought about using the "ipconfig /release [adapter]" command but I'm not sure if that is particularly safe. I want to be able to recconnect the system to the correct network.

Is there a safe way of doing this without possible messing up TCP/IP?

Thanks!
    Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
    How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
    PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Re: Disconnecting Windows XP from wireless network using cmd...

netsh has evolved over time and gained functionality with each Windows release. Not only is the wlan context not present on XP, the command itself can be flaky. First, try this:

netsh interface set interface interface-name disabled

If that doesn't work, there are thornier options. I'm guessing, based on your description, that you need to associate the wireless NIC with a different network than the one it's choosing now?

Comment

If you open "Network connections" from "Control Panel" and select the wireless connection, then right click on it and select "Properties" then check the block to show an icon then you will have an icon in your tray. You can then click on this icon and one of the options will be to show available wireless networks. There will be a button to disconnect it from there.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley
        I'm guessing, based on your description, that you need to associate the wireless NIC with a different network than the one it's choosing now?
        Hi Steve...

Yes, I do. I forgot to mention that once a wireless connection is disconnected on this system, the wireless icon on the toolbar reappears....and disappears again after it's connected. Does the command you mentioned simply disconnect the connection and allow for a reconnect to another network or would it also affect TCP/IP or the IP addresses in some way? If the former and if the icon did not reappear, how would I locate and connect the system to the right network the same way, through cmd?

@Detonate: Both "Control Panel" and "Network Connections" are completely disabled, there is no way to access them on this system.

Thank you both for your help!

Regards...
        Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
        How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
        PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

I just finished reading through the thread you referenced. That computer you're managing has been configured so far out of normal that I can't think of many other options to recommend. I haven't touched a Windows XP computer since mid-2004 so my memory of that operating system is quite rusty. Furthermore, with each service pack, major portions of XP's functionality changed. So your ability to exercise certain administrative functions on a locked down computer depends largely upon what functions the original configurator remembered to disable and what service pack the computer is running. Undoubtedly you are familiar with Google; now's your chance to sharpen your 133+ 534rch 5ki11z

That said, the command I provided above, if it works, will completely disable the interface, which isn't the same thing as simply removing the current wireless association. Unlike Windows 7 (and Vista), XP's command line is fairly primitive. Certain WMIC commands might work, so you might learn how to use those. Alternately, you could try running third-party tools copied to a USB stick. Potential candidates include wifi_config and DevCon.

Comment

That said, the command I provided above, if it works, will completely disable the interface, which isn't the same thing as simply removing the current wireless association. Unlike Windows 7 (and Vista), XP's command line is fairly primitive. Certain WMIC commands might work, so you might learn how to use those. Alternately, you could try running third-party tools copied to a USB stick. Potential candidates include wifi_config and DevCon.
            Hi Steve...

Thank you so much for your help and the links you provided.

Unfortunately, I can't install any software on this system in any way. However, the Lord gave me an idea that should do the trick. Take the computer to my apartment and turn it on. Once XP sees that the wireless network is no longer available, the icon in the toolbar will show. At that point, I can go into the wireless settings and delete the network it was logging onto! When I take it back to the room it was in, the icon will show again offering networks to log into. Praise Him for that, I was racking my brain trying to figure out how I was going to do this with the system set up the way it is.

Thanks again for your help...

Comment

As per your other thread. If you have the key printed on the back of the computer, all you need is another XP install CD. If you don't know anyone who has it, simply torrent one - it's not a pirated edition if you supply the product key. That being said, you might have a tough time setting up all the drivers and stuff.
              "The only way Kubuntu could be more user friendly would be if it came with a virtual copy of Snowhog and dibl"

Comment

Originally posted by de_koraco
                If you have the key printed on the back of the computer, all you need is another XP install CD.
                No, that no longer works. OEM license keys cannot be used to register a retail install CD. There are various documented hacks to get around this, but eventually WGA or some other update will discover what you did and neutralize the installation.

Comment

No, that no longer works. OEM license keys cannot be used to register a retail install CD.
                  How about an OEM CD? I bet those can be found online. Also, can't one call up Microsoft, explain the situation to them, and download a copy of XP from one of their servers or something?
                  "The only way Kubuntu could be more user friendly would be if it came with a virtual copy of Snowhog and dibl"

Comment

How about an OEM CD? I bet those can be found online. Also, can't one call up Microsoft, explain the situation to them, and download a copy of XP from one of their servers or something?
                    Hi all...

Lord willing, the system is going to be replaced with one that I just installed Ubuntu 10.04 here recently. The manager is ok with the swap but final approval must come from the owner. However, if not, this might be a good way to get a fresh, workable copy of XP on the system, provided the OEM CD is not limited to just one license key.

Regards...

Comment

The stuff you find on torrents is loaded with malware. Avoid it. I quit counting the number of friends' PCs in Asia I had to rescue from pirated copies of Windows when the count exceeded three digits.

As for getting XP bits from Microsoft, availability ended 22 October 2010. If you didn't make your own backup, you're SOL. There has been one exception: downgrade rights for OEM-installed Windows 7, but even that program might be concluded. Microsoft's explanation is unclear.

Comment

The stuff you find on torrents is loaded with malware. Avoid it. I quit counting the number of friends' PCs in Asia I had to rescue from pirated copies of Windows when the count exceeded three digits.

As for getting XP bits from Microsoft, availability ended 22 October 2010. If you didn't make your own backup, you're SOL. There has been one exception: downgrade rights for OEM-installed Windows 7, but even that program might be concluded. Microsoft's explanation is unclear.
                        I don't think thats quite right ...........I have an original XP disk that I just (as in last week) installed into Vbox and was able to get SP2 and SP3 installed along with all the updates and MSE from the Microsoft web site.

not that that helps @ardvark71 with his problem but if you have XP you CAN get it up to date & registered .

LOL should I copy it and make a torrent for ya ............just kidding the new box with Ubuntu 10.04 is a much better solution

VINNY

i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                        16GB RAM
                        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright
                          I don't think thats quite right ...........I have an original XP disk that I just (as in last week) installed into Vbox and was able to get SP2 and SP3 installed along with all the updates and MSE from the Microsoft web site.

not that that helps @ardvark71 with his problem but if you have XP you CAN get it up to date & registered .
                          Updating an existing install (or a fresh install from a CD you have) is not the same thing as ringing up Microsoft and asking to download fresh XP install bits. Outside of a TechNet or MSDN subscription, I don't know of any other way to get installation media for XP anymore.

Comment

Ok, guys, thanks to the Lord's idea, I got it squared away! The network has been changed over and it's working fine...as far as the internet connection goes!

Matter solved.

However, I did notice that the system has started freezing up during boot, possibly hardware or malware related. I would need to run some tests (if possible on this system) to try and get an idea which. I think this system's days are drawing to a close, at least how it is now configured.

Thank you, guys, for your help and information, it is much appreciated!

Regards...

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright

Updating an existing install (or a fresh install from a CD you have) is not the same thing as ringing up Microsoft and asking to download fresh XP install bits. Outside of a TechNet or MSDN subscription, I don't know of any other way to get installation media for XP anymore.
                              OOPS I misunderstood ya ..........(should have read the link)

VINNY
                              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                              16GB RAM
                              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
                              X