This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would you do?

We had several relatives over for lunch yesterday, and one of them did something she's notorious for doing--disregarded my EXPLICIT request that she bring nothing but herself, and came armed with assorted food, including a big casserole of macaroni and cheese. Great, except that I REALLY and TRULY did not want anyone bringing anything, as I already had the meal planned out--and its Mexican theme left no room for mac & cheese. A few days earlier she called and asked "do you like carrot cake?", and I said, yeah, I love carrot cake, then she said "okay I'll bring one!" I said, VERY CLEARLY, no, I already have dessert planned, please don't bring ANYTHING, just bring yourself.

As I said, she's notorious for doing this, and I'm not the only one annoyed by it. My sister told me that she's gotten really irritated when this relative has pulled the same thing at gatherings she and her husband hosted, and she was as pissed as I was yesterday. I didn't SHOW it--I tried to phrase it as politely as possible, but I basically said "I TOLD you not to bring anything! " You know, like not in an angry way, but still truthful.

My question is, what would you do in a similar situation? Bearing in mind that I was ultra-explicit about saying not to bring any food. Honestly, I find it insulting, although I'm POSITIVE that that's not at all how it's intended. But it hits me that way, like she has to bring something in case there's not enough food for everybody or the food isn't edible. (No, she's not vegetarian, but everybody knows everything in this house is.)

By the way, I made my famous killer fajitas (they're simply a foolproof, guaranteed success), served with avocado slices and chopped tomato, along with [vegetarian, of course] refried beans, then had pound cake with warm blueberry compote on top for dessert. YUM!
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Re: What would you do?

My former wife had a sister that did a similar thing for Christmas gatherings that, basically, ruined it for everybody.

There are a LOT of kids in the total family, well into 11 as I remember. Plus all the parents.

After a while grandma said, ok, here is what we do.

We draw a card for a "boy/girl/man/woman", you buy ONE present for that person only, for a kid no more than ten bucks(as I remember it) and 15 for adult, or something like that.

Everybody agreed, it went ok for one Christmas, and the next time she "just had to get this and that for the kids" and this and that for the adults....

And, on top of that....she was the one with no money.

Basically it ruined the thing, nobody could stop her, she said, ok I won't do it again, but then sowed up with maybe three or four expensive things for random people.

That lead to other things, basically grandma and her didn't talk for about 6 years until grandma was being wheeled down the hall at the hospital for a heart surgery.

Sometimes the best way to get their attention is to slap them up side the head. Only in this case, take the dish and put it on the hood of her car.

otherwise, you are just stuck.

woodsmoke

Comment

When Alice throws a party at her place, Alice gets to stay in her comfort zone but none of her guests do. Bob is so afraid of being completely away from his comfort zone that he invests the time and effort to create a bit of "portable comfort zone" that he can bring with him. No matter how vociferous Alice may become, Bob will never cease this behavior, so long as he knows that he can get away with it.

Move your event to a neutral non-aligned location where people are already accustomed to surrendering their personal comfort zones. Rent a party house, book the back room at a restaurant, anything where the food is provided by a third party. Or secretly prepare it all yourself but hire a couple guys from two-men-and-a-truck to deliver it to your pre-determined non-aligned location at the specified time.

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke
        My former wife had a sister that did a similar thing for Christmas gatherings that, basically, ruined it for everybody.
        So we're not alone!

Sometimes the best way to get their attention is to slap them up side the head. Only in this case, take the dish and put it on the hood of her car.
        I hadn't thought of that, but you might be onto something there.

Originally posted by SteveRiley
        Move your event to a neutral non-aligned location where people are already accustomed to surrendering their personal comfort zones. Rent a party house, book the back room at a restaurant, anything where the food is provided by a third party.
        Won't work--my mom isn't really leaving the house any more except for doctor visits. The point of having things over here is that we can all get together while my mom is still at home...or living.

Or secretly prepare it all yourself but hire a couple guys from two-men-and-a-truck to deliver it to your pre-determined non-aligned location at the specified time.
        That's another idea I'd never thought of! The only problem is that I LIKE cooking and I like knowing that everybody knows I made a wonderful, cruelty-free meal to enjoy while chit chatting. I'd STRONGLY prefer to just figure out a way to get through this particular relative's head that when someone says "please don't bring anything" they actually MEAN it.
        Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Honesty (usually) always works, but must be delivered in an even, warm, positive/upbeat thankful tone of voice.

Examples ...

Her carrot cake: "Wow, that looks wonderful! I already have dessert for this meal, but I'll put this in the frig for later. [You might want to take some home with you, too.]" Or, "Maybe someone might want to take a piece home afterwards. Here let me take it and set it aside for now."

Mac & Cheese: "That's a favorite, but I'm afraid it won't go with the meal I prepared--Mexican, and I made my fajitas! And you're going to love it. Complete with dessert and sides ...[etc..]. Let me put this in the frig to keep it fresh, and you can take it home for tomorrow's dinner ... [or, if you don't mind, I'll keep some of it for tomorrow.]"

Something like that -- straightforward, matter-of-fact, warm honest, in your own tone and language.

After the first time, you probably won't have a problem again. And/or, I suppose you can always say the obvious upfront when inviting people: I've got a nice surprise dinner, plenty of food, main dish, sides, and dessert, one of our/my favorites, kind of on the gourmet edge, and I would ask you not to bring any more food to my house this time! We're going to be stuffed when you see the meal I'm fixing for you." And/or ... in a fun, friendly tone, even joking tone, "This is not a potluck [boys and girls]! This is MY dinner for YOU! And you'll love it. Just show up and bring yourself."

If honesty fails, well, then we'll have to dig into this a little deeper ... ;-)

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Well, I think the quote from Don Juan/Carlos Castaneda in Woodsmokes sig line pretty much sums it up for me.

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu

My question is, what would you do in a similar situation?
              Well ....

I guess the bigger question is, what's more important to you -- controlling the details and menu of the event, or enjoying the social interchange with the relatives?

I have a truly PITA brother in-law, and we simply don't invite my sister and him to our house. She made her choice, and I have made mine. She knows I still love her, but I don't love the time I have to put up with his mouth and ego, and so she can have him, because I don't want him around. So one question is, did you invite someone that you should have just skipped? It seems her reputation for doing what SHE wants to do is well-known and established -- you should not have been surprised. Look at the situation from her viewpoint -- is she very uncomfortable showing up at your house empty-handed, even if that was your request? Or alternatively, if it was important that she be included in the group, then I would say you should have put some flexibility into your plan to account for the likely disruption of good ole Aunt Ruth. Put the mac and cheese on the table where anyone who wants it can have it, and try not to think about it while you enjoy the conversation.

I've got a vegan daughter and a diabetic brother, and I'm an omnivore. With 5 married siblings, family events are assumed to be somewhat socially awkward, on a good Christmas. It's not the time for rigidity or high expectations -- we just need to remember the common courtesies that we were taught as children, and keep a healthy level of respect for the deeply-held views of others (wrong as they may be ). And it's not forever -- for a few hours it should be possible to find the areas of common interest, reminisce about the old times together, and steer clear of religion and presidential politics.

My $0.02 worth, and a bargain I'm sure.

Comment

"If honesty fails, well, then we'll have to dig into this a little deeper ... ;-)"

What dibl says is what I mean by "dig deeper." As for the Don Juan quote, remember that was one of mine! (tell 'm Woody!)

Well, you could drop the hint to this relative to bring one of YOUR favorite and very expensive desserts (that you will probably end up stashing away in your frig for later ...)

When it comes to family events, I find it difficult to control a "gourmet menu presentation." That's much easier to do with a small group of friends. With family, it is usually more of a free-for-all.
                An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

You say thanks, put the M&C in the fridge, toss it into the bin on the next day (or give it to a neighbor or pet), problem solved. Some people just love to cook for various reasons, normal or crazy ones.
                  "The only way Kubuntu could be more user friendly would be if it came with a virtual copy of Snowhog and dibl"

Comment

She might be one of those people who never like to turn up empty handed. Just except it and put it away in your fridge for another time.

Comment

I don't know if it's a function of my nerves being extremely frayed [from taking care of my mom] or what, but I simply find this relative's behavior ANNOYING as hell and unacceptable. And not inviting her isn't an option--because I LOVE her, we all do, she's a great person. It's just this habit of showing up laden with food--and other things, which I hadn't bothered mentioning because it didn't seem important.

On Sunday's visit, she not only came armed with the casserole, but a fruit plate (with this AMAZING Buddha's hand fruit, which I'd never seen in person before, only on TV), soft pretzel balls for my mom the pretzel lover, a huge bag of oranges (um...we have four orange trees lining our driveway...and they're producing like crazy right now...), AND a slew of gifts she brought back for everybody from a recent trip to Italy.

Here's the amazing Buddha's hand fruit for those who've never seen one:

[img width=400 height=265]http://www.smartassproducts.com/images/kubuntuforums/Buddhas_hand_fruit_011512_02a.jpg[/img]

The consensus in the family is that she not only doesn't like showing up empty handed (which I understand, really I do), but it's kind of like she wants to one-up everybody else. I don't even know if she thinks about that consciously or if it's just something in her. All I do know is that, as I said before, I find it annoying AND insulting.

As for being direct with her...what would you call my clear, explicit request on the phone that she not bring ANYTHING but herself? I said very clearly that I had everything planned out and didn't need anything, and really just wanted her to show up, period. How was that not good/clear/blunt/to the point enough?

Comment

One cannot change the behaviors of another. Only the other can change their behaviors -- if they want to. Given that, and the fact that you know what the behavior is, you have two choices: Don't invite the person to events, or invite them and just accept them for who they are and what they do.
                        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                          just accept them for who they are and what they do.
                          ...and what they brung!

Comment

Yeah, I don't know. I'm very conflicted on this. Like I said, we all love her and she's really a wonderful person. I'd never even consider not including her in family gatherings like this recent one. But I find it hard to feign gratefulness or graciousness when accepting something I made really clear NOT to bring.

The last time she pulled this, in September, I LITERALLY didn't have room in the fridge for any additional stuff, so it took some acrobatics to squeeze things in. Again, if she had just LISTENED to my request not to bring anything, there wouldn't have been a problem.

Comment

Detonate, yes I got it from qqmike.

My particular bulb is not that bright ... lol but I recognize brilliance in others!

woodsmoke

Comment

Working...
                              X